Tiny mentions that don't deserve their own thread (2015 version)

ithaca

I'm curious to learn what people think of that documentary (A)Sexual? I enjoyed it a lot and the only part I found rather frustrating was Dan Savage's comments. I don't know if it was his intention, but he came off (at least to me) sounding like an arrogant douchebag and Ace-negative. What does anyone else think?

I'm curious to learn what people think of that documentary (A)Sexual? I enjoyed it a lot and the only part I found rather frustrating was Dan Savage's comments. I don't know if it was his intention, but he came off (at least to me) sounding like an arrogant douchebag and Ace-negative. What does anyone else think?

I dislike the documentary and view it more as an autobiography of an asexual person and not what I'd want to be an introduction for anyone who doesn't know about asexuality already.

VindicatorPhoenix

When I went on checkmyprivilege.com/quiz, I could choose "asexual" as a sexual orientation. This might not be the nicest place to have a mention, but at least it's something.

The Mental Illness Happy Hour with Paul Gilmartin: Episode 245

The latest podcast episode of “The Mental Illness Happy Hour with Paul Gilmartin” is an interview with Anneke Lucas, a Belgian pedophile ring survivor. It’s a very frank, moving conversation about how she comes to terms with her experiences. She also mentions briefly that she identifies as asexual.

A warning, obviously: triggers abound throughout the interview, for psychological and sexual abuse. But I can really recommend listening to the whole podcast; it’s ultimately a truly touching story about an exceptional, inspiring person. I have excerpted and transcribed the relevant passages below (starting at -1:17:45):

Paul Gilmartin: How has what happened to you affected your sexuality?

Anneke Lucas: Well, I am asexual. So, I can certainly enjoy sex now, which is part of the healing. But for many, many years, I couldn’t feel anything at all. I was completely shut off. And then when I started to be active again, I realized, oh yeah, my body works, it works, but I don’t really care. So, yeah, there’s this pleasure, and I always feel that I’m perverting a spiritual joy. And I’m bringing to this experience a spiritual quality of peace and bliss that is very enjoyable for the man. But I don’t care, I don’t really want to do it. So, now, I’m being true to that. Saying, no thanks.

Paul Gilmartin: We have a lot of listeners that are asexual. And some were abused, some weren’t. And they feel very alone in terms of how society views them, that society wants to change them, somehow. And they resent it, and that makes sense to me because, let people have their own thing. Let them be their…

Anneke Lukas: Let it be alright, wherever we are at. And I like the word ‘asexual’ as a description, not as a label. So, that’s where I’m at. And I’m very happy within that, though. I’m very happy that I got to that. That I realized, oh yeah, it’s true, if I look back, I never really was very into it.

• 2 weeks later...

I was just watching the Saturday Night Show in Ireland (hosted by Ray Darcy) and they had three people who were asexual talking about Asexuality and their experiences.

I don't remember all the details but romantic orientations were mentioned. (including aromantic, actually two of them were aromantic asexual) I thought they spoke very well about it overall.

Edit: Here's a segment of it

This is more of a case of not being acknowledged, but I couldn't really find a thread and didn't want to start a new one for something this small. Feel free to let me know/move if there is a better place for this.

STOP-Homophobia on FB has posted a link to a PDF which educates people about the difference between gender/sexual identities and expressions.

Sexually attracted to only includes Men/Women/Other Gender(s)
http://www.educateandcelebrate.org/product/trans-guidance/

If there's someone from Poland and don't use Polish forum (like I don't, for example) here's something for you:

I wrote a post about asexuality in connection to the Asexual Awareness Week and posted it on Polish LGBT+ rights association, Grupa Stonewall, site! :D
Take a look!

http://grupa-stonewall.pl/aseksualizm-faq-czyli-wyjasniamy-i-obalamy-mity/

I've also made aN infographic! On this site there's Polish version and here's English one :

3534395_ASEXUALITY-INFOGRAPHIC.png

That asexual guy

If there's someone from Poland and don't use Polish forum (like I don't, for example) here's something for you:

I wrote a post about asexuality in connection to the Asexual Awareness Week and posted it on Polish LGBT+ rights association, Grupa Stonewall, site! :D

Take a look!

http://grupa-stonewall.pl/aseksualizm-faq-czyli-wyjasniamy-i-obalamy-mity/

I've also made aN infographic! On this site there's Polish version and here's English one :

3534395_ASEXUALITY-INFOGRAPHIC.png

This graphic really works so well for someone like me. I identify ONLY as asexual. I don't add romantic attraction or any other words. I like that this graphic explains asexuality without weighing it down with a lot of other terms and it explains the diversity in simple language.

This graphic really works so well for someone like me. I identify ONLY as asexual. I don't add romantic attraction or any other words. I like that this graphic explains asexuality without weighing it down with a lot of other terms and it explains the diversity in simple language.

Thank you so much!

I've tried to show that not every asexual is the same. But even though we are so different from each other, we can still identify with one term: asexual. No matter if you're aro ace or romatic ace; no matter if you are sex-aversed or sex-favorable, no matter how you see the definition of asexuality and so one, the term "asexual" is something we all have in common. And if you feel happy because you use this label, no one should tell you that you're wrong and that you don't belong to the community.

Darryl “DMC” McDaniels Of Run-DMC Discusses Homophobia In Hip Hop

Lidtime

Milan wrote via Instagram: “No1 cares I’m gay, no 1 cares that your closed minded and you think I’m going to h*ll for being true to myself, no1 cares if you think I can’t break up with my man and be back together with him whenever I feel like it”. But in hip-hop, we disrespect the hell out of women. “You could be the gay stylist, the gay camera person”. By the end of the conversation, it’s clear that there is still a lot to discuss regarding LGBT issues, the black community and hip-hop. Many of these rappers are gay, but a few identify as bisexual, asexual and pansexual as well. Since that time, others have joined the ranks and come out publicly while many others would rather keep their sexual preference private.
That asexual guy

Bisexual students face harassment more than other LGBT students, whereas asexual, questioning or other gender identities face the highest risk of being victims of sexual assault.

From "LGBT students face higher rates of sexual harassment, study reveals"

http://m.redandblack.com/uganews/lgbt-students-face-higher-rates-of-sexual-harassment-study-reveals/article_cc812b24-7844-11e5-9496-5700e03539a9.html?mode=jqm

Alex Beecroft, who just came with a new(ish) book featuring an asexual character (Blue Steel Chain) has an article out in the Queer Romance Month blog in which she touches on both bisexual and asexual characters:

We All Need Stories by Alex Beecroft

More articles, if you're interested, can be found here which span a whole range of topics.

That asexual guy

Article questions Q's sexuality in new Bond film.

Qs private life stays a bit of a mystery however (perhaps to be explored in later films), the only allusion to it coming when Bond teases him about living alone with his cats.

Is Q straight? Gay? Asexual? Actor Ben Whishaw wouldnt be drawn on the matter.

That would be giving away far too much information, he said of his characters sexuality. I think hes a very guarded man, I get the feeling hes a pretty solitary human being.

Full article
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/spectre-s-naomie-harris-it-was-gratifying-seeing-moneypenny-get-her-own-love-life-a6710936.html

Alex Beecroft, who just came with a new(ish) book featuring an asexual character (Blue Steel Chain) has an article out in the Queer Romance Month blog in which she touches on both bisexual and asexual characters:

We All Need Stories by Alex Beecroft

More articles, if you're interested, can be found here which span a whole range of topics.

Seems promising.

I am not logged into my amazon account on this computer, but if I was, I would answer the critic on Amazon saying this is "not a real romance" because there isn't a physical/sexual aspect and his disbelief that Aidan would know he was asexual without going to a therapist etc. This review annoyed me to no end. Someone have their account logged in, who can comment? I think the review is named "Not a real romance" or "Not a romance novel" or something like that, 3 starts if I remember correctly.

That asexual guy

Quote from actress Emma Thompson in an interview in the Sept. 19, 1995, edition of The Advocate magazine where she is talking about picking up a gay man in a gay club:

Did you know he was gay?

Oh, Yeah! He was just gorgeous. I'm just not used to thinking about the difference. What I think is more interesting is people who are asexual. I think that most people really are bisexual, but asexual people are very interesting.

Quote from actress Emma Thompson in an interview in the Sept. 19, 1995, edition of The Advocate magazine where she is talking about picking up a gay man in a gay club:

Did you know he was gay?

Oh, Yeah! He was just gorgeous. I'm just not used to thinking about the difference. What I think is more interesting is people who are asexual. I think that most people really are bisexual, but asexual people are very interesting.

Very interesting considering the date! Thanks for posting!

Agent Rainbow

In this webcomic I read called Les Normaux, one of the characters is ace. http://lesnormaux.tumblr.com/cast

Actually, the whole cast is so diverse. There is only one straight person, and only one white person. I highly suggest you read it; they really have done their research regarding the characters' orientations.

This video briefly mentions demisexuals, demiromantics and aromantics while discussing St Valentine's Day.

A danish online newspaper uses the word "aseksuelle" (danish for "asexual") in a very neutral and informative sentence. The article is about fertility treatments of women who have not had sex for different reasons. They estimate that 10 babies are born pr year this way of virgins:

http://politiken.dk/forbrugogliv/sundhedogmotion/ECE2942637/mindst-10-boern-aarligt-foedes-ved-jomfrufoedsel/

Archived