"Sex repulsed." Too extreme for me?

cheapcoffee

So this is kind of a silly, super technical question. To be sex repulsed, do you really need to be DISGUSTED by sex? That's the definition I usually see. And personally I'm not super grossed out by sex/all things sexy. It just makes me reeaaally uncomfortable and kind of embarrassed. I don't like talking about or seeing sexually explicit things, but it doesn't make me gag. Can sex repulsed also be classified as just being kind of repelled by it?

(And I'm not sex negative, I don't have an issue with it in a general sense.)

crazypimpernelfan

Yes, from what I've heard sex-repulsed can also mean you're repelled by it. You don't need to be disgusted by sex in order to be sex-repulsed (repulsed also means to repel, or drive back/away from). In the general meaning of the word, you're sex-repulsed.

Some prefer now to make a difference between sex repulsed (disgusted) and sex averse (just wants to avoid sex, sometimes because physical stimulation is overwhelming for the brain) and I agree with it.

a-happyhippie

I would think so. I consider myself sex-repulsed (I can get really uncomfortable when my friends talk about sex and stuff). In fact I typically only hear it used when talking about simply being repelled or uncomfortable by the idea.

I don't know off the top of my head what offically classifies as sex repulsion, but I don't necessarily see any problem with you identifying as sex repulsed. You're kind of repulsed by sex, even if its in more of a "this makes me really uncomfortable" way instead of a "this is disgusting" way.

Although, if you're still wary about saying you're sex repulsed, I've seen people use the term sex adverse as well, which might also fit.

Ricecream-man

Some prefer now to make a difference between sex repulsed (disgusted) and sex averse (just wants to avoid sex, sometimes because physical stimulation is overwhelming for the brain) and I agree with it.

I agree with Rising Sun here. It comes down to the definition of "repulsed" and just disliking something doesn't count as being repulsed. It would be like someone who doesn't like shots saying that they have a phobia which wouldn't be true.

Another term I've heard is "prude" although with the connotations that come with that I could understand why you wouldn't want to use it.

Well, you could just describe what you just described and forego the term altogether. There's really not much point to labels to describe yourself, they're more like keywords for looking related stuff up.

I hate sex . I resent it . It's a huge enormous obstacle that's in my way . I was born with androgenous receptive syndrome . I've been single my entire life and feel very trapped . I would get married if sex wasn't a part of it and because of sex I can't Married . I will not compromise on this. I don't want sex and will not do it to appease another person as that's no compromise for me . Bottom line I can't get married because of sex and thus feel trapped in the single life . I WILL NOT ever have sex and I don't have to

I consider myself sex-averse.

What that means for me is that I'm fine with sexual things (they can be gross, yes, but I don't have an inherent problem with them). But that changes when it's about me. Trying to think of myself in a sexual situation results in either sickening nausea or total mental blocks - like my thoughts actually censor the idea and steer away into safer, abstract waters. I don't think I'd ever be able and willing to engage in sexual behaviour. I'd consider myself 'repulsed' if I had similar averse reactions to thinking about, say, two others engaging in sexual activity. I'd be 'indifferent' if I felt alright with thinking about myself in a sexual situation and perhaps actually having sex.

So that's a bit different from Rising Sun's definition, which defines sex repulsion about the same way but aversion as something closer to just choosing celibacy. I like my definitions more, but these terms aren't really widely used, so their meanings aren't quite fixed. And these aren't really labels that are necessary for everyone, just useful descriptors for some people to explain their experiences to others.