Ace rings

Ennis

1. 1. Do you have an ace ring?

• Yes
    • No
    • Going to
    • I used to
    • Yes, but I keep forgetting to put it on
  2. 2. If yes, how long have you been wearing it?

• a month or less
    • 1-6 months
    • 7-12 months
    • 2-3 years
    • longer
    • N/A
  3. 3. Has anybody you weren't out to ever recognized it as an ace ring (except on AVEN events)?

• No, never
    • Once
    • Twice
    • Three or more times
    • N/A
  4. 4. I don't wear an ace ring because...

• ... nobody would recognize it anyway
    • ... I dislike wearing rings
    • ... I don't belong to the asexual spectrum / still questioning
    • ... I couldn't find one I liked
    • ... I don't want other people to ask what it means
    • ... I'm afraid the ring might eat my finger!
    • Other
    • N/A
    • ...I never heard of it before

This poll is closed to new votes

Just a few questions concerning ace rings. To those who don't know: An ace ring is a black ring on the right middle finger.

If there is an answer missing, please comment. I will add it for you :cake:

One of the options should be: Yes, but I keep forgetting to put it on.

I wear an ace ring. I've been wearing it since approximately May/June of last year, so I guess it's been about 8 months. No one's ever asked me what it means, but that's okay, I wear it as more of a personal symbol than I do for ace visibility.

Méshie Péshie

I stopped wearing mine because I feel that other people wearing a black ring on their middle finger could NOT mean anything and by asking, one could risk outing themselves to a complete stranger that might feel inclined to disprove asexuality.

I do feel we should swap the black rings for ace-flags or something, coloured rings.

The Great WTF

I've gone through ten rings in three or so years because I keep forgetting to take them off when I'm working and thus destroy them, but recently it's come to my attention that a small but vocal subset of the ace community has decided to modify the ring tradition to make it a sort of relationship symbol by having it worn on the middle finger of the right hand if one is single and on the middle finger of the left hand if one is in a relationship. I am vehemently opposed to a symbol of our community being used for a relationship status, particularly because it's exclusionary of people who are poly or aro, and don't want to deal with people assuming I'm free because I refuse to wear my ring on the "appropriate" finger, so I've stopped wearing it altogether.

I always dream of some fellow ace recognizing my ring. Just because I actually want to meet another ace at some point.

I've worn my ring for a little over a year probably, and at this point it's become such a central part of my wardrobe that I almost always wear it. (Though I wear a lot of jewelry anyway.)

I've gone through ten rings in three or so years because I keep forgetting to take them off when I'm working and thus destroy them, but recently it's come to my attention that a small but vocal subset of the ace community has decided to modify the ring tradition to make it a sort of relationship symbol by having it worn on the middle finger of the right hand if one is single and on the middle finger of the left hand if one is in a relationship. I am vehemently opposed to a symbol of our community being used for a relationship status, particularly because it's exclusionary of people who are poly or aro, and don't want to deal with people assuming I'm free because I refuse to wear my ring on the "appropriate" finger, so I've stopped wearing it altogether.

I wouldn't recongize a ring on a left hand being ace honestly. As attached, sure if on the ring finger, but that's it. It's not a dating symbol, it's a community symbol! It is of course your choice, but I hate that "they" make you not want to wear your ring.

I love, love the Ace ring idea. Like a poster above, it is a reminder that I DO belong somewhere, as I struggle through my day in an overwhelmingly sexualized society.

I also dream of it being noticed, one day - either by an ally or fellow Ace :) Who knows, if more of us start wearing them, it could happen!

Personally I like the black ring on middle finger as our symbol - it is not too flashy, but noticeable enough if you are looking for it.

:)

I have one. I often wear it around my neck on a string, because it gets in my way all the time when it's on my hand. I don't wear it for recognition, though. I used to wear a silver ring on the same finger, but I lost it on a run once. I was going to replace it with another silver one when I discovered the concept of ace rings and figured, why not? I'm sure if I lose this one, I'll just replace it with another silver one, or whatever whim suits me at the time. I just like having a ring on that finger. Always have. As Méshie said, someone wearing a black ring could easily mean nothing at all. For me, it's just a ring. I like the colour, and I am not likely to confirm anyone's suspicions regarding my sexuality based on that ring.

ozzythefabulous

I love my ring no ones ever asked about or recognised it but it's nice to remind myself there are others out there ^_^

Grumpy Alien

I've had a few for a few years but only just started wearing one regularly in the past few months. I secretly want someone to pick up on it but no one has, nor do I really expect them to.

Never heard of this, I want one!

Amazon.com has quite a few, starting less than $10 if you are on a budget :) Just go on the site & type in "Ace ring" in the search

I hope this poll gets some more votes/attention, because I've always been curious how widespread the practice is. Based on the results so far, it seems that a surprising number of people in this thread wear the rings, but that there's very little awareness of them outside the community.

I have one but don't wear it most of the time since (and I will be honest) I don't feel 'worthy', I'm still sort questioning and don't want anyone to ask what it means.

I own three black rings and have worn them regularly since 2012. No one has asked me about it. But, I wear it for myself as a reminder of how proud I am of what I am. And nobody can ever take that away from me.

I hope this poll gets some more votes/attention, because I've always been curious how widespread the practice is. Based on the results so far, it seems that a surprising number of people in this thread wear the rings, but that there's very little awareness of them outside the community.

I think as exposure of asexuality goes up, the ring may come into discussion as well.

Love mine! Black LOTR ring. It's lead to a couple of discussions on LOTR and Asexuality. No one has recognized it as an Asexual symbol, yet. Which is fine, as I wear it for myself, not so much as an advertisement. :)

Took me a while to get the size right. *A size 15 for crikey's sake! :o :P*

Deleted Person

I think my brother might have known what it meant because when I first wore it at his house he interrupted a conversation to ask why/when/where. Unfortunately his questioning was so strong/unexpected that I completely backtracked and said it was just a ring instead of using it to bring up asexuality with him (which would have been a good opportunity). Since then I think he's mentioned it once more that I'm still wearing it, so maybe he suspects I don't know.

I wear the ring for me, but one thing I really like about it is that it isn't a bold statement that everyone will notice. If I want to be open it's an ace ring, if I don't it's "just a ring", and if I see someone else wearing one and I want to say something I can say "Oh, ace ring!" and if they don't understand I can reply "You know it's cool! I wear one too so I thought it was a funny coincidence." without having to out myself. I like having a symbol that I can bravely show off... that can also be completely invisible.

I don't own or wear the ring. For my reason, I stated 'other'. 'Other' being why should I? If others wish to wear it, cool, that is their right, but I don't need a symbol to feel good about what I am. I just am what I am and don't need to justify myself to anyone.

I actually wear my wedding ring on my right middle finger. I didn't know that it was where the ace ring goes at the time. I had lost a good deal of weight and it just fit on that finger better than my left ring finger. When I found out about the ace ring, I thought it was oddly appropriate. I don't particularly care to get any other ring specifically for that purpose, though. I never was much of a jewelry wearer.

I've never been the jewellery type. I rather invest my limited funds in more useful things and not something that'll get in the way with any work or washing my hands. I also don't like strangers especially if they interact with me so I probably wouldn't wear it in public anyway.

I wanted to get one because I think a ring can be a cool symbol, but now I don't know if I'd really like to wear it because the only time I've had a ring (graduation ring) I liked wearing it on the left index finger, when it was supposed to be on the right ring finger XD So I'm not sure if I'd like a ring on my middle finger :/

brightberry

Well, it looks like no one here has a fear of rings eating their fingers.

Yes, I wear one! I switch between a few rings (that I still consider my ace rings, even if they aren't completely black), but I've been wearing one since getting my first last summer. : ) So 7-12 months. And nope, no one has ever seen and made a comment about it...which is fine by me. I prefer to stay under the radar anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

I've always had my black ring.. It has been years.. but only not too long ago did I learn about its Ace meaning. Once I did, I switched fingers and have worn it that way ever since.

The problem I have with ace rings is that... they are dumb. No, I don't mean that rings are a dumb idea, or that people who wear them are dumb. I mean that ace rings themselves aren't smartrings.

Oh, never mind :D. It's just $99, and it's black! Unfortunately, my Pebble can already do all of that stuff, so it's pretty useless to me. I guess I'll just buy a plain old RFID or NFC ring. :(

I wear an Ace ring, but due to a misunderstanding when I first learnt about them, I wear mine on my wedding finger. I just hope that that doesn't have any significance to others. I would buy one for the correct finger, but my natural diffidence means that I cannot bring myself to go to a jeweller ands get my finger sized, when I am not making a purchase because they don't sell Ace rings

Archived