nicknames.

kelico

nicknames.  

1. 1. Do you have any nicknames?

• Yes, in real life and online.
    • Yes, IRL only.
    • Yes, online only.
    • Nope. Only my full name is used!
  2. 2. Do you like giving people nicknames?

• Yes!! So fun! : )
    • Sometimes.
    • Not really.
    • No, never.
  3. 3. Were you given your nickname(s), or did you come up with them for yourself?

• Given by friends/family.
    • I made it up myself! And others started calling me by it/them.
    • I don't have any!
  4. 4. The nickname(s) that you have...do you like them?

• Of course!
    • Well, most of them.
    • Some of them...
    • No. D;
    • What nicknames?
  5. 5. Of these choices, what would you want as a nickname? (You must choose!!)

• Fluffy
    • Cuddles
    • Grumpy-pants
    • Sillykins
    • Chirpydoo
    • Moops
    • Toe
    • Sweetiecakes

This poll is closed to new votes

Just a silly poll, haha. : ) For "online nicknames," I don't mean just usernames (cause they are almost always made up!), but if someone shortens your username and/or creates a nickname from it, that counts! But yeah, you know what nicknames are...from the ridiculous ones, to the kinda jerky ones, to the sweet ones, to the really basic ones. I tried to come up with really stupid ones...or ones I call my birds for the last question! Haha. ;)

For me, I have nicknames from various online communities based off of usernames, and I have several from friends and family! The majority of them are "Kel" haha. Even my username "kelico" is based off of a nickname from my brother. :P My mom calls me "Girl," and my dad calls me "Babes." My oldest brother calls me by my real name or just "K," and my other brother...well, there are lots, but a couple include "the kid" and "the boy" lol! So a variety...

Feel free to share your nicknames if you're comfy with it or not! Whatevs. : ) Thanks for taking the poll~ :cake:

My initials are KC, so a high school friend used to call me 'equilibrium constant' or 'Kc' (which I very much approve of because chemistry is my one true love). I also get called Christmas quite a lot by people who can't be bothered to call me my actual name, which is fine for most of the year, but around the holiday season it can be a little confusing.

Most everyone I know calls me by my middle name, which is a nickname of sorts but it is my real name, just not my first name. I also use this name online all the time too. A short, one syllable androgynous name suits me much better for most purposes than my longer and very feminine given name. Plus, my middle name was given to me in honor of a famous ancestor (it was his last name).

Mycroft is Yourcroft

I actually have different nicknames depending on what country I'm living in at the time, so for example when I'm in Australia people tend to call me by one of my middle names, whereas in the UK people use shortened versions of my first name. Online, they're all to do with my AVEN username :P

WhenSummersGone

I don't have any and I call others by their real name. I picked Sillykins for a nickname though.

I was unsure what a 'moop' was...but it sounded the best of a bad bunch!

Wiki didn't help too much...but I'll take it.

Derogatory?

Cia :ph34r:

Good idea for a poll.

My nickname is Coop.

I don't really have any online nicknames, but I have a ton in real life.

I don't like any shortened versions of my first name, but my first name is pretty long, so in high school a lot of my friends came up with silly nickname for me. Delta was one of them, which is actually the origin of my AVEN username. I just kind of go with the flow and let people call me whatever. :)

I have several nicknames. My parents call me Bob (my main nickname), a lot of people at work and other people I know shorten my first name and I also get called Miss ?????? (my surname) by several people.

I quite like them all. I also tend to give people nicknames too.

Plus I call a shed load of people mate, matey, love, lovey, lovely because I'm rubbish with names. :ph34r:

When I was in secondary school there was a boy two years above me who took a real shine to me and always looked out for me, but he was really bad with names so he could never remember mine. So one day he decided to rename me and he picked Katherine, and within the space of a day Katherine was shortened to Kat and then because it sounded like 'cat' he started calling me Meow - and that's the story of how I ended up being called Meow for 3 years of my life by almost everyone at my school :lol:

(What? No one wants to be nicknamed Toe? Absurd.)

My name is already only four letters so it doesn't get shortened.
The ones I'm fine with people using are Banana and Zay.

In real life i'm known as my name but I never use my real name on the internet, I have various nicknames.

I've always wanted a nickname, but my name is already quite short. I do have a pet name, but that's more personal :blush:

I know, right? It's absurd because of the irony! "Toe" is the only one of the choices that is a real nickname of one of my friends lol. The rest are just silly things I made up or what I call my pets for fun haha. : )

I was unsure what a 'moop' was...but it sounded the best of a bad bunch!

Wiki didn't help too much...but I'll take it.

Derogatory?

Cia :ph34r:

A moop is nothing! I just made it up. :P Tried to come up with ridiculous names lol. : ) So "moops" is definitely not derogatory! If it is somewhere, and I was unaware, I apologize lol!

I know, right? It's absurd because of the irony! "Toe" is the only one of the choices that is a real nickname of one of my friends lol. The rest are just silly things I made up or what I call my pets for fun haha. : )

The things we come up as friend's nicknames. My brother is known as Artichoke. Still no idea how we came up with that.

When I was in secondary school there was a boy two years above me who took a real shine to me and always looked out for me, but he was really bad with names so he could never remember mine. So one day he decided to rename me and he picked Katherine, and within the space of a day Katherine was shortened to Kat and then because it sounded like 'cat' he started calling me Meow - and that's the story of how I ended up being called Meow for 3 years of my life by almost everyone at my school :lol:

I call my mom Meow too. I think it's a pretty cute nickname for anyone really.

My first name is only 4 letters long too and my parents deliberately chose it and my brother's name BECAUSE they couldn't be shortened.

In my case, people have managed to shorten it regardless and in my brother's case, somewhat bizarrely, they lengthen it either using his middle name (which he hates) or by using a longer version.

Go figure! :huh: ^_^

My nephew nicknamed me 'Rustie' due to my red hair which I sometimes use online and quite like. My ex boss' daughter calls me 'Woody' because my surname contains the word 'wood'. My brother calls me 'Charlie', 'Rufus' or 'Egghead' (and I call him 'Reno', long story). On YouTube and Google, I am Redhairkid, sometimes abbreviated to 'Red'.

Real name wise, very few can pronounce it so I get called 'Annie'.

I have a couple of nicknames. The one with the most longevity, and the one I rarely ever use (Lambsy. No laughing at the back Chops :blush:) has been with me since I was two. I have a slightly shortened version of my name that family use and I really like that one. A certain four-lettered-member-who's-name-cannot-be-shortened, often calls me Ducks and I have a more personal one from elsewhere.

I enjoy nicknames, I often give others nicknames, and I find it a sign of endearment. We Brits do enjoy giving them, and although I would embrace sweetiecakes, I do see it causing a few problems. :P

Janus the Fox
I have a fursona nickname called Janus, im known as Janus in furry spaces on and off line :)

The things we come up as friend's nicknames. My brother is known as Artichoke. Still no idea how we came up with that.

Some of my old high school nicknames included things like the periodic table, sparkles, and kaf. So yeah, nicknames can be weird. :lol:

My first name is only 4 letters long too and my parents deliberately chose it and my brother's name BECAUSE they couldn't be shortened.

In my case, people have managed to shorten it regardless and in my brother's case, somewhat bizarrely, they lengthen it either using his middle name (which he hates) or by using a longer version.

Go figure! :huh: ^_^

I had the exact opposite happen to me. My parents named me Katherine partly because there are so many ways to shorten so they figured I'd be able to chose my own nickname. Ironically, I don't really like any of the shortened versions, and still go by Katherine even though it's long and annoying. ^_^

my name is usual shortened to philly by friends from primary/secondary school while for college friends, i used phil while at work, it is the longer version philip though also for work some clients lengthen it further phillip. i like the shortest version and i use that for my facebook page and if writing personal e-mails or private messages.

i know one friend who uses surnames to address people.

in some instances, i use nicknames but a good number of my friends names are shortish already so its ok.

in a fictional character i wrote, i shortened her name when addressed by her best friend to two letters, ki :d

I have a few nicknames given to me by friends online. Usually they just shorten my middle name, well the middle name I will change to later :)

My mom has had a few nicknames for me as long as I can remember...I don't really care much about them one way or another.

For other real-life nicknames, I have a friend who calls me "kiddo" and a former boss who called me "girl" but they are the only people I will let get away with that! :) (I don't like having it implied that I'm a minor--"kid," "girl"...I've been told I look super young, but I'm 24 for cryin' out loud.) My dad sometimes refers to my siblings and I as "the girls" but I don't like that. <_<

I made up a nickname for myself ("Burkleigh") that I have used just as a generic username on some sites. I'm not sure how I came up with it. I think it looks cool and sounds cool, and is sort of an androgynous name with a creative spelling.

Here on AVEN, I've been called Vivaldi, Ives, Viv, and Viva. I like all of them. :D

Thanks for the awesome replies, guys! : )) It's so entertaining to read the stories of people's nicknames. :cake: And so far "Moops" is the most popular nickname of the ridiculous bunch! Haha. ♥

My name is a nickname I got IRL in 6th grade from a bunch of pre-k/kindergarteners at my school [they held up a baby carrot and called me carrot], and I liked it, so I kept it and changed the spelling [the K to fit my IRL name better and the e because that always made more sense to me than o] I sign things I've drawn with an intentional skewing of this name [KERRT] that my friend used to do a lot, and still does on occasion, and it just fucking killed me when he first did it.

Sometimes my sister says my name with incorrect pronunciation, [such as Curry or Cur-Rye] which I take as a sort of nickname.

I've also had a bunch of nicknames on my Gaia account [which is one of the rare sites where Karret/The Karret is not the username I'm known by; instead my user is Saffrons_Curse on there] like Saffy, Saffypants, SaffRoRo, Saffally [which was Saff combined with a mule's name], and others that I've forgotten XD!

I'm also a frequent nicknamer. I do it to my pets, friends, OCs, friends' OCs... just about everything. XDa Often, multiple times over. dfkughgldfk

I always use Dave rather than David for a start, and have two nicknames which are celebrities with my surname, one I like and used a lot, especially when I worked with 3 other Daves, and one I don't like because it's soooo unoriginal.

drjohnhwatson

I bestow nicknames on people like candy unto children at Halloween, and yet no one ever gives me nicknames. The closest I come is people deliberately mispronouncing my name, which I don't think ought to count.

:(.

Archived