These are my thoughts as I go through the article;
"Lack of sexual attraction towards anyone or anything." Uh, where to the gain the authority to tack those last two words on? So, I suppose none of us watch pornography then, right?
Also, as the aim of this non-self identification scale is to allow access for researchers to more asexual people than only the community of self identified people, I suppose they know how to break the news to people that they are asexual? Sorry, researchers need to be more pragmatic.
Yeah, they got rid of all distress related items. Good job. Acknowledged that masturbation doesn't seem to contribute the way they thought (interstingly, asexuals had a higher mean on this than sexuals). Religion didn't load on it. Got rid of romance categories as well.
Eh, here's what you're all probably interested in; their twelve items are as follows (using a Likert scale):
1. I expereince sexual attraction toward other people
2. I lack interest in sexual activity
3. I don't feel that I fit the conventional categories of sexual orientation suchas hetrosexual, homosexual (gay or lesbian), or bisexual
4. The thought of sexual activity repulses me
5.I find myself experiencing sexual attraction toward another person
6. I am confused by how much interest and time other people put into sexual relationships
7. The term "nonsexual" would be an accurate description of my sexual activity
8. I would be content if I never had sex again
9. I would be revlieved if I was told that I never had to engage in any sort of sexual activity again
10. I go to great lengths to avoid situations in which sex might be expected of me
11. My ideal relationship would not invlve sexual activity
12. Sex has no place in my life
All in all, excpet for a slight confusion over the fact that asexuals can be sex positive, and that they might actually be lowering the scores of self aware asexuals with the wording of some of their questions, they do an awesome job. That is,10 has never came up for me, so I'd be forced to answer neutrally. More importantly, 6 manages to twist around my understanding that for other people, romance and sex go hand in hand. If anyone wants the pdf pm me your email. (My reasoning is that if they used participant from AVEN, we're all allowed to view their results.)