My materials on non-binary genders

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure if the translation affected it but agender is more like not Identifying as any gender or Identifying as having no gender. The site said "person identifying himself with any of the sexes" that is kind of the opposite and implies masculinity. Other than that it seems good.

Looks good, and I like your approach, but to be more accurate with the terms:

Bisexuality is sexual attraction towards at least 2 genders, or same and other genders. Pansexuality is attraction to all sexes and genders. You should specify that they're about sexual attraction.

You could briefly mention that romantic orientation is separate from sexual orientation, because you mentioned aromanticism. You said that romanticism is the lack of sexual and aesthetic attractions, when it's only the lack of romantic attraction.

I just put agender as a kind of genderqueer.

I don't think that's how most people use these terms. I've only seen them as different things, where genderqueer means having a mixture of genders in some way, and agender is the opposite, not having any gender.

I consider genderqueer to be a blanket term for everyone who doesn't identify as male or female (basically a synonym for non-binary), so agender folk like myself would qualify. And Wikipedia agrees with me, so I must be correct, as Wikipedia is the source of all truth.

I consider genderqueer to be a blanket term for everyone who doesn't identify as male or female (basically a synonym for non-binary), so agender folk like myself would qualify. And Wikipedia agrees with me, so I must be correct, as Wikipedia is the source of all truth.

Heh! I know I've also seen people use it differently. Maybe you can include a note that usage can vary (by individual, region or community)? This might be a good idea in general.

littlepersonparadox

I second this opinion. I identify as genderqueer and my agendered date-mate does too Yet we have 2 separate gender identities.

• 3 weeks later...
Omnes et Nihil

Except that there are a lot of us non-binary people who *aren't* genderqueer. And I definitely know a few agender people who *aren't* genderqueer.

I think it's more accurate to say that genderqueer is a blanket term for some people who don't identify as M or F (in a diverse variety of particular ways). It's a blanket, but it doesn't cover all non-binary people.

Except that there are a lot of us non-binary people who *aren't* genderqueer. And I definitely know a few agender people who *aren't* genderqueer.

I think it's more accurate to say that genderqueer is a blanket term for some people who don't identify as M or F (in a diverse variety of particular ways). It's a blanket, but it doesn't cover all non-binary people.

This. I'm one such non-binary person.

This. I'm one such non-binary person.

Okay. Not all non-binary people identify as genderqueer, got it. So... what's "genderqueer" mean, then? Is it just a not-everywhere-accepted word for non-binary?

i always just thought genderqueer was an umbrella term for anyone with a gender beyond the M/F binary but i guess it's worth remembering that 'queer' is a slur not everyone wants to reclaim and so plenty of people would not want to identify with the term.

i always just thought genderqueer was an umbrella term for anyone with a gender beyond the M/F binary

Me too ...

i guess it's worth remembering that 'queer' is a slur not everyone wants to reclaim and so plenty of people would not want to identify with the term.

I see .. this makes sense.

Still, I'm a bit puzzled ... could someone who identifies as non-binary explain why they don't consider themselves genderqueer?

Omnes et Nihil

i always just thought genderqueer was an umbrella term for anyone with a gender beyond the M/F binary

Me too ...

i guess it's worth remembering that 'queer' is a slur not everyone wants to reclaim and so plenty of people would not want to identify with the term.

I see .. this makes sense.

Still, I'm a bit puzzled ... could someone who identifies as non-binary explain why they don't consider themselves genderqueer?

It's not just that. It's actually a lot more of an issue than just people who might or might not use a particular word. They have two substantively different meanings.

Genderqueer has a particular meaning-- it's about queering gender. There's a lot of gender going on-- it's not usually consistent but there's a lot of it. (And that's probably why I haven't actually met any agender genderqueer people, although I'm sure some probably exist.) In contrast, non-binary is a descriptive umbrella term for genders that are non-binary (i.e., not "man" or "woman").

The agender people I've encountered may or may not identify as non-binary, but are very unlikely to identify as genderqueer.

There's also a particular context for genderqueer. And from descriptions it seems to be more political than non-binary but that's also not the case. It's that genderqueer has particular politics. And a particular history of how those have played out (which don't necessarily match up with the stated politics).

It's hard to give a simple definition for it because it's sort of something you have to feel (or don't), but there are many ways of being non-binary that aren't genderqueer... and actually vice versa.

Some further reading (one from a non-binary space, one from a genderqueer space):

http://nonbinary.org/wiki/Genderqueer

http://genderqueerid.com/post/22784179849/what-is-the-difference-if-any-between

Imagine binary equals a specific animal, say... the set of all domestic house cats. Non-binary means "the set of all organisms that are not domestic house cats." It doesn't say what they are. If genderqueer equals "the set of all plants," these are also all not cats, but they are incredibly diverse and very different from one another.

I am not a plant, nor am I a cat.

thanks for all of that, i'll definitely check out the links and adjust my mental definitions accordingly ^

i always just thought genderqueer was an umbrella term for anyone with a gender beyond the M/F binary but i guess it's worth remembering that 'queer' is a slur not everyone wants to reclaim and so plenty of people would not want to identify with the term.

Also, as Omnes et Nihil said, there's the "queering" meaning as well. I don't feel I am "queering" gender so much as opting out/refusing to be a part of gender. (Some people consider that queering. I'm not sure if I do, to be honest.)

Thanks for explaining. It's always more interesting to hear about people's personal experiences and points of view than to (only) read encyclopedic definitions ...

Archived