ace rings

chair jockey

chair jockey

Not many people in the general public are aware of what an ace ring means. The most likely thing people are likely to say about it is "Nice ring" or "I like your ring." So in that case do you just say "Thank you" and move on, or do you explain that it's an ace ring? It's kind of a delicate line between affirming your orientation and shoving it in people's face. I'm curious what people think.

I wear an ace ring, and people have said to me that it was a nice ring, but unless they already knew about my asexuality ( I told some of my close friends about it) I did not say more than 'Thank you'. I think this is mainly because I don't feel entirely comfortable about showing my asexuality to the world yet, and so I don't go around just telling people. I seems like I'm shoving it in their faces too much :P

Haha, I told my best friend about it and we got black rings, although mine has some patches of silver on it. I don't explain it unless someone asks.

What's an ace ring? Is it just any black ring or its a ring that actually has some ace representation on it?

Forgive my ignorance >_<

chair jockey

Well, I could be wrong, but, as far as I know, an ace ring is a solid black ring worn on the middle finger of the left hand, and I believe the aromantic one has an ace of spades symbol on it while the romantic one has an ace of hearts. Many people, however, wear stylized ace rings that are different from that.

What's an ace ring? Is it just any black ring or its a ring that actually has some ace representation on it?

Forgive my ignorance >_<

An Ace Ring is a ring that goes on the right hand, middle finger. To symbolize asexuality the colour should be primarily black, such as a hematite ring however it may include other colours. The concept of the ring is very open to debate and use, however the two requirements that are certain for the ring to be considered an 'Ace Ring' and represent asexuality are;

• It must be on the right hand, middle finger
  • It must be primarily black in colour
  • (Grey is acceptable for Greysexuality and Demisexual however there is no consensus on the matter)

My own ring has a black, stainless steel band between two silver bands. I also have 8 miniature diamonds embedded in the black band. As I said before, it just needs to fulfill the main requirements but can be customized and changed as you see fit!

Well, I could be wrong, but, as far as I know, an ace ring is a solid black ring worn on the middle finger of the left hand

No, I think it's worn on the right hand middle finger

Well, I could be wrong, but, as far as I know, an ace ring is a solid black ring worn on the middle finger of the left hand

No, I think it's worn on the right hand middle finger

Definitely the right hand. As the swinger community uses a black ring, but uses any other finger BUT the middle finger of right hand as respect towards us. So, wearing it on another finger? You might get some unwanted attention from couples. Lol.

Where do people get ace rings? Ebay?

Anywhere you can purchase rings. No specific location. There is no specific place to purchase. Ebay certainly does work!

EggplantWitch

I was browsing Etsy the other day for black rings, but most of them were quite fancy (or too tacky) and not what I was really looking for. Hematite rings are good, as they're plain, solid black, cheap and not likely to make your skin go green like silver or silver-plated. (or... my skin, at least). You can get them on Etsy (usually in sets of about 5) or in a variety of other places. Just make sure you know your ring size!

I've actually never had anyone question my ring, even though I've been wearing it regularly for a few months. I'd like to think that I'd explain the meaning if anyone was curious to ask, but since it's never happened there's no guarantee I wouldn't just chicken out and say nothing. I guess it would depend on who it was that was asking about it.

Mine's from eve's addiction (online). It's got a few black ring options.

Oddly enough, I round a really good one at Walmart. People have asked what jewelery store I got it in, and how expensive it was.

But my mother and I are the only ones that know the meaning behind it.

I wear my ring everyday, but nobody really asks about it, aside from the occasional question of where I bought it. Only my close friends know why I wear it and what it means.

Not many comment on it since it's pretty plain, but in the case someone did ask about it I probably wouldn't say much, people can be pretty ignorant and there's a difference between people not liking you because of it and not aknowledging you

When anyone mentions it I tell them what it means. Until I found this site after a bbc news article, I didn't know there was such a thing as asexual, and I thought there was something wrong with me. Also all my friends and family thought there was something wrong with me! Now I take every opportunity to explain asexuality to people, so that hopefully future generations will know it exists, and asexuals won't grow up thinking they are the only one in the world, or messing other people around by trying hard to to be.

Most recently the ring was commented on by a very old friend who I only now see once a year or so. Her response was that she always knew I was asexual, but didn't know the word for it. When we were teenagers I used to try and explain to her how uninterested I was in finding the sort of relationships that most young people seem to want. She and I at the time thought I just had to try harder!

I'd rather be in band.

On occassion, if it is a close friend, I will explain to them what it is, but I often just say thank you. It really depends on how you say it and who you say it to. It's a fine line.

charliemcphee

A lot of people say things like "oh, that's a nice ring, where'd you get it?" but so far only one person has actually recognised it as an ace ring. I think if it was someone I was close to I wouldn't mind explaining it but I probably wouldn't say anything if it was just an acquaintance.

I have never explained it, but then I'm not open about it yet. It's a thing for me.

I wear one and have had many people think I'm married because of it. I simply say "Wrong hand, wrong finger."

Gonna have to get a new one soon because the one I wear now is all scratched up from work.

I got mine off Amazon for, like, two dollars. Basically search "black ring" anywhere and you'll find some good ones!

I've yet to have anyone comment on mine, and I wear one all the time. I think it depends on the person noticing it. I wouldn't bother explaining to some random stranger. But it could open up a conversation with a friend. : )

I got my primary black ring (I have a couple that are silver with black decorations/stones, too) from a local festival at a body jewelry stand. But as others mentioned, you can get one easily online.

I'd heard about the use of a ring - I didn't know about the use by swingers, however. I have a question which I'm going to post here, although perhaps it should have its own thread.

It's this - I work for a charity, and I understand they'll be running a campaign against forced child marriage this spring, and as a motif will be using a black ring. I pointed out to a colleague that the Ace community sometimes uses the same identifier. How would you feel about this? Unwelcome appropriation? Asking for trouble if people latch onto the Ace/swinger connotation?

Opinions?

It depends on which finger the rings are worn in my opinion. The swinger thing may cause minor problems, so they may want to choose a different color. Since it's a good cause, I don't see anything wrong with it being mistakenly linked to us. But again, since black rings are already used by two other groups, it may be best to choose something else, just for the sake of clarity for all our causes.