Aromantics and Valentine's Day

Xavy

It's that silly season again, walking through the mall this weekend I saw that all the chocolates and other Valentine's day stuff is on display in the stores again, and I am being bombarded with emails About Valentine's day specials, everything from hotel rooms, jewellery, lingerie ....anyway, makes me wonder how my fellow aromantics spend Valentine's day. Last year I just worked late and came home to some Netflix as per every other day.

It's that silly season again, walking through the mall this weekend I saw that all the chocolates and other Valentine's day stuff is on display in the stores again, and I am being bombarded with emails About Valentine's day specials, everything from hotel rooms, jewellery, lingerie ....anyway, makes me wonder how my fellow aromantics spend Valentine's day. Last year I just worked late and came home to some Netflix as per every other day.

I don't.

Barf.

And I'm not aromantic.

Me and you have a lot in common. I am Heteromantic but I hate Valentine's day. I just watch TV and movies til it goes away. What also sucks is that I live in Michigan and their is another Holiday called Sweetie's Day that was made by Hershey's and it's like Valentines Day and I have to look pass that too.

The day after Saint Valentine's Day is Saint Chocolates Day. You know, the day when everyone has their boxes of Valentine's Day chocolates out for me (and possibly other people, I suppose) to have some. It's one of my favorite days of the year.

Aside from that, I like to give the married couples in my family something nice with a sentiment about having a nice Valentine's Day. I have never, and will never, send anyone anything about "Won't you be my Valentine?"

The only thing I view as good about Valentine's Day is being able to buy myself the special and discounted candy, to be honest.

EmotionalAndroid

I have never done anything, except for when I was in elementary school and we were required to give out cards. My parents usually buy me chocolates, which is nice.

To be honest, I really don't understand the whole concept of Valentines day. If I were in a relationship, I wouldn't want my significant other to feel pressured to buy me something on Valentines day. Also, the whole thing just seems like bribery. But what do I know?

The day after Saint Valentine's Day is Saint Chocolates Day. You know, the day when everyone has their boxes of Valentine's Day chocolates out for me (and possibly other people, I suppose) to have some. It's one of my favorite days of the year.

Yes, and they also have them on sale for us. So thoughtful!

The thing is I don't like chocolates either ....so i can't even take comfort in the discounts on chocolates the day after Valentine's.

I usually spend the day hanging out with my single friends. I'm only 20, so quite a few of my friends aren't in long-term relationships yet. I usually gather up all the single people are around and convince them to stop moping about being single long enough to go out and celebrate our friend-love instead.

It's also my aunt's birthday, and she recently became widowed, so this year I'm planning to also visit her if I can.

I just realized that being aromantic and perpetually single on Valentine's day is turning me into the person who cheers up all the other single people. Not that I mind. I'd much rather be visiting family members and going about with friends than being with a significant other :)

I used to celebrate Valentine's Day when I was married. At first, it was great. But, after a few years, I didn't really started to have a non caring attitude towards it. Maybe it's because I'm AroAce. Anyway, I don't celebrate it at all. It's just another day.

Valentine's day is just any normal day for me. Maybe a little less social media, but overall nothing different. Oh my parents usually give my chocolates so there's that. I'm more focused on the day AFTER Valentine's Day when all the yummy chocolate is on sale. :lol:

Then again, I'll probably be reblogging all those stupidly funny valentines cards you see all over Tumblr and other sites.

TheKindredSoul

I do not do anything for Valentine's Day really. I find it to be one of the most boring holidays ever. It is all about romance and that gooey stuff I cannot understand. It also reminds me that aromantics are rare....and WAY too much kissing happens in the hallways at school during that time....yuck!

I sometimes give candy to my friends, but that is it. I like Halloween and Christmas. Valentine's Day......bleh....

....But....CHOCOLATE! :wub:

Amoeba-Proteus

Pretend it doesn't exist, and hope like hell I don't absolutely need anything from a store.

I usually spend a few moments to be irritated by that single person (not myself... the other single person) who always has to whine about how they have no boyfriend/girlfriend on V-Day. To which I think... Some people, don't have a father for father's day, or a mother for mother's day, so... shut up.

:mellow:

Hmm... Valentine's Day traditions... I suppose there is the Buying of Cheap Chocolate on the 15th. And watching the Radio Dead Air (it is a web cast that started as audio only) "&*%^ Valentine's" broadcast. Usually involves songs about being single and such. Also has a segment on the stupid stuff people have done that week (usually) for love.You know those grand romantic gestures you see in romcoms that would explode badly in real life? Well, people still try them, and they explode, and Nash reports on it.

Oh, yeah, there is the Saving of the Buck for not having to buy presents.

To paraphrase M.Bison: "For you, Valentine's Day is one of the most important days of the year. But, for me, it is a Saturday."

You don't have to be aromantic to think nothing of Valentine's Day. I suppose most romantics are annoyed by it, too. Anyway, I don't care about that day, neither do my friends or relatives. So it's a day as every other. I will probably do some groceries and play video games in the evening.

I hated it cuz I've never understood why Valentine's Day exists since I was little. I used to ask my mom about this when I was a kid. I asked "Mommy, why do those couples wearing matching clothes and stuff? It's so weird." It makes no sense to me. I've never liked it and probably never will but I'm getting dragged again into celebrating it this year. I don't know whether I should cry or laugh :'D

I'm all for chocolates though :P

To me it's just a day like any other. But, well, people around me who make known that "love is in the air" feeling they experience are pretty annoying ;p. Oh, and when I was in high-school the only thing that made me enthusiastic about that day was that I could buy candies and food and stuff from the annual Valentine's Day fair. I like eating xD.

I am not aromantic, but I don't like this day. I've never liked it actually. It does not matter if I am in a relationship or single, it looks so artificial and pathetic. If I love someone, I don't need any special day to say them about it. And too much of the pink colour all around, it makes me blind :wacko:

Tho I have a plenty of work due this day, because we have to design so many V-day related stuff. Maybe this is the reason of my dislike -- massive overdose.

?... couples wearing matching clothes and stuff?

.....wearing matching clothes is considered romantic ? Wow, I am happy I am Aromantic. Lol.

?... couples wearing matching clothes and stuff?

.....wearing matching clothes is considered romantic ? Wow, I am happy I am Aromantic. Lol.

I used yo wearing matching clothes with my brother a lot when we were younger to fool people into thinking we were twins (we look really similar even though we're three years apart). But I haven't purposefully worn matching clothes in years, and I'm glad I'll never have to do it with a romantic partner- it would just make me think of my brother and would hold no romance for me.

In what kind of weird part of this planet is wearing matching clothes something couples do on Valentine's Day? oO

In what kind of weird part of this planet is wearing matching clothes something couples do on Valentine's Day? oO

Sounds like the days of our grandparents... :)

(Not aromantic, but asexual.)

Ah, Valentine's Day. I learned to hate it early on, when I would only get Valentines at school from the kids who were forced to give them to everyone, and never from anyone who was only giving them to people they liked (my best friend was Jehovah's Witness and so she never celebrated the holiday, and no one else liked me enough to give me one).

Then I got older, and realized just how much more terrible it was, and my best friend and I (different best friend) would send each other "anti-Valentines Day" cards. "May we both die happy old maids," she wrote to me one year. (She may have also been ace, I don't know. Back then "asexual" wasn't a sexual orientation. I would not be surprised if she's ace.)

And then there is the commercialization of the holiday. And the feeling like a useless fifth wheel in everyone else's life because they've got that special day (on a Saturday this year, too) for each other and I have to avoid everyone that day or else I could be read as impinging on someone else's "special time."

I despise the advertising that comes out this time a year where some woman is telling the male audience something like, "give me [this item] and I'll give you what you really want -- SEX." In so many words. (And meanwhile, telling the women in the audience that this is what their male partners will expect from them when they arrive with that object.)

So much ick.

Anyway, sex and advertising aside, it doesn't HAVE to be icky. My immediate family and I usually have positive interactions on that day, however, just as a sort of "we all express our love for each other" sort of thing. My family also gave me Valentines as a kid and that was nice, since I didn't get them from kids at school, unless it was obligatory.

I hated it cuz I've never understood why Valentine's Day exists since I was little. I used to ask my mom about this when I was a kid. I asked "Mommy, why do those couples wearing matching clothes and stuff? It's so weird." It makes no sense to me. I've never liked it and probably never will but I'm getting dragged again into celebrating it this year. I don't know whether I should cry or laugh :'D

I'm all for chocolates though :P

I could totally see wearing matching clothes with a partner. But for cosplay, not Valentine's Day. (Unless we did cosplay on Valentine's Day.)

Pretend it doesn't exist, and hope like hell I don't absolutely need anything from a store.

I usually spend a few moments to be irritated by that single person (not myself... the other single person) who always has to whine about how they have no boyfriend/girlfriend on V-Day. To which I think... Some people, don't have a father for father's day, or a mother for mother's day, so... shut up.

:mellow:

THIS.

Valentine's Day is bothering me less now that I have a better understanding of why I dislike it.

Last year I wrote an non-Valentine journal on deviantART about other things that are commemorated on Feb 14th. Maybe I'll try and write something this year - I don't know, an aromantic poem or something?

Amoeba-Proteus

Anyone remember those really corny little cards they made you hand out on V-Day in public school? :P

I never understood it. I always wondered "Why am I doing this? I don't care about these people..." *Hateful little child*

They always made us do this stupid secret valentine thing where you had to buy a "romantic" gift for your person. I didn't buy "romantic" gifts for my partner when I had one, why am I buying gifts for someone I barely know? "Oh happy V-Day. Here's a random poor quality stuffed toy."

Actually, I did bake one fabulous cake for my partner for V-Day once. But it wasn't because it was V-Day and I felt obligated. I just randomly felt like baking a huge obnoxious cake. :P

If we ever did give each other stuff for holidays, we almost always took it as an opportunity to make something silly for each other, rather than buy tacky stuff from the stores.

Nothing says "I love you!" like a cheap Bob the Builder V-Day card and a stuffed gorilla holding a heart that you got from Wal-Mart!

They do in Asia -_- The stores even sell his and hers tshirts in little bottles sometimes right before Valentine's Day.

Anyone remember those really corny little cards they made you hand out on V-Day in public school? :P

I actually miss that. In my opinion, Valentines day was much more fun when it was about giving cards to your classmates and friends instead of making out with your significant other.

Archived