If you were "God" what would you do?

Conscientious Ghost

Conscientious Ghost
What would you change and/or keep the same? Would you use your powers for selfless deeds or for selfish deeds? Would you destroy yourself or the universe? I saw a TED conversation and played The Sims 2 early, so this popped in my mind.

I would probably magic myself out of existence, if that were possible.

Grant everyone immortality. The freedom from death would not force people to be cruel. The need to survive is ultimately the root of all human conflict.

Then everyone could just play games forever.

SorryNotSorry

I damn sure wouldn't create humans!!!

I would live in secret among people helping where I see fit and then changing form so no one would ever be able to find me again after seeing my ability.

The movie "Bruce Almighty" was a great take on this. It was hilarious but also very touching, like when Bruce was hit by a truck and, apparently in the solid white light afterlife, told God (played by Morgan Freeman) "I just want (my girlfriend) to be with someone who makes her happy."

The selfless nature of the prayer was very touching after Bruce let his ego run amok through most of the movie. Granted, the results were hilarious, but I also really liked the selflessness at the end. :-)

In that movie, God's specific limitations are:

• Cannot interfere with free will (such as make someone love you)
  • Hears EVERY SINGLE PRAYER on Earth

@ShyFeather

If you're God, you can very easily cause them to forget what they saw.

I'd probably sell off the entire world to Starbucks.

The movie "Bruce Almighty" was a great take on this. It was hilarious but also very touching, like when Bruce was hit by a truck and, apparently in the solid white light afterlife, told God (played by Morgan Freeman) "I just want (my girlfriend) to be with someone who makes her happy."

The selfless nature of the prayer was very touching after Bruce let his ego run amok through most of the movie. Granted, the results were hilarious, but I also really liked the selflessness at the end. :-)

One of my favorite comedies, actually. Sadly, its sequel ("Evan Almighty"), as so many sequels, was vastly inferior.

In that movie, God's specific limitations are:

• Cannot interfere with free will (such as make someone love you)
  • Hears EVERY SINGLE PRAYER on Earth

I found point 1 on that list to be wishy-washily explained. But I guess the movie would not have made sense to a mainstream Judeo-Christian audience otherwise... ;)

As for point 2... Bruce pretty much went bonkers, even though God - wonderfully portrayed by the incredible Morgan Freeman (who else? :)) was wise enough to just burden him with answering the prayers of a couple of city blocks in Chicago (or something like that).

EmotionalAndroid

Well, I don't know what the rules would be or what I could/couldn't do, but if I could I'd eliminate the need the be afraid of anything. Fear is a huge part of my life, driving almost every decision I make. I don't want anyone to have to be afraid of anything and worry like I do. I actually had a dream once where I was the master of my own world, and I remember actually feeling the most calm and relaxed I'd ever felt in my life, because nothing scared me.

I'd probably get rid of a lot of technology, too, because it is not helping very much. And after that, I'd make sure everyone had a hypo-allergenic cat and some cake.

Could I self-destruct? What am I saying, of course I could. I'd be god. I could do anything I wanted. I'd self-destruct. And possibly take most of humanity with me in an attempt to fix the mess I had made.

Interesting topic, after putting thought into it, I don't think anyone here could be as merciful as the real God. Many of us would say that we would stop war, but how? Destroy those who create it without considering their motives? Get rid of peoples' ability to free thought?

As for the people, how many times can any one of us forgive them? As for helping the people through the tough times, how many times can someone do it before tiring of it and leaving the people on their own?

I would transform the Earth into chocolate and the Moon into a pizza.

Per Aspera Ad Astra

I'd make the Doctor real (as well as the whole Doctor Who universe), and then I'd travel with him forever.

Choose traits I find unsuitable or detrimental (greed, hate, laziness, cruelty, etc) and destroy the people that possess any of them. Then let the others live as they see fit with no interference from me, until the next purge is needed.

verily-forsooth-egads

I would open the walls of reality and give everyone free transport to Hogwarts.

Sleepy Skeleton

Make myself a Queen and rule over everyone. Bless people I like and curse those I don't. Life's a game and I want to have fun.

I would be The God. Why would I even care about earth?

Mycroft is Yourcroft

I'd make everyone more empathic! And then I'd give them all top hats and moustaches!

Even women ? :P

Interesting topic, after putting thought into it, I don't think anyone here could be as merciful as the real God. Many of us would say that we would stop war, but how? Destroy those who create it without considering their motives? Get rid of peoples' ability to free thought?

As for the people, how many times can any one of us forgive them? As for helping the people through the tough times, how many times can someone do it before tiring of it and leaving the people on their own?

I don't think you're giving people enough credit. Sure, most people are rather vain, but there are the rare few who possess true virtue.

Even women ? :P

Your post is striking me as genderphobic. If I were God, I would have a special place for people like you.

Your post is striking me as genderphobic. If I were God, I would have a special place for people like you.

I think this was just in response to the moustaches. I'd at least try giving everyone moustaches! Men, women, and genderqueers! Adults, children, and babies! I can always reverse it.

If I suddenly became God - not just a god, but God - I'd probably test out exactly what that means, break the universe, rebuild it, and then decide to give my position to a creature like me but wiser. Then, I'd demote myself to a lesser deity and live in a fairly human fashion so I can be an individual within existence. Then, I'd pretty much be a less evil Loki.

I'd start with getting rid of periods for female bodied people (y'all are welcome).

Then I'd skip the world peace because people should have free will. Instead I'd change the food pyramid so people can eat delicious food regardless of calories.

I might throw lightning at sex traffickers or something. Just because fuck those guys.

As God,

I'd just leave Earth alone and go find somewhere else, because holy crap this placed is beyond screwed up.

Ooops lololol sorry 'bout that Earth

Kinda let y'all get a little crazy there, didn't I?

I don't think you're giving people enough credit. Sure, most people are rather vain, but there are the rare few who possess true virtue.

Even with those who have moral and true virtue, I find that sooner or later something like this happens.

I might throw lightning at sex traffickers or something. Just because fuck those guys.

A good example of this is those who play The Sims or Sim City.

Ideally? Something that would benefit the world overall.

In reality? I'd probably procrastinate about doing anything useful until the last minute and slap something really crappy together and hope for the best.

Since I'd have unlimited time and resources, I would probably use Earth like a strategy game board and play out different scenarios.

Use my newfound omniscience to determine the most optimal course of action for making the world a better place. If it's a "best of all possible worlds" scenario, do nothing and observe.

Archived