Would you live in a Tiny House?

ClonedRose

My cousin recently told me about this thing where people will buy these tiny houses as the first step toward home ownership. I'd provide examples, but I can't figure out how to upload pictures. But google tiny houses and you'll see plenty.

Anyway, I love the idea. I would totally love to do that someday, and I was just wondering if there was anybody else out there that loves this idea. I personally think it's great. Buy a tiny house, then maybe later on a plot of land, and then maybe gradually build onto it. It seems like a smart process

The tiny houses are usually bought as a lifestyle thing, not just a starter home. It takes a particular kind of person to live in one for long. Ever go for an extended trip in a camper, or even an RV? Its nice for a while, but eventually the cramped space, everything in one room, and the need to pull out a hotplate to do any cooking, even making a cup of tea, gets annoying for most people. And yiu cant ever really have company over. Its deffinately something you'd want to try out before commiting to. The idea of building onto it might be interesting...or just live in it while you build a whole other house and then use it as the guest room.

Sage Raven Domino

I wouldn't mind it that much if I wasn't living in such a cold climate... as is, I could live comfortably in a tiny house only in summer. It costs $15K+, which I can afford, but winter heating would add a lot to the maintenance expenses :(

As with any house, it's all about location, location, location. If it was near a lake or the coast, then yeah I'd do it. I really don't need that much room aside from a comfortable bed, table, bathroom, and kitchen.

Hmm, I don't think I could stand it. Living in CA has gotten me used to big things and wise spaces. If I could live in one instead of an apartment of the same size then I'd be all for it, but not instead of living in a normal house.

Just the size would drive me insane if I lived with anyone but myself, and even then it would irritate me eventually.

Tiny houses are really cool. I don't know if I'd actually be able to live in one as I can be claustrophobic, but I like the idea of only using the amount of space that you need. I never really understood the point of huge houses with tons of wasted space, so even though where ever I end up living might not be classified as a tiny house, it will probably be small.

As with any house, it's all about location, location, location. If it was near a lake or the coast, then yeah I'd do it. I really don't need that much room aside from a comfortable bed, table, bathroom, and kitchen.

Well, I live in Chattanooga TN, which is a beautiful location. And I've heard that they're doing a kickstarter for a tiny house community

A lot of those are more spacious than my current apartment. I'd most certainly love to have one. A five story palace is my dream of course, but I couldn't manage to keep it clean. :P A small cozy place with no neighbors to deal with would be just perfect for me.

I prefer a modest home, but not a tiny house. My minimum/maximum is about 1,800 square feet. Good for elbow room, low cost of maintenance. I know the tiny homes you're speaking of. To borrow a term I only learned the other day, the articles about those homes and the people in them seem to focus on people in a state of "Humblebrag." Like Prius drivers.

Those look amazing. Assuming a climate that would not punish the choice with hypothermia and death, I'd move into one in a heartbeat.

Well, I live in Chattanooga TN, which is a beautiful location. And I've heard that they're doing a kickstarter for a tiny house community

A kickstarter campaign to finance what? To obtain legal counsel and have neighborhood regulations changed, or to have other people buy a home for someone?

As long as I have good wi-fi and I'm preferably close enough to go out and visit people/do things without driving super far I'd be cool with it.

I don't want to actually own a big house at all, so a small one like that would suit me fine. Better yet if I can move it :P And if it is in some remote location somewhere. I mean, how expensive can one of those be? I could have it as a permanent place to keep my books (which is my biggest problem in my current "move around a lot" life style).

I've actually thought about living in one in the distant future.

Doesn't sound bad really, then again I'm not picky about living arrangements.

I've followed this 'movement' for a little while, and it definitely seems like something I'd want to venture out to do in the future! Partly because I don't like having a lot of things or holding on to them for long periods of time. My own room is pretty bare too on purpose because I don't mind the natural look of my surroundings; decorating just seems to ruin it! Also, I have a fantasy of me and whoever I deem to be the 'one' and we build a tiny home by ourselves! It just sounds... romantic to me.

Love my home to be simplistic; Adore my experiences, memories, and thoughts to be complex, rich, and everlasting~

I never want to own a house. I'm a townhouse kind of girl at most. I'd be happy with a small flat. As long as there's no yard or need for a car!

Squirrel Combat

Maybe if I'm living by myself.

I have been working the last couple years to get to the point of building a tiny house and occupying it. In addition to my asexuality, I also possess a very abrasive personality which precludes my making friends, and as someone with intense social anxiety - put them all together and a tiny house is absolutley perfect for me and my lifestyle.

The only thing that really stops me from doing it NOW is that I am trying to buy a plot of land to have my tiny house on so I can have a tiny homestead. It is my intention to eventually live as much of a hermitous lifestyle as possible while still benefitting from a few of the conveniences of modern life...like indoor plumbing, a stable Internet connection, and access to good Scotch.

YES! I want a tiny house. I am seriously looking into buying one. I only need a place to park it.

I think if it were laid out properly I could do it. I currently live in a cramped little basement suite and am constantly getting really frustrated with the lack of space (it's not even that small, just has the dumbest layout I've ever seen). I think I could do it for a few years. Not long term though.

The smallest space I've lived in was 200 square feet, and while that was smaller than my ideal would be, it didn't feel as small as I expected. I'm not sure if tiny houses are the best option for me, but they're definitely one of the options I'm weighing.

WhenSummersGone

No, it'd be too claustrophobic for me.

Same for me. I need lots of space so I feel more free.

I think Ellen Greene's dream of "Somewhere That's Green" is adorable! Her ambitions are so simple. :-)

A kickstarter campaign to finance what? To obtain legal counsel and have neighborhood regulations changed, or to have other people buy a home for someone?

the counsel and regulations thing

I've followed this 'movement' for a little while, and it definitely seems like something I'd want to venture out to do in the future! Partly because I don't like having a lot of things or holding on to them for long periods of time. My own room is pretty bare too on purpose because I don't mind the natural look of my surroundings; decorating just seems to ruin it! Also, I have a fantasy of me and whoever I deem to be the 'one' and we build a tiny home by ourselves! It just sounds... romantic to me.

Love my home to be simplistic; Adore my experiences, memories, and thoughts to be complex, rich, and everlasting~

Oh yeah, that's definately romantic! That's my dream too. I mean, for now I'm having fun renting a house with my roommate, but someday I'd like to own something with someone I love.

By the way, I like your avi. Is that from something, or did you design it?

the counsel and regulations thing

As if half of Tennessee isn't a mobile home park already. ;-)

Archived