What Is Your Ideal Relationship?

exrachnid

I used to think the poem "i carry your heart with me" was my ideal. Now I'm not so sure; the second stanza feels a little overly obsessive and a little suffocating to my middle-aged ears.

Still love the idea of "i carry your heart with me(i carry it in my heart)", though. And I still love the song the late Michael Hedges set it to:

Earth Sprite

Walking & Talking. Walking a Day.

Talking an Hour, during that Day.

Commander Meg

In the most basic sense, basically my ideal relationship is a really cool friendship with lots of kissing and hand holding and cuddling.

Ricecream-man

In the most basic sense, basically my ideal relationship is a really cool friendship with lots of kissing and hand holding and cuddling.

All the cuddles!

But beyond that, it's mostly understanding and caring for one another. Being there when you need someone while still giving them the space to develop as individuals. While you don't have to be best friends a good relationship entail being good friends at the same time.

Purnkin Spurce

Idk, sometimes I think I'm not meant for one because being single is all I've ever known. But My idea of a romantic relationship is one with a best friend. Someone I love to hang out with all the time and we make each other laugh. We cuddle, hug, hold hands and possibly live together. I'm also independent so it'd be like we are comfortable going off and doing our own thing individually.

I guess if I narrowed it down, romantic best friends who know how to hang out and be happy together. lol What I truly want is a deep romantic/spiritual bond with a special girl.

I would love to find an asexual partner in crime. Someone to support and love and care for, and feel those things in return. I'd like to be someone's special person and to have my own special person, meaning when there's a holiday or a special event, it's assumed that we'd be there together because we come as a package deal. Not that we can't do things independently of one another, but we're the person the other one most wants to share those experiences with. There would most definitely be physical affection like hugging, kissing, cuddling, massages, hand holding. There would be other typical relationshipey things like respect, good communication, and trust. We'd probably not live together, but in close enough proximity to see each other regularly. We'd enjoy fun stuff together like going out on dates, as well as mundane stuff like grocery shopping. *Sigh*

For the longest time I wanted just one platonic life partner. Thinking now, I see my ideal relationship is possibly shifting, and now I wouldn't mind being a part of a relationship anarchy :blush:

A romantic relationship - preferably with someone from the LQBTQIA+ community.

I would be open to dating a sexual person again but I think it would cause more problems now that I have realised and am becoming comfortable with asexuality. Problems as in it would be new for me now and I'd have to navigate a lot of possibly tricky conversations.

Other than all that I want a partner. Someone who challenges me but accepts me. Someone who is caring but strong. Someone who can hold my hand through tough times and push me forward when necessary. Someone who I can do all those things for.

Ideally...

I think it would be a poly-fidelity relationship with either three or four people total. I want to be in a relationship with people that I feel like essentially my best friends. I want to be with people that can talk for hours with but whom I can also just sit around with in complete silence. I'd want partners who are intuitive, at least one whom can have all sorts of intellectual conversations with, and a partner that is more spontaneous and fun-loving because I like the balance that brings. While I wouldn't want someone who necessarily wanted sex I'd want partners who were sensual because I can be pretty tactile with people I care about but this way they could get any tactile needs from each other when I'm in my touch-avoidant moods.

I'd want to live together but I would want us all to have our own space (because that's a necessity for me and there are times I don't want to be around people at all even the people I like), and for no one to want kids because then we could just enjoy each other and travel. I'd want us to be similar but not the same; just complementary personality types and outlooks.

ncstewart91

Call me crazy but in life I would love to be a simple housewife. I know we as women can do more these days and we fought so that we can be career driven and all and that is great! We can now choose and I would like to choose to be a housewife. So with that said for me an ideal relationship would be one where I can take care of my signifcant other, I can cook for them, take care of the home for them, and take care of our children (adopted of course). Past the basics I'm not sure how it would work. I've never cuddled, kissed, or really been around anyone long enough to know if I would be ok with that. I know sex would be out of the question. I just don't think I would ever get to that point. But in keeping with my housewife dream here, remember the old 1950s shows where the husbands and wives slept in seperate beds? Well that would be the perfect set up in my mind. I know it'd be a long shot and in all reality I doubt it would ever happen. If it could though it'd be my idea relationship.

Not sure how to answer this one. I've only ever had one serious relationship and that was when I was younger and I had no idea about asexuality, or what I wanted out of life. I haven't been actively looking for a relationship since that time, and after many happy years on my own I've got used to (and enjoy) being single.

After giving it a bit of thought my ideal partner would need to be another asexual, or at least someone not overly interested in sex. Someone who understands and accepts me, someone I can relate to and have fun with, someone to enjoy the good times with and console through the bad times. Someone who shares my views and beliefs, enjoys philosophical and deep conversations and likes being challenged. Someone who makes me a better person.

You know...the usual ;)

Another One

For me an ideal, romantic relationship would be pretty much like a really close friendship, but only with cuddling, hugging and kissing. No sex. Communication would be open to both directions, whether it be negative or positive. Mistakes would be talked through, apologized, forgiven and forgotten. And no digging them up anymore after that. Both would accept the other one like they are, without trying to change them or secretly hoping they'd change.

Personal space would be needed. We'd both live in our own apartments, the closer to each other the better, but still in separate apartments. Could have sleepovers and such and hang out at each others place most of the days, but if the other one wanted to be in peace, that should be allowed. No being glued to each other 24/7 like siamese twins. Each would have their own bank accounts and they'd be free to use their money as they please. Both could invite friends over to their own place without having to ask permission from the other. Etc. generally being able to have their own slice of life despite of being in a relationship.

No kids. I'm not too fond of the idea of marriage either. I'm content with exchanging rings or pendants and perhaps to have small festives because of it etc. but that'd be enough. I don't see a need to prove my love legally to the whole world, but only to this one (or possibly 2-3 at most, if that kind of situation was about to happen) person. I couldn't care less what happens to their belongings or money if they died before me. Themselves is the only thing I'm interested in.

Oh, and a huge plus would be if they liked dogs, since I'm gonna have one or more dogs til I die. :3

It sounds so similar to what I was thinking about... Thanks for putting it into words better than I could! :cake:

I think it would be living with someone I can call my best friend. Maybe build it to, holding hands snuggling maybe a kiss once or twice a week. I don't know.

But just that. Someone you can actually rely on.

I've never met someone like that before so.. seems ideal to me.

Short version: basically a bestest friend you can kiss, raise kids, and grow old with (but have no lust/sex going on)

Long List:

- having a deep friendship - growing up best friends together, so we share so many memories (unfortunately I didn't grow up with any special kindred spirits)

- endless cuddling, and constant affection including kisses but it never turning lustful or sexy

- lots of back-rubs, both for loosening muscles and just the light touch that gives me shivers - giving them as well as getting them

- playing with each-other's hair

- being with a fellow _NFP (myers-briggs personality type), sharing that kindred spirit connection and ease of understanding, sharing that love of ideas, theories, and imagination, sharing that idealistic outlook, sharing the natural empathy for others

- being emotional support for each-other

- understanding each-other so well we don't always have to talk, or can finish each-other's sentences

- lots of deep conversations, especially late at night

- having mostly the same ideals and being able to enjoy sharing in each-other's dreams and pursue them together, always finding ourselves drawn to the same things, having the same tastes where we naturally seem to pick out the same things without even consulting each-other

- a feeling of acceptance no-matter what differences may come up, knowing that being upset will never end in goodbye that we'll always work things out

- sharing clothes, sharing cups, sharing food, sharing baths & showers, sharing toothpaste, sharing pretty much everything (except computers and I do like having my own bed, even if I would enjoy sometimes sleeping snuggled together I also like being alone to sleep especially so I don't have to worry about my restlessness making them not sleep well)

- being inseparable, going everywhere together with some kind of constant contact (linked arms, hands, etc.)

- and yet also being comfortable with giving each-other plenty of alone time

- being able to be comfortable in silence together, being able to be lost in our own thoughts or projects while still feeling 'together' just from being nearby

- getting to be the stay-at-home support for my partner, being a unit not just two people with separate lives side-by-side

- feeling protected and provided for, but not feeling overshadowed or overpowered or useless, being able to also provide a sense of security for them just perhaps in a slightly different way - but no 'keeping accounts' as far as who is giving more, instead both having an attitude of generosity and cherishing the other person just for who they are not dependent on what they do.

- being committed to growing old together and raising kids together

- being accepted as part of each-other's family

- being seen as adorable and 'two-peas-in-a-pod' together, looking more like equals, or sort of twins, looking like best friends more than the typical romantic knight and lady sort of thing... I mean I do like that, ...but more as something you feel at certain moments and maybe sometimes who is who can be switched, rather than being constantly that way even if I prefer to more often be the lady, but... yeah I really like the more... best-buddies camaraderie.

- sharing a single set of friends, rather than separate circles

- mostly just being at home together, not really going out much or doing a lot with other people, just occasionally, but both being more into doing our own stuff at home rather than socializing or busy schedules or very... active activities. having our home feel like a cozy, peaceful sanctuary away from the rest of the world.

- having a similar sense of humor so we can make each-other laugh a lot

- oh and more cuddling and being mushy and adorable together, there can never be enough of that

Archived