Female bodied people who wears men clothes, share your shopping experiences

TardisBlue

Back with some more shoe suggestions: Clarks makes some unstructured brogues that look unisex, as does Josef Seibel. I highly recommend Josef Seibel shoes for comfort, plus they're hand-sewn and will last forever. You can find them more cheaply at the Josef Seibel website than at online stores. Warning for US people-the prices are in Euros, so you'll have to do some mental calculating.

Good idea, it's just that I don't wear leather shoes. I love brogues, but vegan and affordable ones are hard to find ...

I need some "smart shoes" myself, to go with a suit and whatnot... But I'm sick and tired of not finding the proper size. Check those out, from:

England

Italy

Germany

Nice. I'll keep an eye on the sale stuff.

Pockets: Either make them practical or not at all! I mean I own clothes that have pockets SEWN ON but they're sewn SHUT! WHY?!?!?!

I actually spent a whole few days working at a clothing store (I didn't last long, trying to pretend I cared about clothes :P ), and there's actually a reason they do that. They sew the pockets closed so that you don't put your phone in them when trying them on and then forget it. It's surprising how often people do that!! You're supposed to pick the stitches after you buy it so the pocket is open and use-able ;)

ButterfliesOnWatch

I HATE "girl" pockets, but I have problems finding mens/boys jeans that fit me. I haven't found a pair that will fit me in the hips without gaping at the waist. I could try wearing a belt, but I find that there's so much extra fabric around my waist that it gets to uncomfortable. I currently own one pair of jeans that I actually like. I'm pretty sure they're womens, but I don't know what brand. I have found some cargo shorts that fit pretty well (boys 14/16 US size) with an adjustable waist, but no adjustable waist jeans that big. Grr. Anyone have advice?

Dodecahedron314

Pockets: Either make them practical or not at all! I mean I own clothes that have pockets SEWN ON but they're sewn SHUT! WHY?!?!?!

I actually spent a whole few days working at a clothing store (I didn't last long, trying to pretend I cared about clothes :P ), and there's actually a reason they do that. They sew the pockets closed so that you don't put your phone in them when trying them on and then forget it. It's surprising how often people do that!! You're supposed to pick the stitches after you buy it so the pocket is open and use-able ;)

:O Everything is suddenly clearer now...wow, that's the first thing I've heard of in women's clothing that's made sense in a very, very long time. Maybe the whole clothing industry isn't purposely set up to be as confusing and impractical as possible? Hmmm...

...nah.

(Still, though, one would think that would be more common knowledge. As strange as this sentence is, maybe what some manufacturers need to start making is instructions for pants.)

I see a lot of you have 'crotch' problem. Speaking from experince, that happens when the trousers you're wearing are actually too big for you. I get that most of you specifically want loose clothes but that just won't work with trousers, just buy the smallest size you can fit into, and the crotch is not uncomfortable at all! Trust me, when it comes to bottoms, loose is not equal to comfortable. Also, go for khakis/chinos instead of jeans because they have softer fabrics, jeans are too heavy/thick so their crotch are generally uncomfortable.

For petite people, have you checked asos? They even have xxxs.

:o Everything is suddenly clearer now...wow, that's the first thing I've heard of in women's clothing that's made sense in a very, very long time. Maybe the whole clothing industry isn't purposely set up to be as confusing and impractical as possible? Hmmm...

...nah.

(Still, though, one would think that would be more common knowledge. As strange as this sentence is, maybe what some manufacturers need to start making is instructions for pants.)

They need instructions for all clothing. Like, seriously, I take one look at some of those dresses and I can't help but think to myself "How in the heck am I supposed to get that over my body?!?". So confusing.

scarletlatitude

Females who dress masculine, have a look at this

http://www.jcpenney.com/stylus-long-sleeve-knit-blazer/prod.jump?ppId=pp5004910981&searchTerm=stylus&catId=SearchResults&_dyncharset=UTF-8&colorizedImg=DP1202201412550115M.tif

I just bought one of those. It's super comfy. It looks masculine but it fits my awkwardly obvious female body. I wore it all day on Thursday just because I loved it so much.

Gap, Jack Jones and Superdry are quite good when it comes to stocking men's clothes in small sizes.

I've got two items from Gap in size XS, a jumper and a shirt. The shirt is a bit wide in the shoulders, but it's not too bad.

So far, nobody's given me evil looks at those shops.

I see a lot of you have 'crotch' problem. Speaking from experince, that happens when the trousers you're wearing are actually too big for you. I get that most of you specifically want loose clothes but that just won't work with trousers, just buy the smallest size you can fit into, and the crotch is not uncomfortable at all! Trust me, when it comes to bottoms, loose is not equal to comfortable. Also, go for khakis/chinos instead of jeans because they have softer fabrics, jeans are too heavy/thick so their crotch are generally uncomfortable.

For petite people, have you checked asos? They even have xxxs.

I actually like it when trousers are baggy around the crotch. I hate tight trousers because they chafe. Also, my thighs are fatter than I'd like them to be and I hate the feeling of wearing trousers that squeeze my thighs. That's part of the reason I prefer men's trousers.

• 2 weeks later...
Another One

Now I buy most of my clothes online, but footwear is a different matter. My feet are a bit too long and narrow and I have to try lots of shoes/boots pairs on before I find a suitable one, so online shopping won't work and I shop the most androgynous-looking stuff in women's section. That's why I have three pairs - sport shoes, hiking boots and Keen sandals (let's say military boots don't count). Hope I never need to wear more official clothes...

I haven't done a lot of shopping in men's sections for clothes in a while but I didn't have too many problems. I would occasionally get a look or double-take from people in the area or possibly confuse the check-out cashier but I think most of them probably rationalized it away and figured I was shopping for a brother/husband etc.

It's probably a good thing no one ever tried to make a deal out of it since I have no problem telling strangers off if they decide to bother me or get in my face. :ph34r:

DigitalBookDust

I just had to return a pair of wicked Joseph Seibel brogues b/c they were too large. I'm ordering a different pair, equally awesome, that should fit. His shoes look androgynous and very comfortable and wellmade. I'm looking forward to my new pair.

LenaLuthor

This is one thing that really pisses me off is the idea of gendered clothing. All though, I am the opposite of some people who post in this thread. I am a "male" bodied person who prefers wearing "womens" clothing. If my posting this here is somehow problematic, sorry.

Another One

This is one thing that really pisses me off is the idea of gendered clothing. All though, I am the opposite of some people who post in this thread. I am a "male" bodied person who prefers wearing "womens" clothing. If my posting this here is somehow problematic, sorry.

I can imagine most things we're complaining about are much worse for you. After all a bio-female with male clothes receives less strange looks (or worse) than in the opposite case... :cake: and good luck!

LenaLuthor

I wouldn't say it's harder. Anyhow, I do love wearing skirts, dresses and "womens" pants.

Skirts and dresses can be very freeing. I like to say that dresses are "cheating" since you only have to choose one clothing item instead of two and you never have to make sure your top matches the bottom ;)

RoseGoesToYale

I've always wanted to shop for shirts in the mens sections. I think guys t-shirts are super cool. Plus, I'm 5'3" with not many curves to speak of, so trying to find shirts in womens that I like that don't go down to my thighs is ridiculous. I'm trying to work up the courage, but one of these days I'm gonna just do it. I know my mom would probably not like the idea of me shopping in the mens section, so I'd have to go by myself or find a friend that'd be cool with it.

I wonder how the shopping experience would change if we took all styles of clothing, dispersed all of it anywhere throughout the store, and made one huge department called the "Humans Department". We need a store like this!

Shai Angel

When I go shopping for women's clothing I always get these weird looks, unless it is jewelry then they just think I am getting it for my mom or my girlfriend (which I don't have). I find it actually funny, and I don't really care what people say or how they look at me. Its my damn body, and if I want to dress like a girl then so be it! But seriously, people need to mind their own business.

I wonder how the shopping experience would change if we took all styles of clothing, dispersed all of it anywhere throughout the store, and made one huge department called the "Humans Department". We need a store like this!

If I ever open up a department store, that's exactly what I'll do! :D

(I am DMAB) I dressed up en femme today and went out shopping in various stores. No problems. Salespeople were fine. Other shoppers either gave me a pleasant smile or showed no reaction. I hope that gives some of you encouragement to shop where you want.

LenaLuthor

I desperately hope we will get to a point where people can wear what they want without ridicule or worse.

DigitalBookDust

I just finished doing my shopping for the summer. As usual, I bought from both women's and men's depts: shirts from the men's, pants from the women's. I HATE deciding what to wear to work so ordered 7 olive green t-shirts and got 2 more pair of green pants, I also ordered a different pair of Josef Seibel brogues, this time in a size 2.5. I dress for both comfort and style. I like to look edgy but refuse to wear something just for looks.

gayasanaro

"But that's the boys' section!"

Yeah and I'm part boy, what's your point exactly...?

I've been having a hard time finding affordable cargo pants for women. Would love to wear men's, but the crotch area's too loose. They make capris cargo pants for women, but I find capris to be just plain silly. I'd rather either wear shorts (plaid from the male section) or pants (jeans or cargo pants). That's my current mission.

Shoes, I like VANS and the converse knockoffs. Oddly enough, I don't like the look of real converse. Recently, I've gotten more looks from the males when shopping in that section. It's amusing, actually. I can tell that they have no idea what I am, since I look neither male nor female enough.

You post makes me laugh. I wear about the same sizes you do, a little bigger. I like mine to fit looser. I"d be curious to know where you live? I live in Virginia and all I get in the store are double takes.

Another One

But what if I don't identify as human?! :blush: ;)

Archived