Does asexuality run in your family?

Devil Kisses

Hazel lights

I think there's a good chance my sister is an aro ace like myself, though last time I asked she hadn't labeled herself. But I've never seen her show any interest in anyone and she claims that she won't get married until I do and she knows perfectly well that's not likely. However we are fraternal twins so it might not just be genetics, there's also shared prenatal hormones. My grandmother said she didn't show much interest in guys when she was in highschool, but I don't think she meant asexuality. In fact she only brought it up because i was trying to explain my own asexuality again.

One set of my great-grand parents might have been since when I explained asexuality to my Grandma she said it reminded her of them.

Otherwise no. But my Mom is bisexual so maybe my romantic orientation is related to that.

Im not sure about you guys *cues lady gaga music* baby i was born this way

My mom might not be particularly "sexual" (anymore), but she's definitely not ace.

I don't know anyone else in my family that I suspect of being ace, either.

Grumpy Alien

Very possible. I don't know. But more than half of my relatives are not sexually active and the unmarried (my mom and her sister) have shown no interest in dating. I don't think any of them would ever label themselves as anything but straight but there's a weird trend in there somewhere. I think it's probably more coincidence and low/no libido due to genetic disorders though.

nerdperson777

It's possible. The nature vs. nurture thing might blur the lines for me since I'm not really sure.

I have a feeling that my mom could be ace, grey-ace, or demi. She has a sense of aesthetic attraction while I don't. She hardly called anyone "good looking". I was amazed when she was doing research on pop-classical crossover violinist David Garrett. She called him good looking. She says that Dad may have been good looking when they first met, but that's the extent of her stories. She said she didn't really care about the dating scene. One of her sisters is a year or two older, but they both graduated high school at the same time because the sister stayed back a year for a guy. The irony of all of it was that my mom got married and the sister didn't, even though she was a total romantic. She probably just didn't want to be tied down by marriage. In fact, my mom is the only one to have a child (not counting the half-sisters, my grandfather married twice). There might be something genetic about it since many of my maternal aunts (including the half-aunts) did not get married. Out of 10 children, I think my mom and two of her half sisters procreated.

And for Dad's side, not so sure. He was the middle of 5, and only the 3 brothers got married and had children. The sisters had divorces and never had children. Dad considers himself such a faithful husband just because he didn't go cheating when Mom gave him "nothing". But as ace, I didn't realize it was that hard. Dad acts indifferently straight and makes normal dude jokes about boobs so it's hard to tell. Lately it's about getting in bed with Mom, since they have never slept in the same bed ever.

No one really discussed romance or sex with me on a detailed level so it's possible that my parents are some sort of ace.