Asexuality and Identity - an 'ethnography' of AVEN.

Acelang

Hi,

I'm Xander.

I'm studying towards my masters degree in the UK. I'm a researcher. I identify with some kind of asexuality, but I'm not really sure how to classify it, grey/demi-sexual seems to have provided a best fit - but I usually define as Queer.

My dissertation/thesis is based upon asexual identities, I'm performing an ethnographic study to gather data here on AVEN (with the kind permission of the Project Team).

What does this mean? Well, really it just means I plan to be around to talk to you all for the next 5/6 months. From time to time I will message some of you to ask for permission to quote you in the write up of my study.

If anyone has any questions relating to my research, please don't hesitate to shout up and ask - I have just as many questions, mainly about cake...

Thanks!

Notte stellata

This study has been approved by the AVEN Project Team.

starrynight
Project Team

Ricecream-man

May I suggest the poll forum as a good place to start?

And as a question, are there particular areas that you're looking at when it comes to your research?

Hey,

Do you mean you'll just browse the forums and talk to us, as opposed to having a set survey?

Just out of curiosity, how big is the MA thesis in the UK? Lengthwise and stuff, I mean.

I seem to recall someone else doing something very similar a while back. I don't know whatever became of their project. In any case, good luck! :cake:

Sounds interesting. If I can be of any assistance let me know; I wish you nothing less than the best of luck.

Welcome to AVEN! :cake: Best wishes with your study! I'm sure you'll find a lot of helpful people and information here. : )

I have just as many questions, mainly about cake...

The answer: :cake:

Hey,

Ricecream-man - thanks for the tip, I'll have a look. My research is looking at language and identity - there'so relatively little academic work that looks at asexual identity specific, and none that look at language and it's role in identity.

Pilvi91 - that's exactly it, hopefully I will be able to better write about asexual identities after spending time on AVEN.

Word-count-wise I am looking at 25K. Time-wise it's an academic year.

Thanks for all the welcomes :)

Ah cool. I was wondering if other countries had different lengths for theses.

I'm writing my MA on language in children's lit. It's an interesting topic, I'm sure yours will be too! It's always nice to see more research on asexuality out there.

brightberry

Have some cake! :cake::cake:

oreo-cake-cookies-and-cream-recipe-bette

ElephantsAlways

I am ready to be a test subject. ;)

*salutes*

In all seriousness, I find these kinds of things fascinating, so I'm interested to hear your results (eventually, of course).

well good luck, hope you find what you are looking for.

Have some cake! :cake::cake:

oreo-cake-cookies-and-cream-recipe-bette

that is the most delectable cake i have ever seen.

Which university? There's an opportunity for you to get a group together to chat to in real life, since the UK has a strong asexual base, especially in London. You could use the meet-up forum to gather a focus group for this very thing.

Which university? There's an opportunity for you to get a group together to chat to in real life, since the UK has a strong asexual base, especially in London. You could use the meet-up forum to gather a focus group for this very thing.

Just be sure to ask the group organizer, since some may not want to be researched.

nerdperson777

I VOLUNTEER MYSELF, FOR SCIENCE!!!!

"Let's put our differences aside, for science, you monster." ^_^

Just be sure to ask the group organizer, since some may not want to be researched.

I'm up North, near Liverpool - this study is just looking at online interaction (although with further study there is potential for more!).

Thanks for all the offers (and :cake: )

I don't know if this is entirely what you're looking for (or if maybe you've already come across it), but this (very very long thread) may have some discussion that you'll find interesting.

http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/104713-defining-asexuality-a-better-definition/page-36?hl=defiition

I signed up today on asexuality.org, and I am READY to help give my input in the ACE community! :cake:

SecretLibrary

Huh, sounds interesting. Good luck with it! :)

I'd be happy to take part :)

lecoeurdelamer

I want in on this too please!

Hello Everyone!

Thanks for the enthusiasm and support, I really appreciate it.

I'll be looking through the forums for interesting quotes and getting in touch with people that I would like to quote.

Other than that, you are already taking part.

Archived