Songs you didn't realize were about sex?

Lizzytreble13

The Terrible Travis

My little brother has this frog toy where you press a button on it and it starts start dancing while playing "Shake It" by Metro Station. Because of that, I always thought it was just some cool dancing song. Earlier last year I looked it up on YouTube though and when I started to listen to the lyrics closer, I began to realize that this was not a dancing song...

I also didn't know that U+Ur Hand by Pink was about masturbation. English isn't my first language, so I didn't even understand that it meant You + Your Hand

1 minute ago, Telecaster68 said:

To be fair 'u + ur' is barely English...

That's true, but it still cunfused me until a few years ago. I figured when she sang 'just you and your hand tonight', she meant making a puppet out of your hand or something

18 hours ago, Rhyme said:
18 hours ago, Telecaster68 said:

To be fair 'u + ur' is barely English...

That's true, but it still cunfused me until a few years ago. I figured when she sang 'just you and your hand tonight', she meant making a puppet out of your hand or something

Texting laziness.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/10/2017 at 10:49 PM, Azrael said:

Noooooooo. It was aBout the year. 69 isn't sex 

As much as I'd like to agree with you " When Adams appeared on The Early Show in 2008, he was asked about "Summer of '69" and its lyrical meaning. Adams said the song was about sex and making love in the summertime. "69" is a reference to the sexual position, 69." source

WobblyWallaby
On 1/24/2017 at 4:56 PM, Waist of Thyme said:

That Counting Crows song about putting up a parking lot in paradise. "Don't care about spots on my eyeballs, leave me the birds and the bees." I didn't know what "the birds and the bees" meant until years after I heard that song. Now that I think about it, spots on eyeballs probably refers to STDs.

That counting Crows song is a cover of a Joni Mitchell song...the original line is: Hey farmer farmer put away that D.D.T. now. Give me spots on my apples but leave me the birds and the bees, Please... I don't know why counting crows changed it but not sexual. At least I don't think Joni didn't meant it that way.

Afternoon delight and Crimson and Clover are on a list of many.

1 hour ago, WobblyWallaby said:

That counting Crows song is a cover of a Joni Mitchell song...the original line is: Hey farmer farmer put away that D.D.T. now. Give me spots on my apples but leave me the birds and the bees, Please... I don't know why counting crows changed it but not sexual. At least I don't think Joni didn't meant it that way.

Bullshit! Crimson and Clover refer to Eulogy Jones' two slaves in Fallout3 *LOL*

why is everyone ruining my songs

9 hours ago, WobblyWallaby said:

No Counting Crows did not change the lyrics. They https://www.google.com/search?q=counting+crows+big+yellow+taxi+lyrics&oq=counting+crows+bi&aqs=chrome.2.0j69i57j0l14.12803j0j4&sourceid=silk&ie=UTF-8

WobblyWallaby
2 hours ago, fuzzipueo said:

Well thank god...I had lost all respect for them.

My baby does the Hanky Panky went from cute to disturbing for me fairly recently.

I am dying inside reading just the first page of this thread. I used to run a dance club for kids- I always tried so hard to choose popular yet appropriate songs, but oh geez so many of my choices are here. Edge of Glory and Like a Prayer being two of them. Just re-listened to them now- WHAT must the parents have thought *facepalm*

On 2/26/2017 at 0:29 PM, tiggywinkle said:

I am dying inside reading just the first page of this thread. I used to run a dance club for kids- I always tried so hard to choose popular yet appropriate songs, but oh geez so many of my choices are here. Edge of Glory and Like a Prayer being two of them. Just re-listened to them now- WHAT must the parents have thought *facepalm*

I have the same problem (though not with a bunch of kids). Relistening to a lot of these songs, esp. the two you mention make the tips of my ears turn red in embarrassment ... LOL

Ha! Basically every song about sex ever. I am super clueless about songs. I was in my late twenties before I understood what 'I touch myself' was about. It's sad, really.

RoseGoesToYale

I've been kind of wondering... does anyone try to reinterpret any songs? I know some of them are explicitly about sex, so it doesn't really work, but others you can maybe stretch the meanings a bit.

2 hours ago, RoseGoesToYale said:

I've been kind of wondering... does anyone try to reinterpret any songs? I know some of them are explicitly about sex, so it doesn't really work, but others you can maybe stretch the meanings a bit.

Well, for the longest time I thought Edge of Glory would have made a better theme song for the US Olympics Gymnastic team several years ago than that Phillip Phillips song they were using at the time ... :redface:

• 4 weeks later...

Disobey, by Kate Havnevik. I was sure it was about doing what you want with your life and not giving in to what society is expecting from you, and not about committing adultery. :(

I'm reading some of this thread and I'm somewhere between astounded and horrified, thinking Argh! Why did that song have to be about THAT??

We were having a conversation at work within the last year about "misheard lyrics" and we got onto the remix of Tori Amos "Professional Widow". One of us said they misheard the constantly repeated line "It's got to be big" as "He's got a big dick", and another said "Well let's face it, that's what she's getting at really isn't it?"

My jaw hit the floor. I don't know what I'd thought she was getting at....but it sure as hell wasn't that. (Incidentally, my brother hears "Saturday pig".)

On Tuesday, February 28, 2017 at 7:04 PM, RoseGoesToYale said:

All of the time! I thought this one song was about a father/daughter relationship, only till as the song progressed it became obvious they were talking about romance. I still prefer to imagine it as that way though. The song is Work Song by Hozier. 

And Shut Up and Drive is about sex! Well you learn something new everday.

Ghost of AVEN
On 23/06/2015 at 0:41 AM, Frozen Fairy said:

So I DID realise it was about sex quite quickly, but for those who don't know, in Katy Perry's 'Birthday', I'm affraid her 'big balloons' aren't actual balloons...

Woah woah woah what? I mean I got how some of it was about sex, but I never thought about it like that. O_o I just realised what the big balloons are.

there are too many to count....

I suppose one i will remember always is Independence day by David Byrne (yes its old). First line - Now and then I get horny, at night we do

there are a surprising amount of David Byrne songs about sex....Pity, the tunes are amazing.

on a different note- why can't songs just say in the title that they are about sex- It would save so much confusion.

Or why can't there be less songs about romance - we are not all obsessed about it 

Mychemicalqpr

I was just thinking last night, does "I really really really really wanna zigazigaaah" in Wannabe mean...?  

Sometimes I can't tell if I'm onto something or if I'm thinking too much. 

chair jockey

Rightly or wrongly, popular musicians have been known for their very high libidos for a long time. Plus they are businesspeople and putting sex in songs makes more money than not putting sex in songs. And censorship in the past made innuendo far more common than it is today.

My least favourite innuendo, from a 1980s disco song, is spoilered because of how severe it is:

Spoiler

The song "You Spin Me Round" says: "Open up your love cause look out here I come."

A friend of mine had to explain to me that this song is about sex.

I still don't really completely see it.

December by Collective Soul has the lyric "Turn your head now, baby, just spit me out". Ever since it came out in 1995 I always thought that line was sexual.

Chores:

Don't scream about, don't think aloud
Turn your head now, baby, just spit me out
Don't worry about, don't speak of doubt
Turn your head now, baby, just spit me out

"If You Seek Amy" by Britney Spears.

I didn't get it until after wondering why someone else in the car was smiling and laughing the entire time it played on the radio. -_- I loved that song until I realized what it was about.

Also- I had no idea that "Stronger" was about sex. D:

On 2017-3-26 at 2:13 PM, chair jockey said:

Rightly or wrongly, popular musicians have been known for their very high libidos for a long time. Plus they are businesspeople and putting sex in songs makes more money than not putting sex in songs. And censorship in the past made innuendo far more common than it is today.

My least favourite innuendo, from a 1980s disco song, is spoilered because of how severe it is:

Hide contents

The song "You Spin Me Round" says: "Open up your love cause look out here I come."

Is that what that song is about!?

Wow. Reading what other people have posted as sex songs is really surprising to me... I didn't realize they were all about sex? Are they really? I'm a little skeptical.

I also didn't realize "If You Seek Amy" by Britney Spears was a literal "iF yoU seeK aMY" (FUCK ME) until a few days ago. It still doesn't seem super... clever, I suppose? Still has a good beat.

<No longer active>

i dont have any song to add really... i basically assume every song is about sex unless i can prove it otherwise. I used to exclusively listen to the UK charts and the 'Now that's what i call music' discs, so like 95% of my childhhod songs are sex.

it's sad, but that's the way the world is....

Hey BUUUTTTT, 'We don't have to take our clothes off' by Jermaine Stewart is a favourite of mine.

Archived