Hi everyone! I'm new

Sara J Echo

Hi there!

I'm new here, but not really new to asexuality. I'm a therapist with a focus on suicide prevention in teens/adolescents. I work directly with the schools. I've struggled with depression for years and I hoped to help kids cope with things no one wanted to talk to me about when I was in high school.

I have had boyfriends in the past, and I was never really a big fan of being touched, especially in the ways they were interested in... I don't mind hugs from close friends, obviously, but I just get uncomfortable with prolonged periods of close contact. For the longest time (at least until I got into psychology and learned asexuality was a thing) I thought there was something was wrong with me. I'm happy to just stay home alone with my dogs and watch Netflix and not go anywhere.

I'm from the middle of nowhere in Kentucky with backward different-phobic beliefs and if you express any kind of preference that is "different" in my town? Everyone in town wants to "fix" you. And if you say you aren't interested in sex or having kids? People around here become offended like you have told them that you hate babies. I love my nieces and nephews, by the way! I have heard the "you'll understand when you have one" speech and all the variations. As well as the "you'll be interested in sex when you meet the right person" and all the variations of that.

I think that is all of my rant for now... I'm sure there is more, but thanks for reading! Hope to make some new friends here!

Welcome to AVEN! :) Enjoy your stay here.

Cheers!

LadyWallflower

Welcome to AVEN! I hope you have a good time here.

Hi and welcome!

The reactions from other people you describe sound way too familiar and I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels that way. Enjoy your stay.

Hello, and welcome to AVEN!! :cake: :cake:

I think it's great that you want to help others struggling with mental issues. I've suffered on and off with depression for a while now, and the world needs more people who are open to discussing these things and willing to help.

Anyway, a lot of people here will be able to relate to your story. So many people here just aren't interested in sex or romance, and have heard all kinds of ridiculous comments because of that. Just stay true to yourself and do what makes you happy, because you know yourself best! :)

Anyway, I hope you find what you're looking for here, and that you enjoy being a member! :D

Hi and welcome to AVEN! There are definitely people here who can relate to some of your feelings. I hope you enjoy being part of this awesome community! :)

YTtPXPG.jpg?1

Hunter James

Welcome to AVEN! I was just having the conversation this morning with my mother about how much society pressures us all to "get out there" and get married and have children, etc. etc. when it's just not what everyone wants. Glad to have you here and hope you find some solace among all the others here (including myself!) who are quite happy home alone with Netflix and pets. =)

Archived