Any Two-Spirit Individuals on Here?

Ritsuka-kun

If there is already a thread for this, sorry, I was really lazy and didn't look hard enough. But if not, Helllo! I am two-spirit and I'm looking for friends~!

HELLO~~!

Hello, Ritsuka-kun! Welcome to AVEN!

I find two-spirit fascinating. From the descriptions i've read, it appears that two-spirit means being equally male and female. Is this wrong?

Is it meant to mean trans-gendered? Has it come to be used as a term for being gay?

I realize you are looking for other two-spirits, so I hope you don't mind my questions. Thanks!

Hey Thanks for the welcome.

My parents don't really follow Native American traditions, so I had to look up two-spirit on the Internet, so I'm not that much informed. (Sorry). That's why I'm looking for other two-spirit people. But from what I've read, it means a person in the tribe who can do the job of a man and woman by being equally female and male, so they don't need to necessary marry like other men and women in the tribe who need two people to do specific gender jobs. (Does that make sense?) I consider myself both male and female, and have girl days and guys days. And I use both male and female pronouns, but I prefer male ones more. The term is under the trans* umbrella, but I don't consider it related to trans* culture nor do I consider myself under the trans* umbrella. I'm not sure if it's a term for gay people.

So hope that answers all your questions and I hope I helped you some. :D

Welcome to AVEN! I don't identify as two-spirit myself, but I know one amazing individual in real life who is, and I know there are some members around who identify as such. I hope they find this thread :D In any case, you are certainly not alone :)

Hey Thanks for the welcome.

My parents don't really follow Native American traditions, so I had to look up two-spirit on the Internet, so I'm not that much informed. (Sorry). That's why I'm looking for other two-spirit people. But from what I've read, it means a person in the tribe who can do the job of a man and woman by being equally female and male, so they don't need to necessary marry like other men and women in the tribe who need two people to do specific gender jobs. (Does that make sense?) I consider myself both male and female, and have girl days and guys days. And I use both male and female pronouns, but I prefer male ones more. The term is under the trans* umbrella, but I don't consider it related to trans* culture nor do I consider myself under the trans* umbrella. I'm not sure if it's a term for gay people.

So hope that answers all your questions and I hope I helped you some. :D

Thanks!

I love the idea of embodying both male and female. Self-sufficiency, literally! Also, it doesn't seem to have a sexual connotation. Fantastic!

deleted_account

Not trying to police anyone's identity on here, but it's my understanding that two-spirit is specifically for members of Native tribes, not white people, and to take on a tribal identity when you're not Native is a bit entitled and racist.

I don't personally identify as two-spirit/bi-gender (to my understanding it's the same thing but two-spirit is used by Native Americans) because I've read that two-spirit/bi-gender people switch between two genders while I have only one gender which doesn't change but it's half-man, half-woman. (I feel like 51% a man and 49% a woman) I'm not sure what label that is. But it's still very similar, right?

Certified Cake Decorator

Light, i believe what you are describing is Androgyne. Since you are both all the time?

Is that the term? I doubt my brain!!!!

1. Heart: Thanks :D

2. Graceful Spinster: I'm not white. (I guess my picture confused you?) I'm Caribbean, African American, and Native American. Like I said, my parents (more specifically, my mother who is half African American and half Native American) just don't practice any Native American culture.

3. Light02: I'm not really sure. I'm don't think I'm that informed. Sorry.

I don't personally identify as two-spirit/bi-gender (to my understanding it's the same thing but two-spirit is used by Native Americans) because I've read that two-spirit/bi-gender people switch between two genders while I have only one gender which doesn't change but it's half-man, half-woman. (I feel like 51% a man and 49% a woman) I'm not sure what label that is. But it's still very similar, right?

I'll back Cake Decorater in that you should check out the definition of andrgyne. What you described sounds almost exactly like it :)

Also, I have a question for Ritsuka-kun: do you feel more like both genders at once all the time (more like androgynous), or like you "switch" between the two (more like bigender)? I am only curious, so you don't have to answer, and I'm certainly not suggesting you change your label. Just wondering :)

• 1 month later...

Bump? Can I do that?

Anyway, I'm still looking for friends! <3

House of Chimeras

I identify as being mixed gendered and have Cherokee heritage (among others). I've always been really interested in the topic of two-spirited people as well. However the word has a lot of cultural importance beyond simply gender identity / gender expression importance, so I've never personally used the term myself.

I once came across a book at a used book store written by several transgender and/or genderqueer people of Native American heritage who were reclaiming the term two-spirit; however I didn't buy it due being with my bother who was not to at the time. So maybe if you are able, see if you can find some books on the topic. They might be useful to you.

I think a lot of non-binary identities are basically synonyms - they have somewhat different connotations, but they are close enough to often be able to be used interchangeably. Like "quiet" and "silent." Often multiple terms can apply to an individual's experience - I personally consider myself agender but I do think I'm close to bigender and genderfluid.

So it strikes me that "two-spirit" and "bigender" are very similar, and I'm curious what people think the difference is. Is the only difference that "bigender" is linked to modern western culture and "two-spirit" is Native American? Also, how does "two-spirit" make sense for people living in America today, since it seems so tied to a culture that's been largely overwritten - does the word mean something else now than it did back in the day?

I identify as being mixed gendered and have Cherokee heritage (among others). I've always been really interested in the topic of two-spirited people as well. However the word has a lot of cultural importance beyond simply gender identity / gender expression importance, so I've never personally used the term myself.

I once came across a book at a used book store written by several transgender and/or genderqueer people of Native American heritage who were reclaiming the term two-spirit; however I didn't buy it due being with my bother who was not to at the time. So maybe if you are able, see if you can find some books on the topic. They might be useful to you.

Do you remember the title, or anything that might help me look it up? I'm curious :)

House of Chimeras

Do you remember the title, or anything that might help me look it up? I'm curious :)

We think the book we came across was Two-Spirit People: Native American Gender Identity, Sexuality, and Spirituality by Sue-Ellen Jacobs, but we're not sure. Least that is one book we found on Amazon about two-spirit people which seemed the most likely candidate for the book once seen at the used bookstore.

Thanks! I'll put it on my to-do list to check it out :D

• 1 year later...

Idk if you're still looking, but I'm pretty sure I'm Two-Spirit and would love somebody who knows more about it to talk to! I've studied up on it pretty hard, and I'm of Native descent, so I'm pretty sure... Still, I want to talk to someone else who is before I absolute anything. So... If you're still around, I'm here!

I'm not two spirit, but I'm something pretty similar :D I'm part native Hawaiian, so I would consider myself mahū, which is the Hawaiian term for bigender/genderfluid. Nice to meet ya!

• 6 months later...
LuckofTheChuck
On 1/2/2015 at 10:44 AM, Ritsuka-kun said:

If there is already a thread for this, sorry, I was really lazy and didn't look hard enough. But if not, Helllo! I am two-spirit and I'm looking for friends~!

HELLO~~!

I think I'm two-spirit, as I have some blood in me. (A relative)

Archived