Queer uni/school societies and acceptance?

Next week my uni is having a society carnival and I finally feel like signing up for our LGBTQIA+ student society.

I'm still a little unsure about what it would be like to join, mostly because if I'm the only ace there I'd feel a little vulnerable. What if there are members who don't "believe" in who I am?

Have any of you had experiences with being in a queer support and information group or anything of the sort?

What actually happens in LGBT student groups and GSAs?

I might have been living under a rock.

I know nothing about those societies (I don't think there's something similar in my university), but if you feel like joining- try it. If they don't accept you or if you feel uncomfortable there or if it just doesn't fit you anymore- leave. Just do what feels good, it doesn't really have to be complicated I think.

I'm not super involved my mine or anything, but I do spend a lot of time hanging out in the social area when I'm stuck at school in between classes. Generally speaking, people aren't going to ask you what you are anyway. It's not like you're going to show up and people will be like HMMM SO WHAT KIND OF QUEER ARE YOU? CAN YOU PROVE IT? PASS THE QUEER TEST! If you're unsure, you could probably hang around and get a feel for the environment without necessarily having to tell anybody you're asexual.

You could also just....ask. That's what I did. I approached someone from my school's Queer Student's Centre and just asked if asexuality was included and they said yes.

That's reassuring. I don't mind people knowing that I'm ace, but it's also something I wouldn't want to announce unnecessarily.

I snorted at the idea of a queer test.

SunlightOnTheGarden

I'm currently my university LGBTQ Network's convener, and though it's obviously very dependent on the specific place, they're really really friendly and accepting. I'd say definitely go along and see what happens - the fact they're an LGBTQIA+ group and not just LGBT is usually a good sign too.