Canonically Ace Character in new YouTube series

seekingfurtherillumination

So recently I've been watching a new webseries called March Family Letters, which is a modern retelling of Little Women. If you are familiar with webseries at all, it is done by Pemberley Digital, the same people who did The Lizzie Bennet Diaries, Emma Approved, Welcome to Sanditon, and Frankenstein MD. I don't really know Little Women at all, I've never read the book, but I've been watching because I've liked the series put out by this company in the past.

Anyway, I just discovered some of the characters have tumblr blogs, and I clicked in to check them out. Beth March had recently done one of those "about me" meme tag games, and in it there is a question about sexual orientation, and she filled in "ace".

I know there was once a thread around here about ace characters in tv and films, but I have no idea if there were any found that are canonically ace or just what people think, but here is a canonically ace character. It just made me really happy to see, and I hope they address it at some point in the actual series, because it would be nice to have representation, even if it is in something as small as a YouTube webseries.

Anyway, here is a link to the webseries for anyone interested in watching: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_ePOdU-b3xf69PZcEbgxlviLrBhJ_cpp

And here is a link to Beth's tumblr where she identified herself as being ace: http://thebethmarch.tumblr.com/post/109147070968/repost-this-do-not-reblog-tag-ten-people-you

a-happyhippie

I am so down for this! I love Little Women and Lizzie Bennet Diaries. ^-^

Dodecahedron314

This seems really cool, even though Little Women was one of those books that I started multiple times and then always just kind of abandoned halfway through. I loved Frankenstein, MD, so I'll have to check it out!

Thanks for sharing :) *wanders off to find the book and see if she is canonically ace*

Elegant Elephant

Thanks for sharing :) *wanders off to find the book and see if she is canonically ace*

Not to ruin a 130 year old book, but Beth is the one that dies, I am pretty sure. So I don't think she would be canonically ace in the original text.

It is a favorite of mine, so I will have to reread it, regardless. And now I need to watch the web series.

Not to ruin a 130 year old book, but Beth is the one that dies, I am pretty sure. So I don't think she would be canonically ace in the original text.

It is a favorite of mine, so I will have to reread it, regardless. And now I need to watch the web series.

Well in the Q&A today with the production team, they mentioned that it just made sense to them to make Beth ace because in the book she never really had a romantic interest and didn't really seem to have any interest in finding romance. Of course, the concept of asexuality back then didn't really exist, but they seemed not to think it was much of a stretch. She called this one of her "JK Rowling moments" as in she always imagined Beth as ace while writing her for the show, but it was only revealed on tumblr unplanned because it came up. It wasn't something they put in purposely for diversity or representation, it just made sense.

I probably should have said reread*. I know the book, I've read it. It's just that now I realise why I liked her, so I want to relive that experience, knowing more specifically what I like about her part of the story.

And of course it's not exactly canon, I should take more care in how I express myself. I meant that I just wanted to see again that I like reading about her.

Archived