after five years on AVEN I still get demi and gray-a confused

chair jockey

Does anyone want to help clear up my confusion?

Sage Raven Domino

Let me quote the FAQ:

• What is a demisexual?
    A demisexual is a person who only experiences sexual attraction after an emotional bond has been formed. This bond does not have to be romantic in nature.
  • What is the difference between a grey-a and a demisexual?
    A demisexual is a type of grey-a. Just like all squares are rectangles, but not all rectangles are squares, you can say that all demisexuals fall under the gray-a umbrella, but not all grey-as are demisexual.

There are other types of grey-As, e.g. some fetishists do experience sexual attraction only to people who carry their fetish (but whom they possibly don't know well when the attraction starts), hence they can be classified as greys, not ace-fets (who have a fetishist libido but not attractions), and they're certainly a distinct category from demisexuals.

Another kind of greys are sapiosexuals - those who get 'turned on' by primarily intelligent discussions and develop only secondary sexual attractions to people who have won their intellectual attraction (i.e. whom they find smart and interesting to dispute with). An intellectual connection doesn't necessarily result in an emotional bond and vice versa, so again, sapiosexuals are a different category from demisexuals.

Archived