Quicksilver by R.J. Anderson

radishjarrah

radishjarrah

I don't know if anyone has posted about this book before but I'll bring it up again because it is awesome.

So, this book, Quicksilver, is a sequel to another book (Ultraviolet) and features an asexual character as the main protagonist. The whole premise of the books is cool enough to begin with but with an asexual character it just gets better.

Thr story is told from the point of view of Tori Beaugrand and, though she features in the previous book, it is only in this book that we learn she is asexual. [spoilers?] She comes out to her friend Milo who clearly wants more from their relationship, and at the end of the book they embark on a romantic relationship. Let me just say, Milo is pretty awesome about her being asexual. He backs off when she asks, accepts her for who she is, and he likes cake (bonus!).

Tori herself really cool. She's asexual, an alien, she's pretty badass and she's and really good engineer. I think I have a little crush. (Ah, curse you perfect fictional characters for raising my expectations of people.)

"I hate it when people talk like friendship is less than other kinds of -as though it's some sort of runner-up prize for people who can't have sex. I had a boyfriend once, but I never liked being with him the way I like being with you." I held his gaze, refusing to falter or look away." You're one of the best friends I've ever had, Milo. And that is everything to me."

This quote stayed with me long after I finished the book and I will happily show it to everyone I know.

Thank you for reading my rant.

Frigid Pink

Sounds like a great book.

I'll have to check it out sometime.

Dodecahedron314

Sounds right up my alley! I'll have to check it out sometime.

• 3 weeks later...

To be honest I don't have much much experience of reading books with asexual characters in, but I can safely say that I absolutely love Quicksilver. It's one of my favourite books.

Archived