Inclusion in Homeschooler Survey

Batman's Ace

Batman's Ace

A while back, I participated in an anonymous survey for Christian homeschool graduates. I was mostly pleased with how the survey was worded and set up, and the first part of the results are out.

I wanted to post about it because they included asexuals. Some of their questions weren't possible for me to answer with complete honesty, because of my orientation, and presumably they'll be analyzing the written comments at a later date. But they included us, and a lot of other orientations, and gender options as well.

It's not a perfect survey by any means, and they've got a disclaimer explaining why on page 4. Here's part of it:

1) Non‐random sample
A common problem with researching homeschoolers is that there is no central register from which to draw a
random sample. Because of this, the respondent pool—recruited through friend networks—may be overrepresentative
of certain communities. For instance, the survey originated in the homeschool abuse survivor
community; this may lead to an over‐representation of homeschool alumni who reported child abuse. There
was also a higher than expected response from asexual homeschool alumni
and those in California and Texas.
Three times as many women took the survey as men; it is unclear why this might be. Furthermore, as the
survey was online, there may have been an under‐representation of homeschool alumni who lack a regular
internet connection—those who lack home computers or regular employment, for example.

Bold added. Sounds like they have some of the same research challenges we do. But, we made it to the disclaimer page!

Link to pdf.

Results from gender question on page 6.

Results from sexual orientation question on page 9.

• Like 1
Vivaldi Ives

I took that survey too! And I was also surprised by that fact that (if I remember right) over 2% of respondents considered themselves asexual. I wonder if the number could even be higher, since asexuality is still relatively unknown and some asexuals therefore identify with other orientations.

• Like 2

More than 1%? I must reconsider my beliefs about self-identified asexuals must be under 1%. It'd be interesting to know how many people would consider identifying as asexual using their relative conception of what asexuality is. Definitions used do alters percentages whether one likes it or not.

HardToComeBy

Agreed that definitions do alter percentages. When I was in my homeschool years, humans were (understood to be) sexual, as a category.