Songs you didn't realize were about sex?

Lizzytreble13

1 minute ago, Just like Jughead said:

Isn’t pretty much every song about sex?

There are a few that are not;  Ace of Spades isn't, I don't think. Nor is House of the Rising Sun. I am pretty sure most Radiohead songs are not about sex, Space Oddity is not sexual. Nor is Starman, Ziggy Stardust. So there are a few of them (unless people tell me suddenly that those are all sexual and my entire life have been a lie)  

1 minute ago, Welsh Ace said:

There are a few that are not;  Ace of Spades isn't, I don't think. Nor is House of the Rising Sun. I am pretty sure most Radiohead songs are not about sex, Space Oddity is not sexual. Nor is Starman, Ziggy Stardust. So there are a few of them (unless people tell me suddenly that those are all sexual and my entire life have been a lie)  

I’ll keep quiet because I don’t want to ruin your life. 

6 minutes ago, Just like Jughead said:

I’ll keep quiet because I don’t want to ruin your life. 

Sounds like you know something :o 

I still remember loving the song "December '63 (Oh What a Night)" by Frankie Valli and the 4 Seasons when I was a kid. Every time it came on the radio I'd crank up the volume, until one day my mom turned it off with a snippish, "That's inappropriate."  I was COMPLETELY bewildered until she explained it was about a hookup. I'd just thought it was about two people dancing. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/21/2017 at 2:10 PM, Welsh Ace said:

Space Oddity is not sexual. Nor is Starman, Ziggy Stardust.

Bowie fan, huh?

Too obvious for non-Ace but

'Lay Lady Lay' Bob Dylan 

When I was a kid I thought this song somewhat funny, like 'Le, le, le,le, le...'

'The think of England' Bear's Den

Liked the melody so was shocked to know the meaning later. It's nothing to do with a history of England (I thought so, at first)

Sooo, when I was in kindergarden, like the last few months of it before starting school, there was a new song called "Boom, boom, boom, boom!" with that very catchy rhythm. As someone from Germany, I was not learning English language until second grade in school, so my best kindergarten friend and I would always sing that 'boom, boom, boom, boom' line and the wrong text we understood for the rest of it. She was introduced to the song by her older siblings originally and showed it to me then.

In 2017, 18 years later, I stumbled across the song again on YouTube and hell, I was surprised that it was a super sexual song actually. What a good thing we didn't understand English back then, phew. :D I kinda like it though, memories. 

https://www.youtube.com/embed/xMP-JqFQ_l4

4 hours ago, rhwrd said:

Sooo, when I was in kindergarden, like the last few months of it before starting school, there was a new song called "Boom, boom, boom, boom!" with that very catchy rhythm. As someone from Germany, I was not learning English language until second grade in school, so my best kindergarten friend and I would always sing that 'boom, boom, boom, boom' line and the wrong text we understood for the rest of it. She was introduced to the song by her older siblings originally and showed it to me then.

In 2017, 18 years later, I stumbled across the song again on YouTube and hell, I was surprised that it was a super sexual song actually. What a good thing we didn't understand English back then, phew. :D I kinda like it though, memories. 

https://www.youtube.com/embed/xMP-JqFQ_l4

Thought would were posting about this song:

P.S.: Nice late 60s El Camino in the first video. :)

Oh, haha, no but Vengaboys clearly ripped off the lyric line or (un)intentionally referred to this song, it seems. :D

It reminds me of Modern Talking though, if anyone knows them. xD

23 minutes ago, Telecaster68 said:

... is a brothel. 

WHAT!? I thought it was a haunted house! 

On 8/16/2015 at 3:11 AM, Rainbow~Sprinkles said:

Omg I can so relate to this!

"Edge of Glory" by Lady Gaga

"Pokeface" by Lady Gaga was my absolute jam until my friend told me what it was about - I thought it was about protecting who you are from people and proving them wrong about you or something empowering like that. :redface:

"The Sweet Escape" by Gwen Stefani - my favourite song because I thought it was about forgiveness - which it was but not in the way I thought :redface:

"chandelier" by Sia - thought this was empowering too, I was so wrong!

"only when I sleep" by the Corrs - grew up listening to this song and it was only recently I realised what it was about all this time :redface:

Chandelier?? Nooooooo I don't want to believe it

There is only one song in the entire universe that I know of which is about sex:

If there are any other songs which are about sex, then I didn't know that they were about sex!

Pillow Talk that is until I saw the music video and even after that I was still a little unsure. It was so artsy...:cake::redface::cake: 

Oh and about a quarter of the Christmas songs.

• 4 months later...

This took seeing the video on TV tonight to make me remember an incredibly ace moment on my part. When the song came out in the 80s, I had no idea it was about sex, Relax by Frankie Goes To Hollywood. 

WobblyWallaby

I recently realized that Cyndi Lauper's She-bop is about masturbation...of course once I realized it I felt like a complete fool because the lyrics make it obvious

Claire1983
3 hours ago, will123 said:

This took seeing the video on TV tonight to make me remember an incredibly ace moment on my part. When the song came out in the 80s, I had no idea it was about sex, Relax by Frankie Goes To Hollywood. 

Wait, what?  Totally missed that one.  

3 hours ago, Telecaster68 said:

How on earth? The lyrics include 'relax, don't do it, when you wanna cum'. And the BBC banned it for obscenity. 

I was thinking it was come. :redface:

9 hours ago, WobblyWallaby said:

I recently realized that Cyndi Lauper's She-bop is about masturbation...of course once I realized it I felt like a complete fool because the lyrics make it obvious

I had heard that several years after its release. I've never paid much attention to the lyrics but I dont mind the song. I'll have to Google it.

My number one goal as a tween/teen was rebelling against the goody-two-shoes false impression my mother had of me so I was always super-pleased to realize songs were about sex and drugs.  I rarely miss a double-entendre or innuendo, but I’ve always seen that as a combination of facility with words and (lack of) naiveté rather than something related to my sexuality or gender.

Of course, when I was a tween/teen I still thought I was going to be super into sex (hey, it was the ultimate thing I wasn’t supposed to do).  It wasn’t until I started actually trying it that... yeah.  So didn’t measure up.

So, no songs to add I guess.  I just assume they are about sex.

Kitteη χ

I listen almost exclusively to metal and prog, which don't have as many sexual references as some other genres. Or maybe I'm just REALLY oblivious. The only song I can think of that would really fit this topic would be Bounce by System of a Down, which apparently describes an orgy. And here I thought it was actually about bouncing on a pogo stick.

Claire1983
12 hours ago, will123 said:

I was thinking it was come. :redface:

SAME!  I realize that doesn't make a lot of sense but songs don't always make sense!

16 hours ago, Telecaster68 said:

How on earth? The lyrics include 'relax, don't do it, when you wanna cum'. And the BBC banned it for obscenity. 

To be fair I don't really follow music and I never cared enough to look up the lyrics.  Also it came out the year I was born so by the time I heard it, the controversy had died down.

22 hours ago, WobblyWallaby said:

OK, looking at the lyrics, I was out of it I guess. Anyways a lot of times I may enjoy a song for the music and be comepletely oblivious to the lyrics.

8 minutes ago, davprec said:

I always thought Dolly Parton's song "here you come again" was about multiple orgasms.

That's an image I don't really want to think about, especially since I was exposed to country and western music from an early age.

10 hours ago, will123 said:

That's an image I don't really want to think about, especially since I was exposed to country and western music from an early age.

Addendum: And no I never found her overly large breasts attractive even to my young eyes.

Strega_Asessuale

Oh man, for the longest time I could not identify a song about sex unless it was really explicit. One notable example was "Addicted" by Kelly Clarkson. I thought the line "it's like I can't breathe without you inside of me" was about...um...in retrospect, I don't know what I thought it was about.

Strega_Asessuale
18 hours ago, Kraken X said:

I listen almost exclusively to metal and prog, which don't have as many sexual references as some other genres. Or maybe I'm just REALLY oblivious. The only song I can think of that would really fit this topic would be Bounce by System of a Down, which apparently describes an orgy. And here I thought it was actually about bouncing on a pogo stick.

Honestly, who knows with System. Sometimes their lyrics are extended metaphors, and sometimes they have lyrics about "wooden farts" or being "the meat in the pie".

18 hours ago, Kraken X said:

I would've said the same about prog too until I saw the Genesis tribute band The Musical Box live. The lyrics and accompanying 'act' to the song The Musical Box is a bit pervy.

Archived