Cuddling with Stuffed Animals is Equally Satisfying as Cuddling with People

Georgetown

I'll admit that I have not cuddled with many people in my life, but I find that the appeal of cuddling with people is often psychological, not physical. It's the emotional warmth and such that really matters.

From an ergonomic point of view, the physical act of cuddling has many flaws. In almost all of the cuddle positions I've been in in with a person, my muscles became strained, and I could not sustain the position for more than a minute or two. The lack of mobility when cuddling someone was also an issue. Even when none of my muscles were being strained, at some point, I usually justifiably felt the need to get up or squirm in such a way that disrupted the cuddling. Being held in an embrace can yield an awesome feeling of being protected, but it can just as much yield an annoying feeling of physical strain and impractical movement.

I find that cuddling with a soft, boneless, adorable stuffed animal can be just as satisfying as cuddling with a person, particularly when the cuddling is associated with some awesome fantasy of emotional warmth. What stuffed animals lack in terms of having a soul that you can feel close to, they make up for in terms of ergonomic benefits and constant availability (consent always equals "yes").

Cuddling with people is still awesome, but I think it's important to recognize that we can get many of the same benefits cheaper and easier by cuddling with stuffed animals. Of course, the ideal situation is to combine the two. What sounds really awesome actually would be lying next to another asexual with shoulders touching while we both cradle stuffed animals.

Anyone share this opinion?

Also, below are two of my premiere stuffed animals. The little dog has been with me literally my entire life, since I was born all the way into my 20s. I actually want to keep him until death, and I think it could happen.

10733884_10152487343693510_8879394377115

Sage Raven Domino

I take your word for it :) It depends on the material with which they're stuffed, though; apart from allergies, it may be just unpleasant sensually, e.g. I had a moose stuffed by lame small plastic balls, ugh. I eventually wore out a small hole in it and chewed them a bit :P

And yes, even some people are more expensive (indirectly, incl. 'emotional investment') to cuddle with than stuffed animals :rolleyes:

I love large things to cuddle with. It'd be nice, but so expensive. >.<

I like cuddling with blankets and pillows since I don't have any stuffed animals big enough anymore to satisfy me, but I want ones eventually. I'm pretty addicted to pillows though, and really want a body pillow. Combining that with my love for anime and it should be easy to get a really cool one!

But cuddling with my bf is cool too. Hotter (temp-wise) and less comfortable but it has different benefits. He likes it and I like to be close to him so it's worth it.

So I'd say they're just different, rather than one is better than the other.

What a beautiful dog, Captain.

One good thing about stuffed and live animals: they don't talk.

I share your opinion zero percent. ^_^

The thing most important is the proximity to the person of interests. Cuddling has no point if you're not with them. To me, what you're doing is more of just comfy-ing. Just making yourself warm and positioned well.

Bears could never ever replace cuddling.

Mycroft is Yourcroft

Captain Pugwash, your username and hound are both perfect >.<

I like cuddling with my cat, but for me, nothing compares to cuddling another person. That I'm romantically attracted to. In my case, cake. Only cake. Nothing else :ph34r:

I need cuddling with a living being, human or animal. And not any. Because if there's no love behind, what's the point ? I like stuffed animals, but they don't love me and they don't cuddle me back.

I like cuddling my blanket, but another person is much more comforting. Something to do with oxytocin, I guess?

Two words: HUGGING PILLOWS!

Heavenly... *sighs*

I do own a pillow just for cuddling, but I worry the blanket would be jealous of the pillow, so....
butterflydreams

Heavenly... *sighs*

Oh yes, I love pillows! I'm very particular about them, and no one ever understands why. I also have a big stuffed Homer Simpson that I like to curl up with ^_^

I need cuddling with a living being, human or animal. And not any. Because if there's no love behind, what's the point ? I like stuffed animals, but they don't love me and they don't cuddle me back.

Big ones can cuddle you back sort of. We need an invention of a big stuffed animal that definitely cuddles you back, maybe robotically.

Interesting topic! For me stuffed animals or small animals like cats are actually way better than a person when I just feel like holding something. :D ...excatly because they don't hug you back. (Well, cats sometimes look for a best position but mostly they don't move much.) This is strictly for physical reasons, I'm just very uncomfortable with too light or too hard pressure. (If you know what HSP is, I'm basically that.) ^^' And when it's another person touching you they just can't have a very good idea what that is. (Most things others find enjoyable are really uncomfortable for me, such as a massage, or a hairdresser washing your hair etc.).

Of course, people beat stuffed animals or pets on the emotional aspect but for me the emotional aspect is actually not the act of cuddling or hugging but the fact that someone wants to show their affection. <: D Sooo... If someone just said "I want to hug you" I would get just as much emotional comfort whether they did it or not. ^^'

Also, if I want to express my feelings, just saying I want to hug someone or actually hugging them would make pretty much no difference.

Does anyone else feel like this?

Heavenly... *sighs*

Oh yeah, I do this !

I'm a cuddly toy hoarder, I have many from my youth that rapidly built into a massive collection and I love all of them individually so God forbid anyone who tried to throw them out :o Since there are some I've had since I was a baby, and when I was little I gave them all distinct voices and distinct personalities to me they are almost practically living. They all have individual identities. Which sounds insane but it is true, I made stories for them to act out and everything, I've always had a very vivid imagination. When we went on holiday I was obsessed with making sure they were all safe and comfortable before I left and though I don't do that anymore the feeling is still with me. Even now at 22 I can feel a little guilty if I haven't registered their presence for a while, before abruptly realising that that's mental, lol!

So my emotional attachment to my cuddly toys is very real and although I know they're not exactly living and have no emotional response to me it can feel like they do because of my imagination, and the personalities and backstories I gave them, and some of the backstories were very complex and emotionally mature. Cuddling them is just as satisfying to me as cuddling a real person.

I agree I love hugs from family and friends I have a really strong bond with but I also love hugging my cat or my stuffed animals. One I particularly love to hug is a large stuffed wolf whom I've named Sebastian I swear I've hugged him so much his fur is really messy but I love him none the less

I've never cuddled up to anyone besides my parents, so I don't have experience of that view. But I can say cuddling up to my plushies is very satisfying. I have one large bear (not as large as the OP's) that a friend got me one Christmas who has become my favourite cuddle-buddy. He is just the right size that I can snuggle up to him. The only thing it lacks is that his arms aren't quite long enough to go around me, which I know psychologically would make the experience complete.

I don't know if I could handle a larger bear, though. This bear often lets a draft in under the duvet.

I also find cuddling up to animals quite satisfying. I've never had a dog cuddle up to me, but I've had cats on my lap, chest, back, head and draped across my neck. Aside from the meows of complaint because of your need to breathe (how selfish are we, needing air?) it is very nice. ...Except when the cat's been sat there for hours and when you finally get up you collapse from the lack of blood in your limbs. @_@

I've never cuddled up to anyone besides my parents, so I don't have experience of that view. But I can say cuddling up to my plushies is very satisfying. I have one large bear (not as large as the OP's) that a friend got me one Christmas who has become my favourite cuddle-buddy. He is just the right size that I can snuggle up to him. The only thing it lacks is that his arms aren't quite long enough to go around me, which I know psychologically would make the experience complete.

I don't know if I could handle a larger bear, though. This bear often lets a draft in under the duvet.

I also find cuddling up to animals quite satisfying. I've never had a dog cuddle up to me, but I've had cats on my lap, chest, back, head and draped across my neck. Aside from the meows of complaint because of your need to breathe (how selfish are we, needing air?) it is very nice. ...Except when the cat's been sat there for hours and when you finally get up you collapse from the lack of blood in your limbs. @_@

My cat used to always lie on my face. It was lovely but yes, that darn need to breathe! :o

I need another person.. The Demi-romantic in me needs that mutual emotional connection to enjoy physical contact and make it have any meaningful feeling. I can use my blankets or snuggle my dog, but it's like sticking a band aid on the situation instead of fulfilling my needs.

WhenSummersGone

I feel I need another person that I care about romantically. If I feel a strong romantic connection right away I may cuddle with them, but that's rare. I have a big sheep on my bed but it doesn't work as well. Family and friends also don't work.

LindseyKate04

OP, I have a stuffed dog a lot like yours that I've also had my whole life. Small world.

I also have a dolphin pillow pet and a decently sized stuffed Totoro, and I would definitely pick cuddling with those over most people.

Kitty Spoon Train

Nah, cuddling inanimate things doesn't really do anything for me at all....

On the other hand, I'm a total cuddle slut when it comes to people. There are certain things that can make it awkward of course, but barring those, I could cuddle with pretty much anyone who is sane, doesn't smell bad, and is on the same wavelength regarding the expectations around the relationship.

ie Platonic vs romantic is completely irrelevant - as long as the other person understands my boundaries, and I can feel confident that they do.

I kind of maybe have an actual cat for this reason. She is nearly the only time I am not stressed out. Although, she does bite.

I cuddle my stuffed animals every night but I prefer Bunny Snuggles from my two bunnies. It's just more satisfying... And I've never snuggled a real person

I used to find cuddling with stuffed animals very satisfying. But then I got cats :D

I have a stuffed panda that I sleep with every night and I do enjoy that feeling of having something to snuggle up to. But on nights that my boys (read: my two cats) are allowed in bed with me that stuffed panda gets thrown to the side. My cats always curl up in the area that I usually clutch my panda at anyway.

I live alone but my cats are very easy to pick up and cuddle with. When I'm sitting on the couch at night they always cuddle up to me. They don't like to be on my lap, but they always touch my body with their little ones and I find that very satisfying :o)

I Shot the Serif

Pillows and stuffed animals are fine, but nothing to dream about.
There is a person who I really want to snuggle, and nothing else could ever be a substitute for that. Talk about your warmth, attraction, peace and joy.

Archived