ace family members

QueenAnastasiaFul

QueenAnastasiaFul

my 12 year old little sister is also asexual and i was was wanting to ask it normal for two sisters to be asexual?

This is probably going to sound rude and I'll be jumped on for asking, so I'll go ahead and apologise now. But if she's 12, then how does she know for sure? She may just not be at the developmental stage where she is ready for that kind of thing. I have a libido and didn't start becoming interested in guys until I was about 14.

That being said, there is a mother/daughter on here. I don't think it's usual for family members to both be ace, as it can't be genetic, or else everyone in the world would either be sexual or asexual. Maybe your sister will become interested in someone as she ages, but if she doesn't, then she has you to show her the ropes :)

I suspect my 23-year-old sister is asexual and aromantic as well, but no official word from her as of yet. I'm not out to my family so the ace discussion has never been brought up. My sister and I, however, have always expressed/implied that we aren't interested in getting into relationships of any kind.

Wow! It seems to me or children this days develop and mature faster? At 12 I was thinking only at cartoons and how to spend more time in the street with my friends, nevertheless to say that at 14 I was still playing with dolls and plushes. I only discovered I'm ace at 19. I don't imply that she doesn't know for sure, I heard about brothers who are both asexual, but I think is very rare.

12 sounds somewhat early to know anything at all, but I have no clue at what ages people generally start figuring out their orientation, don't mind me. Anyway it's quite possible two siblings could both be ace, though it's probably more unlikely to happen too often in a single family. A family member of mine who is just a couple of years older than me, could quite easily be an aromantic ace as well, but had no notion of asexuality being an actual orientation before. I told them about me figuring out being ace just recently and it was a nice talk ^_^

When I was 12 there were definite signs that I was ace, I didn't know at the time, but I can see that quite clearly in retrospect, so for those above who think 12 is too early to know, I would say it is possible and it depends on one's awareness of the concept sexuality at that age.

I don't have any asexual family members. In fact my family are incredibly Sexual, they joke about sex openly all the time.

romantic-woman

Not my closer members of my family but some aunts and 1 cousin act like an ace, and i think they are aro cause they never wanted to be in a relationship and they never wanted anyone to share feelings etc

They are happy on their own.

My closest members are sexuals a lot that is why they can't understand me much XD

Beyourownspotlight

This is probably going to sound rude and I'll be jumped on for asking, so I'll go ahead and apologise now. But if she's 12, then how does she know for sure? She may just not be at the developmental stage where she is ready for that kind of thing. I have a libido and didn't start becoming interested in guys until I was about 14.

That being said, there is a mother/daughter on here. I don't think it's usual for family members to both be ace, as it can't be genetic, or else everyone in the world would either be sexual or asexual. Maybe your sister will become interested in someone as she ages, but if she doesn't, then she has you to show her the ropes :)

My wee cousin just turned 12, and she has lots of boy and girl friends, but she's not interested in boys romantically yet (and sure as hell better not be into them sexually or I'm kicking her wee monkey butt ---not really I totally encourage safe curiosity I'm just very protective of her and I'm rambling), but she sees relationships around her all the time, and she's not grossed out by them? I just think she isn't at that stage herself yet.

Buut in saying that, she has a wee pal who's openly gay, I think he's in the same year as her (first year) but at a different school. And honestly, if kids want to identify as something, they really should be supported, it's important not to just wave something off 'because they're just a kid' because that's incredibly damaging to them, but at the same time, I think, we should explain to them if something changes that's okay too, that it's okay to mislabel yourself, or change as they grow, because I'm sure some kid has come out at an early age as something, then as they've grown realised that doesn't fit anymore.

The Great WTF

The average 12 year old hasn't reached full sexual maturity. When I was 12 I hadn't even gotten my first period yet, nevermind developed a solid understand of my own sexuality. o.O I'd hesitate to start using any sexuality label at such a young age simply because she might trap herself in the label. When you develop a very strong belief about what you are while you are young, only to suddenly have puberty smack you in the face with a new change later, it can be extremely upsetting.

Granted, on some level I was aware that I was "off" compared to my friends at that age, all of whom were getting crushes and starting to look at other people in a more sexual way, but I wasn't the only one like that at that age. It wasn't until I was about 17 that I realized I really was the only one left who still felt that way.

More on topic, it's entirely possible to find two asexuals in the same family. My mother's ace, pretty sure one of my great aunts was, but I have 12 older siblings who are most certainly not asexual.

Age doesn't really matter, cause it would mean that everyone works the same during each step of life. And that's not true.

Not everyone is neutral. I mean I doubt that most heterosexual people considered the possibility of homosexuality as a sexual orientation.

Since my childhood I am personally repulsed by heterosexuality and homosexuality, so it is all about one's personal feelings.

But there is no particular legitimate age to reach in order to identify with whatever you want. Once again, it is personal.

I have a cousin on my mom's side who I suspect is ace. But he hasn't said and I haven't ask. The only reason I think he might be is because he ends up breaking up with is girlfriends because they are always pressuring him for sex. And my aunt on my dad's side has never married and always mentions how much she loves not dealing with relationships. So she might be an aro-ace. Again, I'm just guessing so it may not be true.

JustanotherTobigirl

I have an inkling that my biological mother may be demisexual, while I think I'm just a romantic asexual (I've never actually had true romantic feelings, though I had small crushes growing up. Still, I love the idea of a romantic relationship, but I've been to scared to try one. Haven't met many asexuals, and I wouldn't date a sexual person given I'm sex repulsed and would feel like I'm never enough for them). I've talked to her a bit about my own asexuality, and she described her past relationships to sound just like a demisexual, though she has called herself heterosexual. She had never even heard of any sort of asexuality before this though. (I grew up with my father, and rarely did, or do, so my biological mother.)

Both of my Grandparents on my mothers side are Asexual (Although they don't identify as such, particularly because of being too old) because they happily boast only having sex three times in their entire 62 year marriage! One for each child! In addition to other Ace-like comments such as "Never really liked how your grandfather looked, or anyone else for that matter" and "I was never like those damn kids, the sexual revolution is overhyped". So I have a strong suspicion they are!

I had a great-aunt who I now suspect was asexual, although the term was unknown at the time. She was born in the 1890s and never married or had any romantic interest that anyone in my family was ever aware of. She put all her energy into a long and successful career as a schoolteacher, and later on, into politics. She was something of the "iron lady" sort and had the old style regal manner, but was always kind to me even though I was in awe of her. I've since read some of the letters she sent to my father when he was young (all meticulously typed), and they show a very sharp mind and a biting wit. I'm sure she would disagree intensely with me on a lot of views I hold now, but the debate would be memorable!