Benefits of living with eachother as opposed to living close?

Tarfeather

First obvious answer: It's cheaper.

But I'm curious about the more relationship-related things here, like time spent together and all that. My girlfriend and I were planning to move in together, but with recent events she realized that having her own space is really important to her, so we agreed that instead we'll just try to move close to each other(possibly same apartment block) so that visiting would be no effort. And I just can't think of any disadvantages.

Cooking and eating together? Can absolutely do that. Talking, cuddling, watching movies together, studying together? Just drop by. Sleeping together? Well, sex isn't an issue, and I don't want to share bedrooms anyway. I don't want to turn the experience of sleeping in the same bed into something dull. That said, having a large enough bed available would be nice.. but that same problem would apply when you live together and have separate bedrooms. And then there's all the benefits, like if either of us needs some "me time", no problem.

Can't think of anything else. The financial considerations are a given, and it's a bit annoying that for two apartments you have to pay 150%-200% than for one large apartment. But other than that, I pretty much prefer living close in every aspect.

I, personally, would want to eventually "live together" with my romantic partner, however, I can see the "live close" advantages in the short-term, especially if the relationship was long distance at the start. By the way, I think it's possible to have one's own space in a "live together" situation and would want my "own space" if I lived with my romantic partner (I plan to have a work shed for creative projects).

Splitting the house work and chores in general is an advantage. Having someone around that may be able to help you in disastrous situations (slip and fall and break a leg or something like that). A partner for couch co-op video games.

The Great WTF

I go in and out on this one. I love living with my partner, especially having someone to help with chores and bills, but at the same time he's such a damn extrovert and socialite and we live in such a small apartment that I never seem to get any time to myself. I've had to all but ban his friends from the house because he'd have them over 24/7 if given the opportunity, which doesn't work in a one bedroom. <.< He's also a bed hog and I doubt I'll ever fully adjust to sharing my sleeping space. I swear we need a king size bed and custom extra large bedding just to have room for him to splay out and cocoon himself in the sheets.

I'd be perfectly fine living apart and, once we have a bigger place, I think I'd be perfectly fine sharing a space. Making him and extroverted need for constant human presence understand without hurting his feelings on the other hand...

• 2 weeks later...
ozzythefabulous

I'd personally rather live with my partner however I can see the advantages of just living close especially with having your own space

Pros:

Cheaper (by a lot)

Easier to be alone together, as you're in your own space and doing stuff "together" even if busy

Easier to share things like pets/kids

Easier to share small affectionate things - a kiss before bed, a brush of the arm when you pass by, that sort of thing

Cons:

Easier to become annoyed by little habits - music too loud, messy, etc

Can cause more arguments

Privacy is harder to come by

You both have to agree on changes to the house, furniture, etc etc

Archived