The nature of time

Asex

Is the essence of time getting from some state of things to another like getting to a state of harmony that balances some initial disturbance or is the essence of time not the getting from some initial state of things to some final but the going, traveling without a destination?

That is a great question. I would have to say the latter of two choices, but that's because I am a free thinker.

PastryBubbles

If my understanding of entropy is correct, it would eventually move toward a more balanced, but not necessarily harmonious state.

I've heard hypothesis that time really doesn't exist. It is basically a steady state of now. Time appears to move because of the movement and transitions of matter.

I also heard that time flows from one fixed moment to the next, like scenes in a film. So each event in time is permanently fixed and exists forever, if I understand correctly.

I find it quite useful to see time as merely another dimension. I know there are other crazy theories on time, but they are not practical for everyday use.

Peaceful Demon

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly, timey wimey stuff."~10th Doctor from the episode 'Blink'

Sorry I just had to put that in, tbh though I still see that as one of the best explanations.

Thinking about entropy I wonder as everything tends to take a more settled and peaceful and calm state, what was the force that initiated everything and formed it as such a restless mess?

Tracing time backwards we have entropy, entropy... entropy and then BAM! the initial infinite enthalpy(anti-entropy) that created all.

That is against the logic entropy follows so it is inconsistent to me, if that's the word.

Thinking about the two options in my first post, on one hand there can't be a first and a last moment of time.

On the other hand I can't deny the existence of the link cause-effect.

Not convinced it exists.

brightberry

I don't think that time (as in you could time-travel around on the 4th dimension or whatever) exists, but the construct as an idea works quite well for us.

Honestly, I think that time is only a social construct because our brains like to store memories in order, and then we had to find the distances between our memories, and one thing led to another.

I think it'd be nice if society shifted focus away from the "it's gotta be on time" mentality. I think we burn ourselves out trying to reach those goals so often.

• 2 weeks later...
Asterion Orestes

I don't think that time (as in you could time-travel around on the 4th dimension or whatever) exists...

"4th dimension" may be accurate enough. Einsteinian physics finds that time is not separate from space, hence "space-time."

• 2 weeks later...

I think that time is something that we as humans created. It seems that everything WE do must have a start and a finish. That is what is different between humans and nature. We think that the world must have started at some point, but in reality it always was. I'm confusing myself a little.

Basically the way I have it worked out, is that to follow Murphey's law, there must be an infinate amount of universes to make every possible thing possible. Thus, the creation of Earth could infinately vary, and maybe have never happened. This makes the existence of earth turn into a Schrodinger situation in which the state of the Earth is never actually confirmed until we find out- which is not possible. Thus every instance of all these universes is given its own thread in the infinate chain of time. But time is not actually a dimension and is only our invention. It would not make sense for the universe to HAVE time because why bother with measuring when literally everything is theoretically infinate.

This is just what I think of while eating my cereal and stuff. Maybe I'm psychotic who knows

From Beau Lotto's TED talk on optical illusions:

The brain didn't actually evolve to see the world the way it is. We can't. Instead, the brain evolved to see the world the way it was useful to see in the past. And how we see is by continually redefining normality.

Yep I believe time is the fourth dimension but we just see time as just linear. But time is affected by speed. The faster you go, the less time you experience. I think that is just fascinating :)

Even in subjective experiences, time isn't linear. If you ask a person to describe their first kiss, they may tell you that it felt like eternity. Just one random example.

Even in subjective experiences, time isn't linear. If you ask a person to describe their first kiss, they may tell you that it felt like eternity. Just one random example.

Sorry I meant linear as meaning that the future is the future and the past is the past. i.e. time moves forward.

I don't think that time (as in you could time-travel around on the 4th dimension or whatever) exists...

"4th dimension" may be accurate enough. Einsteinian physics finds that time is not separate from space, hence "space-time."

And why on Earth are space and time interwoven...

• 4 weeks later...

I like to think of space and time as individually necessary for existence. Both have an infinite number of infinitesimal dimensions, always self-adjacent and intersecting each other. Without space, time would be pointless and without time, space would be meaningless; both are essential to weave the Fabric. Unfortunately, our dimensional perceptions are limited. To see the complete scope of the Veil--what we could know is unfathomable.

...But I'm no physicist, after all.

Archived