Pressure from friends

thatonederpface

thatonederpface

So... This is sorta awkward. There's this ace girl on my robotics team, and we (the team) had a competition a week ago (we did well, but didn't advance to the next bracket) While we were there, I was talking to her a lot, as usual. At the awards ceremony at the end, I was really stressed, social anxiety and such. So she told me I could lean on her and since I've known her for 3 years in various classes, and I feel safe around her, I did so.

This was brought up a couple times over this last week, by the team. They say she and I give off a "couples vibe," and that they "ship it." They keep telling me to ask her out and such, but she's told me she's not at all interested in a bf/gf type of relationship (or any romantic relationship, for that matter), and I wouldn't particularly mind a romantic relationship, but I don't want one that bad. So of course I won't. But I'm not sure how I'm supposed to properly respond to these other people. It's really wearing on us both. Advice, maybe?

My condolences. It really must be annoying (I know I would be annoyed) to have people bothering you like that.

Simply telling them to mind their own business or that you're both not interested should be enough (key word: should). But if not, I suggest showing your annoyance and telling them "no" (like rolling your eyes and groaning when they tell you such things).

All in all, ignoring them and not taking their words seriously is the least I think you should do to avoid stress from these persistent people. Best of luck and take care.

verily-forsooth-egads

Dismiss them, make it clear that it's none of their business whom you ask out or don't. Don't try to explain yourself; I doubt they'd ever listen. Just say no as many times as you have to, and try not to let it bother you.

Archived