"Corrective" behaviors?

animanova

What are some corrective behaviors you've heard of and or experienced? I know it's frustrating when dealing with people who tend to not understand or underestimate asexuality, but have you known of something that went beyond the point of not okay?

For example, I've had several "followers". Just guys that would help me with things, etc. Always asking me to hang out with them, for hugs, everything. One of my most recent ones was one that ah...didn't take my asexuality very well. Eventually it escalated to hurtful corrective thoughts, not understanding asexuality at all and some common insults like "broken" or "in denial". Before I finally got rid of him and away, he had tried to coerce me into sex to "fix" my asexuality.

Other behaviors I have experienced would be from my own parents, with extremely religious backgrounds. My mum, a previous Catholic, still calls me a plant and denies that asexuality or homosexuality could possibly exist, despite her own lack of religion now. As for my father, he has tried corrective "therapy" with me unaware until I was in a room with a therapist holding a Bible. Needless to say, the few experiences of people attempting to "fix" me have been discouraging.

So, maybe not all corrective behaviors are as extreme. Feel free to share what you think about these behaviors or anything you know.

A friend asked me once if I talk about it with my psychologist, and if I asked if there's medication against it.

Also (TW): I suspect my rape was a "corrective rape". The guy didn't believe I'm asexual, and more specifically, that I'm not attracted to him.

I'm guessing that parents trying to get you to go to a doctor to get fixed counts?

An ex of mine, when I came out to him just said: "Well, if we've fucked this many times I guess you'd know by now."

I half-laughed/half-gasped, since I thought he was going to end that sentence with some sort of pro-correction statement. That's the closest I've come.

I've encountered a few situations myself. Really unfortunate things, the 'well intended' cruelty of others.

I had a friend I thought was accepting of me so I felt safe but then we were in the same place one night and in the middle of the night he crawled on top of me and pinned me down and started touhing me when I screamed and his cousin pulled him off he said it was because he always wanted that with us and that if I let him I would like it... that it would fix me.

The Void Walker

I've had people suggest that I buy a prostitute, and even had one guy "jokingly" suggest locking me in a room with a prostitute and not letting me out until I'd had sex with her.

I had a friend I thought was accepting of me so I felt safe but then we were in the same place one night and in the middle of the night he crawled on top of me and pinned me down and started touhing me when I screamed and his cousin pulled him off he said it was because he always wanted that with us and that if I let him I would like it... that it would fix me.

So, you experienced a sexual assault, and you have a witness.

Do the world a favor and go to the police- since there's a witness he won't get away with it so easily.

I've had people suggest that I buy a prostitute, and even had one guy "jokingly" suggest locking me in a room with a prostitute and not letting me out until I'd had sex with her.

So even the prostitute's opinion wouldn't have counted? That's probably about as wrong on multiple levels as you could get in a scenario like that

I had this suggested too. I then outlined my plan to escape which involved using the materials in the room to construct a crude battering ram.

Trigger warning!

I was sexually assaulted because the guy didn't believe I didn't want sex or that I was a virgin.

Archived