Tiny mentions that don't deserve their own thread (2015 version)

ithaca

• 2 weeks later...

Have A Gay Day on FB posted this yesterday:

SDiC7Nz.jpg

Sydney Morning Herald briefly mentions asexuality in an article on Morrissey: http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/music/the-pleasure-and-privilege-of-life-with-a-morrissey-soundtrack-20150505-ggugev.html

The pleasure and privilege of life with a Morrissey soundtrack

May 8, 2015 - 11:45PM

Barry Divola

Her name was Marilena, she was Italian and she barely spoke any English. How could I not fall for her immediately?

It was the northern summer of 1986, we were on a dance floor in Edinburgh and I was trying to get over the English girl of 1985, who – to quote the great sage Kirsty MacColl – had broken my heart in 17 places.

We had been dancing for no more than a minute when a new song started. Crisply strummed, jangling guitar, a drum roll and then: "Sweetness, sweetness, I was only joking when I said I'd like to smash every tooth in your head."

Marilena smiled, her eyes lit up and she leaned in close. "I love Morrissey!" she shouted over Bigmouth Strikes Again, the Smiths' song that had only been released a couple of months earlier.

"I too love Morrissey!" I shouted back, for some reason speaking too formally, as if English was my second language.

That night, Morrissey played matchmaker. Marilena and I wandered back to the youth hostel at one in the morning with our arms around each other, then made out for two hours on a couch in the communal lounge room, before heading back to our same-sex dorms. The English girl of 1985 started to fade a little in my memory. She'd dumped me for a guy who hated the Smiths. He drove a sports car and liked Spandau Ballet and Simply Red.

If this was my only story to tell about the Smiths, they would still be one of my favourite bands. From my first published album review in a national music magazine (Hatful of Hollow, RAM magazine, 1984) to scribbling down the complete lyrics to How Soon Is Now? for a forgetful Johnny Marr, who was struggling to get past the first verse at a 7 Worlds Collide sound check in Auckland in 2001, they're part of my music geek DNA.

I woke up every day in 1984 to the sound of their debut album. Joe, one of my three flatmates, would put that record on each morning as he got ready for work and Morrissey's voice would float through our house.

"Hand in glove, the sun shines out of our behinds, no, it's not like any other love, this one's different, because it's us!" he would insist, in surely one of the greatest declarations of passion in pop-music history.

My friends and I loved his dramatic pronouncements. We knew they were over-the-top, but that was the point. We would affect the Moz gaze, a coy, middle-distance look through hooded eyes. At parties we would adopt his exaggerated dance moves, all loose-limbed and flamboyant. At some point, one of us, and I'm not naming names, pranced around the lounge room with a bunch of flowers in the back pocket of his jeans, in imitation of the great man.

I say all this as someone who, like George Costanza in Seinfeld, has an unblemished record of staunch heterosexuality. But Morrissey gave straight, nerdy, music-obsessed young males of the '80s permission to be a little bit gay.

At the time, Morrissey was espousing his asexuality, claiming he was celibate. Just two years ago he issued this statement: "Unfortunately, I am not homosexual. In technical fact, I am humasexual. I am attracted to humans. But, of course ... not many."

His sexuality never seemed to matter to us as Smiths fans anyway. I used many of his songs on compilation tapes I made for girls, trying to win their affections while using Morrissey as my Cyrano. It seemed that my go-to songs for those tapes, whether they were by the Modern Lovers, the Go-Betweens, the Triffids, Lloyd Cole and the Commotions or the Smiths, were about longing and yearning and the excruciating but delicious ache of unrequited love. Few ticked all those boxes as well as Morrissey.

When the band announced their break-up, we were heartbroken that we never got to see them play. Their final album, Strangeways, Here We Come, was released posthumously in September 1987 and I remember my friend Simon saying he'd played the whole thing over and over apart from the final track. He was holding off, because he knew it would be the last Smiths song he would ever hear for the first time. It goes without saying that we were so young back then and we didn't have steady girlfriends.

And then Morrissey went solo. The love affair continued with his debut, 1988's Viva Hate, which I bought so early after its release that I got a rare Australian version with the original title, Education in Reverse.

But cracks started appearing in our relationship. Elvis Costello was a man who I considered God from 1977 through a good stretch of the '80s and he once cuttingly but accurately said: "Morrissey sometimes brings out records with the greatest titles in the world which, somewhere along the line, he neglects to write songs for." Morrissey also brought out records that had neither great titles nor great content, such as Bengali in Platforms and You're the One for Me, Fatty.

Loving Morrissey, like loving any pop star, is difficult; although his interviews are invariably witty, cutting, hilarious and scurrilous, his music can be wildly inconsistent. He sang and wrote the words to There Is a Light that Never Goes Out and How Soon Is Now?, for which he deserves a knighthood – not that the rabid anti-Royal would accept it. But he also wrote his latest album, World Peace Is None of Your Business, which topped my list of the biggest turkeys of 2014.

Despite his protestations of being misinterpreted, over the years he has made questionable comments about race and immigration. He can't help picking fights, most recently referring to Madonna as MacDonna and skewering her "frightening career". His autobiography, disappointingly titled Autobiography, was just fine for 150 pages and then descended into the equivalent of being stuck in the passenger seat of a taxi and being subjected to a droning rant from the driver, as he wittered on for 50 pages about the bitter court case with former members of the Smiths, who claimed they were not compensated fairly for their input. Readers could have rightly felt unfairly compensated for the time spent wading through the bile.

On the other hand, it's easy to be a fan of the man because the man started as a fan himself. As an intense teenager in Manchester he wrote impassioned and opinionated letters to NME and Melody Maker, obsessed over pop icons from another era and even wrote fan books about James Dean, the New York Dolls and obscure B-movie actors.

"Pop music was all I ever had, and it was completely entwined with the image of the pop star," he said in 1991, reminiscing about his youth. "I remember feeling the person singing was actually with me and understood me and my predicament. A lot of times I felt I was engaged with an absolute tangible love affair."

He then went on to become a pop star who served exactly that purpose for his own fans. He adorned the sleeves of the Smiths' singles with archival photos of singers, actors, writers and public figures he'd adored before he became famous, including James Dean, Elvis Presley, Billy Fury, Terence Stamp, Truman Capote, Shelagh Delaney, Candy Darling and Pat Phoenix from Coronation Street.

In early 2006, more than two decades after my first flush of love for the Smiths, and a long while since I'd got any real rush of excitement from the announcement of a new Morrissey solo album, I was sent to Manchester to interview a band from Sheffield who were about to release their debut album. Everyone was saying they were the most exciting thing to happen in English guitar groups since the Smiths. They were called Arctic Monkeys. I saw them play second on the bill to Maximo Park. They were, of course, fantastic, a smart and surly distillation of what a young rock band should be.

The next morning, I knew where I needed to go. I jumped in a taxi and asked the driver to take me to Salford. When he asked for the address I said, "Do you know the Salford Lads Club?"

"Oh God, you're a fan of that band, are you?" he asked.

"I'm afraid I am," I said.

The Smiths stand in front of the Salford Lads Club on the sleeve of their 1986 album The Queen Is Dead. I felt like I needed to stand there too.

"Get out, take your photo and I'll wait here until you're finished," said the driver when we arrived. "Believe me, you don't want to be hanging around this neighbourhood."

When I got back in the cab, he turned to me and asked, "Was that worth it?"

Of course it was. And of course, despite our rocky relationship, I will be there front and centre when Morrissey plays in a few weeks' time. How could I not be? We have too much history, he has created a good slice of the soundtrack to my life, and if he deigned to do Bigmouth Strikes Again, I'd maybe even get a memory flash of that smile Marilena gave me on an Edinburgh dance floor 29 years ago. The pleasure and the privilege would be mine.

Morrissey plays the Sydney Opera House at the Vivid Sydney festival on May 26, 27, 30 and 31.

EDIT: Also re-blogged by The Age: http://www.theage.com.au/entertainment/music/the-pleasure-and-privilege-of-life-with-a-morrissey-soundtrack-20150505-ggugev.html

Mention in Philly.com regarding a convention that was on 2 days ago: http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/things_to_do/Weekend-event-picks-Dad-Vail-Regatta-Wizard-World--more.html

A sex-positive convention featuring TED-style talks and longer workshops exploring all facets of sexual identity including taboos, asexuality and sexual assault takes place at the First Unitarian Church (2125 Chestnut St.) from Thursday, May 7 through Sunday, May 10. Programming begins at 6 p.m. on Thursday, 8 a.m. on Friday and Saturday and 10 a.m. on Sunday.

And another mention is in an article from the University of California Guardian: http://ucsdguardian.org/2015/05/04/the-politics-of-gender-bender-gingerbread/

POSTED ON MAY 4, 2015 BY VINCENT PHAM
The Politics of Gender Bender Gingerbread

Boy-Interrupted-BW-Edit-Bear.jpg
Boy, Interrupted
Vincent Pham
vnp003@ucsd.edu

Have you ever asked your gingerbread cookie what gender it identifies with before you mercilessly dip a leg into a glass of milk? If you said yes, you might be Lord Farquaad’s doppelganger. If you said no, I welcome Shrek and friends to continue our ongoing conversation on gender norms through a cookie. Lord Farquaad, too, for inclusiveness.

If you Google “Genderbread Person,” you’ll find a colorful diagram by Sam Killermann explaining gender and the labels this entails. I’ll be dissecting Killerman’s first iteration of his diagram, but do explore your own sexplorations in his more recent iterations. They include gender identity and expression, biological sex and sexual orientation. It’s these four concepts that shroud gender norms, and are integral in understanding where many gender norms comes from.

Let’s ruminate on our Genderbread Person V.1 and see what it has to offer. Gender identity is how you see yourself, and this ranges from woman to man and everything in between. Gender expression is how you show your gender in accordance to traditional gender roles. This can be through behavior, dress and/or interactions. Expression ranges from feminine to androgynous to masculine. Biological sex is how we are determined by our genitals (vagina and penis) and typical chromosome compositions (XX and XY), although AP Biology has taught me that our sex organs may not always be binary. Lastly, our sexual orientation is based on who we are attracted to physically or emotionally or in any other way. Orientation ranges from heterosexual to homosexual on the Genderbread Person V.1 diagram. Newer iterations include asexuality, which is an important addition because hetero and homosexuality tend to imply a binary configuration when that’s not always the case.

Now let’s put our fledgling knowledge of gender in practice. Someone who is biologically a man can identify and express as a woman and also be heterosexual (i.e. attracted to women). While confusing, this shows the value of comprehensive understanding.

Spectrum is important for understanding how these concepts create a binary. That binary is the force behind checking off “male” or “female” on official documentation — or the force that had Chuquita and Phillian discriminated against. It’s also the force that segregates bathrooms into “men” and “women.” But that didn’t stop my mom when I was a kid (I used the women’s restroom during my younger years). As counterintuitive as it may seem, let’s deconstruct these binaries we see everyday and let the terms become more fluid. It’s difficult, but it’s a step in the right direction.

Taking all of this in, ask yourself how you identify in each of the four categories. Once you figure that out, take it a step further and think of the privilege, or lack of, that you receive because of your identity. More so, how does your identity intersect with other attributes you hold — ethnicity, socioeconomic status, physical ability. And how does that further privilege or complicate where you stand in our society? You’ll be surprised at what you may unpack.

FaerieFate

Have A Gay Day on FB posted this yesterday:

SDiC7Nz.jpg

There's a site that's very open to asexuality (there's actual a few others other than me on there) and I shared it there. Because it's awesome and I hope they'll share it wit their friends.

Malaysia Chronicle mentions asexuality once in an article on sex: "Are M'sians worthy to talk about SEX?"

Saturday, 16 May 2015 08:04
Are M'sians worthy to talk about SEX?
Written by Nicholas Chan

Sex sells. There’s no wonder in that. It is as much a global phenomenon as a Malaysian one. But to have cringe-worthy news headlines on sex is another matter.

It is a wonder how discussions about marital rape can somehow ended up in “sex on a camel” and “no coitus interruptus without consent”, while the topic of paedophilia can entered the realms of heightened emotions (or total nonchalance), ethno-nationalism and ultimately, the binary of Eastern-Western values.

Recently, someone also pointed out that liberal values are what that caused paedophilia. This is highly confusing because the people often termed as ‘liberals’ in the country are also those who stressed the need to criminalise paedophilia, while the conservatives are often those less concerned about it.

All in all, the discussion is very chaotic, non-meaningful and repulsive to say the least. If you do feel something is amiss about these arguments-whether it’s about marital rape or paedophilia-, like I do, it’s this. Very little of the discourse is about sexuality, to me the crux of the debate. What is the role of sex in marriages? What drives one into paedophilia? Little of it is addressed.
Malaysians in general are peculiar beings, we are obsessed about sex on one hand (else why do we even bring camels into this?), but on the other hand, we are uncomfortable about it happening, as if Malaysian babies can come from some other processes.

We hate the sight of public display of affection, we ban concerts that in any way, or by the imagination of some, imply promiscuity, and if we want to discredit a public figure, nothing does better than to splash him/her with a bucket of sex scandals. Sexuality education is shunned because it is believed that it will promote sex among youths, despite no evidence saying so.

While I maintain that what happens between two consenting adults in their intimacy should be strictly private, I do think we ought to discuss it more. Just not in the current manner that lacks honesty, equality, and any decent sense of seriousness.

Sex is inherently biological, no doubt, but for an organism as complex as us, it extends beyond that. It also symbolises power relations, market forces, socio-cultural influences and contemporary understanding of morality, to say the least. That is why our sexual health is tied to not just our physical well-being, but also psychological ones. And for those working in the sex industry, that extends to their financial well-being too.

If sex forms such a great part of our lives, or even civilisation, we ought to recognise it and we ought to know why. But that doesn’t mean we should feel sufficient with having old men deemed religious to dictate it in front of a crowd of young ladies, whimsically throwing a dirty and even sexist remark here and there, all on national TV. That’s patriarchy at its best, and it shows that how underdeveloped our discourse about sexuality is, as can be seen from how we ruminate on marital rape and paedophilia.

Sex is being taken for granted to the extent that we never examine about the critical meanings behind it. We never bring into enquiry the matters of consent, of power relations between and within genders, of how the consumerist culture affects our views about the matter (it’s almost clear that market forces are shaping the idea that, albeit subliminally, to have sex is to consume) and fundamentally, about our biological urges.

We cannot do so, because like most things in Malaysia, we refuse to accept anything other than conformity and uniformity. For example, besides all this hype about the act of intercourse, have we ever considered the question of asexuality or platonic love?
We know from the bottom of our hearts that no two partners enjoy the same sexual lives (or lack thereof) in relation to the others, but instead of being open about it, we rush to pass judgement on the sex lives of others. Unknowingly, sex has become a form of social control (it has been for ages, actually), and we are not only controlled by it, but also perpetuating the mechanism of control itself.
These questions might sound academic but they are more important than we think. For example, if we don’t dwell into the question of consent (and the capacity for it), how do we identify criminality? If we don’t examine the biological and socio-cultural factors, how do we make the claim that certain forms of sexuality are unnatural?

Latest research does point to paedophilia as a form of sexual orientation, but are we intellectually equipped to even talk about it? Without a deeper understanding on the questions of rights, reproductive biology and human sexuality, I shudder to think where the dialogue might go if the floodgates are open. That said, I must add the caveat that not all individuals preying on minors are paedophiles, and that not all paedophiles inadvertently ended up as sexual offenders.

At this point, I can already predict that some quarters might see my message- wrongly, I might add- about discussing sexuality more openly is to encourage people to have sex more openly. Why won’t they when they have the sex-on-a-balcony case to quote from? But that’s precisely the problem; we are so insecure and ill-educated about sexuality we yanked every time people want to talk about it. We draw lines about who should talk about it and who should not.

I recall reading this article where the author questioned a Muslim feminist that wrote about marital rape if she’s married. The implicit logic is that if one is not married, one should not be having sex and hence should not talk about it. As direct as the logic is, it is also an impoverished one. If we hold the opinion that some people are unworthy to talk about sex, the society itself is most probably an unworthy one to talk about it.

Come on, even the logic that you need to be a criminal to catch a criminal only exists in movies. If not, I as the forensic science graduate would have had killed someone and made a painting with his blood to earn my distinction. – TMI

From ChaosLife's sarcastic series "Queer Benefits":

2015-05-29Queer-Benefits-Asexual.jpg

That asexual guy

So, apparently The Hermit showing up in Tarot card readings is a possible sign of asexuality and/or aromanticism

http://thecolu.mn/17017/queering-the-tarot-the-hermit

Could be a cool symbol to use for some as well, I suppose.

The Hermit in most tarot decks lives isolated, usually in nature, relying on Earth and an ancient spiritual wisdom only they have access to. Interpreting this card, at least on the surface level, usually sees us encouraging querents to learn to love their time alone, and to use it for spiritual purposes. Frequently it shows up for newly single people warning them not to jump into something else too quickly, and very often it’s a card of self-reliance. Alternate readings can include maturation and the inner peace and wisdom that come with aging.

Queering this card is crucial for LGBTQQIA* clients sometimes. On the most basic level, those with unaccepting families will find themselves walking a Hermit’s path before falling into a chosen family, and while this is not actually exclusive to queer experience, it is all too common in our community. If the question revolves around how the coming out process will go, the Hermit serves as both a warning that the conversation may not go ideally, but also as a reassurance that the wisdom and peace needed for dealing with this blow are present within oneself. The Hermit showing up at all reminds us that making time to take care of yourself is necessary, and that there are always periods of time when we most rely wholly on ourselves. In a queered reading, this is especially true.

Along these same lines, that first queer break-up, standing up for ourselves to friends or family that judges but doesn’t disown us, and periods of questioning our gender or sexual identity may lead us to a time of The Hermit—a time when we must spend a lot of time alone, walk our own path even if it feels lonely, and rely on our own spiritual wisdom and power. The really great amazing news that the Hermit brings is that if you take the card’s advice, you are looking at a series of spiritual and emotional breakthroughs, life-changing epiphanies, and a side order of strength of conviction that you didn’t know was possible. This doesn’t change for LGBTQQIA* querents, but it’s a crucial promise of a pot of gold at the end of an otherwise painful period of rainbows that people in our community need—often more than their straight, cisgender colleagues.

I would, of course, be remiss if I didn’t bring up asexuality and aromanticism, particularly if the Hermit shows up repeatedly, when a client asks why they haven’t met anyone to get excited about, or in various other relevant times. This can be a tricky topic to broach, and I actually don’t recommend flat out asking “Do you think you might be asexual/aromantic?” unless you’re reading for yourself. I do want to add here that not every asexual person is aromantic and vice-versa, but both may abstain from sexual or romantic relationships for various reasons, including their own desire or lack thereof. Instead, I would compassionately talk about the importance of alone time and remind them that not everyone is meant to be partnered. I might not say the word aromantic, but I would ask if they even WANTED to be partnered, because even though in the moment they might think so, the idea might sit in their mind until they’re able to process it further.

Tarot readers are not sexuality experts or therapists. The job of the tarot cards or a tarot reader is not to label, diagnose, or otherwise decide for the querent—it is to provide them information, inspiration, and empowerment so that they can do these things for themselves moving forward. For the purposes of this column, however, knowing that repeated showings of this card or the card showing up in regards to romantic or sexual questions could connect to an asexual or aromantic identity is vital. My final note along these lines is an acknowledgement that not everyone who abstains from romantic or sexual relationships is aromantic or asexual. Illness, religious beliefs, and gender dysphoria could lead someone who is LGBTQQIA* to chose to live a Hermit’s life. Not labeling the client yourself is incredibly important in these cases, and if any of these reasons are present, that solitude could be fluid or the querent may find themselves willing to move away from The Hermit later on. That in no way changes the present reality, and all of this should be considered carefully when engaging with the querent. Obviously a lot of this compassion and tact can go out the window if you’re just reading for yourself, but it’s still important to know that repeated showings of The Hermit still do not warrant it remaining in your life forever and ever.

The Hermit will show up for everyone at some point in their lives. Alone time is crucial, but what’s more crucial is the art of self-reliance and the ability to access the deepest magic and highest spiritual plane within yourself. For queer or questioning people, this time can be life-altering in the best possible way, but it bears noting that we may fall into this time period through less than joyous circumstances. Additionally, readings should be informed and compassionate for people of all identities, and that includes asexual and aromantic querents. Queering The Hermit should take all of those possibilities into account without judgment or the temptation to label a querent yourself. In any case, the advice of The Hermit is simple, and even simple to queer: honor one’s truest and highest self, prepare to walk a necessary path even if that means you do it alone, and solitude is so important. Even if the solitude lasts awhile or forever, that too can be and is a beautiful gift. Focusing on these points will empower someone and allow them to make those realizations on their own. After all, The Hermit sees us through important epiphanies, so this is a time to let someone have those on their own.

Nice to see so many tiny mentions about our orientation :) I like this thread a lot.

PicoBong - THE ABC’S OF LGBTQ

Many well-intentioned people have been tripped up by using the wrong word for something sensitive, often more out of misinformation than malice. To help clarify, we’ve put together a kind of dictionary of LGBTQ terms that are commonly run into, but because we are human and there are approximately 976,498,773,243 different expressions of gender, sexuality, and romantic behavior, this list is incomplete.

We also would love to hear your suggestions of things to add to our list!

Grapefruit: (Noun) A disgustingly sour citrus fruit that is yellow on the outside and pink in the middle which defies logic and reason. Apparently healthy for you.

Pomelo: (Noun) A significantly more delicious version of grapefruits which are sweet instead of sour, and also much bigger so take that grapefruits.

Source: http://www.picobong.com/en/blog/the-abcs-of-lgbtq/

Just wanted to highlight the two best entries on PicoBong's list.

That asexual guy

Nashville LGBT+ center to fly asexual flag

http://www.outandaboutnashville.com/story/outcentral-celebrate-remodel-flag-raising#.VXOWX1L3ac0

Nashville, TN, Thursday, June 4, 2015 – The community of Greater Nashville is invited to take part in a ceremonial flag-raising event being held at OutCentral on June 12, 2015 at 7:00 PM.

Since it’s establishment in 2008, OutCentral Inc. has strived to serve the LGBT+ community of Greater Nashville by providing the community with much needed resources, impactful programming opportunities, and ground breaking events that serve to educate and engage the Greater Nashville area on LGBT+ issues.

In January of 2015, the new Board of Directors decided to recommit OutCentral to the LGBT+ community of Greater Nashville and renew OutCentral to fulfilling its mission. We have since dedicated ourselves to establishing a Volunteer Database that will be accessible to all of Greater Nashville’s LGBT+ Non-­‐Profit organizations and placed a strong focus on establishing new and engaging programing opportunities. OutCentral is also in the process of organizing several new annual events like the Out in Transforce Work Fair—set for later this summer, the event will focus on connecting Transgender individuals with Trans inclusive businesses.

We have also remodeled the facility at 1709 Church Street and reengineered our storefront. On June 12, 2015, we will complete the remodel by mounting four LGBT+ pride flags to the top of the building. Each flag will represent a different element of the LGBT+ community: a transgender pride flag, bisexual pride flag, asexual pride flag, and a six color rainbow pride flag.

OutCentral Inc. is Greater Nashville’s LGBT+ Community Center. Our mission is to connect, educate, empower, and build an energy filled space for Greater Nashville’s diverse LGBT+ community. OutCentral is located at 1709 Church Street, Nashville TN, 37203. To learn more please visit www.outcentral.org(link is external) or by emailing info@outcentral.org(link sends e-mail).

CosineTheCat

Small mention of Sherlock and his *almost* Asexyness!

May 15th, 2015

Sherlock Season 4 Premier Date, News, and Updates: Benedict Cumberbatch is the Sexiest and Most Asexual Sherlock Holmes in the History of the Sherlock Holmes

There has been a lot of 'Sherlock' in the history of Sherlock-- I don't if I'm making sense-- but according to Mark Gatiss (Mycroft in Sherlock), Benedict Cumberbatch is the 'sexiest' Sherlock ever, however he's also asexual.

Doctor Strange Updates, Rumors, and Casting Update: A Recent Tweet By Director Scott Derrickson Suggest of 'Death' Being Involved in the the Upcoming Movie
Here's the latest on Sherlock Season 4 premier date, news, and updates.
Like Us on Facebook Subscribe to eNewsletter
In our generation we could think of two popular Sherlock actors from the top of our head, the Oscar nominee Benedict Cumberbatch and the Iron Man actor Robert Downey Jr. However we know that Benedict's Sherlock is more popular making it the top most tweeted TV series when it's running. Before Sherlock is witty, funny and charming, but Benedict's portrayal of Sherlock, made Sherlock 'sexy', as what Mark Gatiss said, "[Cumberbatch] made Sherlock Holmes sexy."
Since BBC's Sherlock's premier back in 2011, Benedict Cumberbatch has garnered a number of fans all across the world. The show has been an instant hit with each episode appearing to be as long as a full-featured film.
Mark Gatiss in his interview with the Big Issue added, "We all are extremely proud of Benedict Cumberbatch. Sherlock turned him from a respected actor into a star. That happens very rarely, and he is keen to keep playing the part because he knows how much it has done for him, how much people love him playing it, and he loves it as well."
Benedict Cumberbatch has also found success outside Sherlock but it was BBC's Sherlock that has helped the actor rise to fame now with tons of fans calling themselves, 'Sherlockers' or 'Holmies'. Female and male fans across the world are smitten by his 'Mr. Darcy-esque' portrayal of the character. I remember a male colleague of mine saying, "I'm so obsessed with Sherlock, and I think I might be in
love with him." Yes, the sex appeal of Ben's Sherlock is not only limited to the female geographic but also with the male population.
The odd thing about it, Benedict was able to make Sherlock sexy despite the character being sexless, or I might say he's rather asexual.
Mark Gatiss added, "He is unattainable. He explicitly claims no interest in either sex, therefore he becomes very desirable. But the way Ben plays him and the way he looks is quite Byronic. He has made Sherlock Holmes sexy."
Shelock Season 4 will premier this holiday with their Holiday Special Episode with the rest of the show premiering early 2016.

Archived