Make up and asexual girls

Jemima

I want to know if asexual girls tend to wear make up as much as non-asexual girls. Just been having a debate with someone who says that sexual people wear make up more often (though it isn't all down to dating or because they're going out with their guys).

I wear make up all the time and wear it for work and also just to look good when not at work. For me, it's 'a habit just like brushing teeth. I feel I can't go out of the house without looking my best.

Any other asexual girls feel like that?

I haven't used make up in years. But if it's part of your "look", I don't see what that has to do with being asexual or not.

I wear makeup because I like to. It's fun to me to put it on and I like how it looks. Maybe a difference between me and allosexuals is possibly that I don't care if I'm seen in public without makeup if I don't feel like putting any on. I do it for myself. But I think that makeup is mostly a cultural thing more than anything. And I've heard many straight guys complain that girls don't need to wear makeup so who knows if it's actually attracting them xD

(A)rrogant Avian

I don't wear make up, but it's not because I am asexual, I simply don't wear it because I don't want to have weird powdery stuff on my face, I touch my face way too much to wear make up. :P

A Perfect Square

I can understand the sentiment, but from an outsider's perspective. I never wear make-up except on very special occasions. By 'special occasion', I usually mean that my mother has practically pinned me to the ground and forced me to wear it, but maybe once in a while I will put some eyeshadow and eyeliner on if I feel particularly patient or coordinated.

You see, I know that wearing makeup does make me feel better. I reckon if I had co-ordination skills I would definitely be more willing to experiment, but since 9/10 of my attempts end with me looking like I have been dragged through a hedge backwards, I just don't make the effort any more. I certainly do not feel it has anything to do with me being ace; I just happen to be a klutzy ace who cannot draw a straight line with a ruler, never mind put lipstick on.:P

romantic-woman

i love make up and all types of cosmetics, this has nothing to do with me being ace. It is so annoying that many sexuals tend to think that many of us wear make up or red lipstick in order to attract guys. That is not true. I also like to look ok first to myself so even if noone was around it is a way to feel nice so why not?

I absolutely refused to wear makeup in my teens and have never changed. I don't like the way it feels on my skin ("then you're wearing the wrong kind" one person told me), I don't like the idea of drawing attention to myself, which makeup would do, and it's money I'd rather spend on books which last a lot longer than that tube of eyeliner.

I love wearing make up, it's fun to experiment with and always gives me a little confidence boost.

I don't mind being seen without it though. ^_^

My best allosexual friend says she wears makeup solely because SHE wants to look good, not to attract guys (or girls as she's pansexual).

I figured that's why most women would wear makeup --- because they wanted to look good for themselves.

I can't leave the house without wearing makeup, even if it's just a touch of eyebrow liner (can't neglect dem brows).

It's not even to attract others, it's just to give a little boost to self-confidence. It's kinda like why some people exercise and eat healthy - not to get a good body to attract others, but to develop and maintain a good body image.

I personally hate wearing makeup and pretty much never wear it. But that doesn't mean that other asexual girls can't wear makeup. Wearing makeup is a personal choice that doesn't necessarily have anything to do with sexuality.

I hate how makeup feels and smells. I only use a tiny bit when I have really bad acne- if I'm less likely to see them, I'm less likely to scratch them.

I think most of my female friends don't wear makeup as well, and none of them is asexual, so I'm not sure that means anything

Interesting topic.

As of make up and sexual girls, what I think is that since makeup was primarily invented and widely used as the 'seducer' in the courtship process, it may subconsciously be as tool used by sexual females. As of asexuals, it is just a matter of liking, convenience and health condition I think. I personally do not think sexuals can do the courtship thing without makeup and fashion, for starters.

Skippy Squirrel

When you say "wear make-up", do you mean "wear make-up beyond the amount you wear to make it look like you're not wearing any make-up" or do you mean "wear any make-up at all"?

Sleepy Skeleton

I don't wear makeup. I really don't like it.

Every time I try it, I either look like I put way too much on or I didn't put on any at all.

Eyeliner ends up smearing and getting in my eyes.

Mascara is just weird. I just don't see how eyelashes can be attractive. It's just hair around your eyes! Putting black stuff on them makes me squick. :P

Lipstick makes me uncomfortable. I dislike having things on my lips. I don't even like chapstick.

I guess I'm just really picky. Makeup would make me look better, but I lack both the patience and the skill to apply it well.

Well, even if a person doesn't follow gender stereotypes, they might decide to wear makeup(although I don't personally get the point, I think a person just looks their best without it). The more interesting question would be whether asexual women care about gender stereotypes and peer pressure like sexual women generally do.

I don't wear makeup but I'm cool if others like to wear it.

Sometimes I put some stuff on my eyes (you know, eyeshadow, eyeliner or mascara), but I always make sure that it doesn't look like a war or corpse paint. Basically, if I feel like wearing make-up then I wear it, but if I don't I simply don't care.

Sometimes I use a little mascara and bb cream if I have some acne. I don't like to wear make-up though, it doesn't feel right on my skin.

Hmmm.

I've asked the same questions to my non-asexual girl friends and all of them wear make up and so maybe there is a difference. But it's only a small sample and they're not a diverse group of people as people who've replied here.

I agree with those who've said they love wearing make up, like xSkylar, and that it's not necessarily to please others. I just love looking good.

deem0 - I love to experiment as well ! I love the beauty counters in some department stores in London where they allow you to sample. Great fun! :)

I don't wear make up for a lot of personal reasons, which mostly amount to the fear that I might end up hating what I look like naturally if I start thinking I look "better" with it on. I'd rather have strangers think I'm sickly-looking and unkempt than be unhappy in my own skin.

littlepersonparadox

wearing makeup is certainly a personal preference. I don't and never have because i don't like bothering with all that extra stuff. Even when i didn't know I was genderqueer. Personally i don't care if someone can see i have zits. It's not like everyone else my age wasn't getting them.

I know allosexual girls who wear it just for the heck of it. Then there are others who don't wear it. It is certaily does have a association with trying to find a partner though.

I used to wear a lot of make-up, meaning a lot of eye shadow and such. I've since cut back because I noticed I actually think I look better with bare eyes, more natural and youthful looking. All I do now is some foundation to smooth out blotchy skin and putting a little eye liner on to make my eyes softer, it looks like barely anything. I don't do it to look sexy at all, in fact, I'm scared of looking sexy out in public as I don't like that type of attention or stares. I just put the little bit on that I do because I think it enhances my skin and eyes to look "pretty". I may be asexual, but I still like to look and feel pretty and beautiful. Being asexual doesn't mean that I don't have any sense of aesthetics.

Interesting topic.

As of make up and sexual girls, what I think is that since makeup was primarily invented and widely used as the 'seducer' in the courtship process, it may subconsciously be as tool used by sexual females. As of asexuals, it is just a matter of liking, convenience and health condition I think. I personally do not think sexuals can do the courtship thing without makeup and fashion, for starters.

Oh dear, I'm sexual, I don't wear make-up and I can definitely do the courtship thing.

I mainly just put eyeliner and mascara on. I've never got why some people think that if you wear makeup you're trying to impress someone. It just seems weird to me that somebody would take their time every morning to try to get one specific person's attention.

5_♦♣

I don't wear makeup because I don't need it. I know that sounds vain, but I guess I was blessed with good genes.

I don't wear makeup because I don't need it. I know that sounds vain, but I guess I was blessed with good genes.

Vanity is next to godliness.

I started wearing concealer and foundation when I was about 14 because none of the things I used on my skin were working on it but I didn't think it was bad enough to warrant going to the doctor, it just made me miserable, so I covered it up, and I still wear it even though my skin's a lot better. I also have a really bad habit of picking at my skin so if I can't see it then I'm less likely to, and I also touch my face less when I have make-up on so that helps stop me doing it as well. And I put on eyeliner and lipstick sometimes if I'm going out because it's fun and I love red lipstick, it's definitely not an 'attracting the opposite sex' thing, because I've been reliably informed that guys hate it because apparently we look like clowns. Which I don't believe is true but whatever. I just want to look like I'm from the 50's sometimes.

I don't wear makeup. I really don't like it.

Every time I try it, I either look like I put way too much on or I didn't put on any at all.

Eyeliner ends up smearing and getting in my eyes.

Mascara is just weird. I just don't see how eyelashes can be attractive. It's just hair around your eyes! Putting black stuff on them makes me squick. :P

Lipstick makes me uncomfortable. I dislike having things on my lips. I don't even like chapstick.

I guess I'm just really picky. Makeup would make me look better, but I lack both the patience and the skill to apply it well.

Eyelashes are so pretty though. I don't know, they just frame your eyes nicely. Everyone in my family has long eyelashes so I've kinda grown up noticing it in other people. We're a weird lot. My cousin has a real talent for fluttering hers, I have no idea how. I rarely wear mascara though because it makes my eyes itchy.

Archived