Russia says drivers must not have 'sex disorders'

Ortac

Yeah, I saw that. What.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/11334934/Vladimir-Putin-bans-transsexuals-from-driving.html

telegraph mentions asexuals

The Association of Russian Lawyers for Human Rights warned that the law effectively bans “all transgender people, bigender, asexuals, transvestites, cross-dressers, and people who need sex reassignment” from driving.
  • Like 2

I knew that Putin/Russian government didn't like sexual miniorities, but didn't knew they would go this far. A sad day for the people who are affected by this :/

• Like 7

I see no correlation between driving and sex, except that maybe having sex while driving would be distracting to the driver. Therefore, this makes absolutely no sense to me, unless the Russian drivers licence can be used as an ID like the American one and you want to exclude certain "unwanted elements" from society?

Also, why are transsexuals, gamblers and thiefs (the last two should include a considerable part of the current Russian elite, by the way) more likely to cause accidents than say, alcoholics? Or violent egomaniacs?

On the other hand, Saudi Arabia doesn't permit women to drive, either. Russia: now in one league with Saudi Arabia. Way to go...

• Like 7

I don't think logic applies to this. I think it is part of the Russian governments crackdown on sexal miniorities among others.

• Like 9

I don't think logic applies to this. I think it is part of the Russian governments crackdown on sexal miniorities among others.

Yep. "Oh, so you wanna drive? Be straight and cisgender. Be 'normal'".

• Like 1

I see no correlation between driving and sex, except that maybe having sex while driving would be distracting to the driver. Therefore, this makes absolutely no sense to me, unless the Russian drivers licence can be used as an ID like the American one and you want to exclude certain "unwanted elements" from society?

Also, why are transsexuals, gamblers and thiefs (the last two should include a considerable part of the current Russian elite, by the way) more likely to cause accidents than say, alcoholics? Or violent egomaniacs?

On the other hand, Saudi Arabia doesn't permit women to drive, either. Russia: now in one league with Saudi Arabia. Way to go...

don't look for reason or sense behind this, because there is none, all it is, is the further subjugation of minority groups that are vulnerable in society

• Like 5

I had to stop reading that article when I first saw it as it was making me very angry and wanting to hit my head against a wall.

• Like 3

This is ridiculous and sickening at the same time.

Put(a)in de merde. Excuse my French.

• Like 3

This reminds me uncomfortably of Hitler in every way. West "allies" trying to turn Russia into a third world country to get cheap goods and labour from. Russian people being fed up, anger and fear producing government that cracks down on minorities. I'd be worried if the shit going on in the US didn't worry me far more.

First law deliberately against asexuals confirmed? I'm aware that asexuals are less affected than others since many can fall under the radar if they are not lgbt. I kinda doubt most will give a shit whether one's asexual or not

• Like 1
Stained Glass

This has rustled my jimmies

• Like 1

This is disgusting. Every country should sever diplomatic relations with Russia and they should be banned from sporting events until the Government sees sense.

The annoying thing is that is seems perfectly acceptable to discriminate against and disrespect those of 'alternative' sexuality (which cannot be helped) yet those who deliberately pursue an immoral lifestyle are encouraged and one is not allowed to exclude or insult them. For example, it seems to be perfectly acceptable to ridicule asexual women who are still virgins at 50 or whatever, yet a woman with many children by different men but who never married them must be tolerated.

• Like 4

yet a woman with many children by different men but who never married them must be tolerated.

What would be wrong with that? Or with a man with children from many women? As long as it was all consensual, are we actually being prudes and saying "promiscuity is bad"?

• Like 5

Oh my goodness seriously...

It is Russia, what to expect from there?

I will stop here because I don't want any warnings.

yet a woman with many children by different men but who never married them must be tolerated.

What would be wrong with that? Or with a man with children from many women? As long as it was all consensual, are we actually being prudes and saying "promiscuity is bad"?
I don't think that was the point in LaMaestra's post. I think she meant to address people who seek potentially damaging and harmful life styles, for them and others.

I'm not being one-sided or anything, just saying how I've interpreted her text.

Per example, a mother with many children from different fathers might have a hard time raising her kids, even if it was consensual or not, it might bring a lot of problems, she might not be able to pay for their education, might have a faulty parenthood in some ways.

That was the point I got from it at least.

• Like 5

Fascist bastards win a few battles, but I am very certain we win the war.

Hope you don't mean that in it's literal sense :s

*frown* What is wrong with Russia... how can you fear alternative lifestyles that much. :(

Russia have always been oppressive, and it is often easier to (authorian) rule through a homogenous population than pluralistic one. Plus Putin and his government is really social-conservative (or perhaps even reactionary) with elements if Fascism. That plus he is in the bed with the Russian Orthodox church it is natural he oppress (real oppression) these groups, ideologically and pragmatically.

• Like 1

A Russian friend linked me to it yesterday. It does include asexuals. As I said in another thread on here (in JFF), as bad as it is it is also so absurd, I just cannot take this seriously.

• Like 1

A Russian friend linked me to it yesterday. It does include asexuals. As I said in another thread on here (in JFF), as bad as it is it is also so absurd, I just cannot take this seriously.

The articles I've read so far list a bunch of labels, including asexuals. But we don't know if it's a deduction of a few journalists who decided to list some "sex and gender identity disorders" or if the Russian law specifies which sex/gender stuff it addresses. Does your Russian friend have access to the text of the law (which I imagine is in Russian)?

• Like 1
Lord Happy Toast

I'm not sure what to make of this news story. One the one hand, it seems believable, while on the other, it also seems like the sort of thing that could easily be fact-light sensationalist journalism. (e.g. a couple years ago that there was a big brouhaha about how Greece had supposedly decided to give disability benefits to pedophiles. That story even got repeated in the New York Times, but later the AP issued a very short correction. The story got huge attention. The retraction got much less.)

With the current story, I haven't been able to find anything that a) actually stated what the new law said, b) how it differs from what the law has already said for a while, or c) cited any Russian officials trying to justify it. Rather, pretty much everything is from people who are telling you how extremely bad something is. They seem to have relatively little motivation to be honest--even if the story did prove to be utter nonsense, I expect that they'd face minimal backlash for doing so (given the increasingly unfavorable attitudes towards Russia in most of the world--and especially in the US and Western Europe).

Of course, I can easily imagine that the story is actually true (at least in part), although various media sources seem to be relying largely on speculation in some lists of barred groups (especially for the inclusion of asexuals). Perhaps Russia has a problem with too many drivers and is wanting to restrict the number of cars on the road. Perhaps this is a part of an attempt to use fear of some sort of sexual boogeyman to justify increasing police power. (In the US in the 1950s, "the homosexual" played this role. There are a lot of people who believe that, with increasing acceptance of gay people, we've simply switched from "the homosexual" to "the pedophile" as our boogeyman of choice.)

• Like 1

If it does include asexuals, then I am out of words to say because well, asexuals weren't targeted directly by the laws and this is the first time a law directly discriminates against asexuals.

• Like 3

Russia is now basically a caliphate, and Putin is the ayatollah. He will do whatever he wants according to his repressive belief system. Since he has allied himself with the ultra-conservative Russian Orthodox Church, repression of sexual minorities is to be expected.

• Like 1

Before I read more of the thread, I couldn't help but be incredulously amused because it's so completely dumb.

But then, there's a post in particular that just pushes me towards not believing the article at all, which is the one highlighting the fact that this could seriously be a bullshit story with absolutely no integrity, not based on facts and just wants to create a stir, even if there's nothing to stir.

So I'll reserve my facepalm and incredulity for a later time, when, if at all, the story can be corroborated.

Google translated Russian article: https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Flenta.ru%2Fnews%2F2015%2F01%2F04%2Fnocrazydrivers%2F&edit-text=&act=url

"Approved by the government list includes 10 diseases that are contraindications to complete control of a vehicle, said RIA Novosti . Eight of them - a disease of the nervous system: schizophrenia, organic mental disorders, mood disorders, stress neurosis, personality disorders age, mental retardation, the effects of substance abuse and epilepsy. "

It's vague and definitely leaves open the possibility of LGBT counting as an "organic mental disorder", but doesn't say anything specific. However, I think [this] might be the official list, but I can't read Russian. so.

• Like 1

The articles I've read so far list a bunch of labels, including asexuals. But we don't know if it's a deduction of a few journalists who decided to list some "sex and gender identity disorders" or if the Russian law specifies which sex/gender stuff it addresses. Does your Russian friend have access to the text of the law (which I imagine is in Russian)?

I read it in Russian. Here is the article:

http://snob.ru/selected/entry/86178

(In (to be) logest thread Kelly also linked to google translated https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ru&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fsnob.ru%2Fselected%2Fentry%2F86178 )

In the article it says that it is about people listed in the categories F60 to F69 in the "International Classification of Diseases", and it links to the Russian online version. By "International Classification of Diseases" (Russian МКБ-10) they mean this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ICD-10

We'd have to see if it includes asexuals in categories F60-F69 or maybe, e.g. hyposexual disorder.

EDIT: Those are all the categories listed in English https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ICD-10_Chapter_V:_Mental_and_behavioural_disorders#.28F60.E2.80.93F69.29_Disorders_of_adult_personality_and_behaviour

Oh, and the official Russian law thingy you asked for, but no way I am reading this (but F60 - F69 is listed on the second page):

http://publication.pravo.gov.ru/Document/View/0001201501040003?index=0&rangeSize=1&back=False

EDIT2: I think we'll fall into this category (F66.2)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_relationship_disorder

• Like 6