Are there any cis women that bind?

socks15

I was born a girl, I feel like a girl, and for the most part, I love my body.

However, I hate having boobs. They make me incredibly uncomfortable.

They're pretty small (I'm like a 30A) but most days, that part of being a woman doesn't feel natural or right to me at all. As a result, I mostly wear layers and baggy t-shirts to hide them. I feel like they don't belong on my body.

I'm going to college next year, and when I do, I want to buy a binder. Not necessarily to wear in public (I feel like that would create issues... maybe one day?), but at home I think I would just like to be able to walk around and feel a little more natural.

Is this normal? Are there any other cis women that feel like this?

If I don't want this female part of my body, does that mean I'm something other than cis?

Supracoracoideus

I totally get that...I still identify as cis female, but I'm very uncomfortable with this! It just feels so wrong to me (and I'm 21...hoped I'd get used to it by now Dx). However, since I have some dysphoria with other secondary sex characteristics, I am also confused about that this says about me. I really want to try binding as well, but I know it would cause problems, like making my family worry about me (since I still live at home, they'd certainly know). If you have the chance to try it in college, I think you should. =)

Ugh thank you I'm so glad somebody feels the same way

I'm waiting until I'm in college for the same reason, my family would go nuts.

I'm cis-female, and even though I've never tried binding, I can relate to disliking my breasts. I guess my opinion of my boobs is bordering on dysphoric- I hate my breasts because they are incredibly annoying and I am constantly wish they were smaller or even nonexistent.

If you think binding might make you more comfortable, them I say go for it! It doesn't necessarily mean you aren't female, you're just a woman who wants a flatter chest :)

Thank you so much! This has been so helpful. I just joined AVEN and I already feel so much more relaxed about my asexuality and gender. Everyone has been so nice and wise and friendly :')

littlepersonparadox

here's the thing gender and gender expression are two different things. Gender is a emotional state about how you veiw yourself ( i feel female etc.) and how you want others to see you in terms of gender. gender expression however being how you want your body to be like and how you dress can intersect and affect one another but, the two can and (in my experience with talking about this kinda stuff with other people) usually do exist as two different things. For example when i bind in order to feel normal it's because i want people to see me as male and when i where my binder it's easier for other people to call me sir etc and in turn makes me feel normal. (that and i have dysphoria about my breasts too) However binding because you want your breasts gone for the sake of getting rid of breasts doesn't intersect with you gender at all. I know of trans* people who haven't wanted to edit or change their body's at all and still identify and want to be treated etc. as the gender that they are.

whiteblankpage

Well hello I think we are literally the same person! :D

I totally feel you, full circle. I don't bind in the traditional sense (like with a real binder) but I always wear a tight sports bra that offers the most compression without sacrificing comfort, and usually a loose shirt.

On the other end of the spectrum, I think if I was cismale,I would not like having a scrotum just as much as I don't like having breasts. I just really would rather have a total gender neutral body, but one gender mentally.

Some days I seriously consider getting a possible surgery to remove my breasts totally, but that would be in the far future. ( I am very young, and the possibility of having children when I'm in my late twenties is a very real possibility. I mean hey, you never know! I don't want to sacrifice any future health benefits for my possible future children just to make me feel better today). Also there is the fact that thats is a really extreme measure to take!

I feel the same way! I don't want any surgery because who knows, maybe I'll get used to them, and I want kids too.

I also used to be terrified of my boobs touching someone if we hugged, esp my boobs touching someone else's boobs. I have slowly gotten over this but I still don't like people acknowledging them.

This thread has been moved from Intersectionality to Gender Discussion.

Qutenkuddly,

Intersectionality Moderator

I do but only when I cosplay since they get in the way (they are fairly big for my height) and they make vests look awkward. Honestly, there are some days where I love my boobs and others where I feel like they get in the way and make some of my shirts look weird.

I can relate. I'm cis female and I consider myself female. I just never liked having boobs. These days I don't hate them as much as I used to either, but I do like the flat chested look a lot better. I always wanted to bind, but I didn't know binders existed until recently, so I never actually tried them. If you're small chested, a sports bra or two should be able to do the job relatively well, but maybe a binder would work better.

I can understand what everyone is saying!
hen I was in high school I was very scrawny and considered "tall" (~5"7) for a female, I did theater and often got cast as a male due to lack tehre of, so I was very content with small boobs as I naturally dressed more gender neutral or more masculine bar the occasional corset, and I was often mistaken for being a feminine boy (or occasionally les, as on a close look my hips always gave me away no matter what style.
I hit uni and slowly started to put on weight and started to actually look like a girl, plus my boobs went up a size or two and I'd try to hide their prominence without binding them as I didn't want to cause any damage, but they always get in the way and I hate them unless I am purposefully dressing up to show them off, it's been only in the last year or so that I more content with showing their existence...
Maybe its the whole, I've been single awhile and sub consciously know boobs attract guys especially when your shape is "curvey" and not "thin" ?
But, I know for sure, if I was thin again, I would go back to trying to hide them as I felt more comfortable in my own body when I looked like a fem guy even though I am female, feel female, and like guys, there's a just a weird thing where I'd rather look slightly more masculine, I dunno why.. (Though on a side note I've noticed I prefer fem looking guys... maybe it's all related?)

I also feel female but don't like boobs. Mine are fortunately so small that most of the time you can't even tell they are there. I used to wear a sports bra a lot, but now I just try to avoid low-cut shirts.

You might have a type of Body Dysmorphic Disorder.

I want to get a breast reduction surgery as I have large breasts and I always always have trouble trying to find a bra that will work and feel good. Also, many dresses and shirts that I really want to have don't fit because the bust is so small it crushes my boobs into a weird square shape.

I'd like to reduce to a b cup. But that costs money that I do not have.

Please don't bind. it's very unhealthy for your chest and is linked to health problems.

Use a Minimizer Bra instead. I have one and it's really nice.

Binding doesn't have to be bad for your health, if you follow all the directions and do so safely. Of course, there are ways it can be detrimental, if you wear the binder for too long or if it is too small, or if you have a health condition that might make it hard to breath etc. But it can also be perfectly safe if you take it easy and get advice before starting :)

Yay! So glad I'm not the only one. I hate having boobs as well. Thankfully they're small (hope it's not because I'm young).

Gender and physical appearance though they can be related usually dont have to be. You do not need breast to be female or a penis to be male or visa versa <3 do what makes you happy! i love binding I have a tank binder I need to get a just breast one (i have d boobs ugh)

• 2 weeks later...

Today I tried putting on multiple sports bras. It made my chest a LOT flatter, and I just felt a lot better, but it was a little harder to breathe. Is this method safe?

I'm 17 so I live with my parents, and I'm afraid that if I buy one or make one that they'll find it, so that's out of the option.

im cis-female and i'd like a binder to wear out and about. and i luckily don't have dysphoria either. every once in a while i think 'maybe i a some kind of non-binary?' so i look it up, and start reading the experiences of nb folks and im like nope. lol im just a girl that likes to cross dress :y im so glad thats socially acceptable! i dont make "outfits" often but i love when i can pull off all kinds of looks. i want to get fitted for a mans suit one day and look dapper as all heck

• 1 year later...
iRobbedUrLulz

I'm a trans girl and I feel the same way. I was suicidally dysphoric before HRT so the fact that my breasts make me feel uncomfortable (albeit very rarely) struck me as bizarre. It's comforting to see that this is somewhat normal among cis people, too.

iRobbedUrLulz

I don't actually bind, though. The discomfort I feel isn't really common or severe enough for me to bother doing anything about it.

EmotionalAndroid

I am cis-female and while I am incredibly flat-chested, I still feel uncomfortable with what I have. I do occasionally wear sports bras as an attempt to flatten myself even more, but I have never actually worn a real binder. I sometimes wish I could, though. I feel best on days when I look flat as a board.

I'd imagine that sports bras are probably safer than binders? I mean, women wear them on a day-to-day basis and move around a lot. I suppose as long as they aren't so tight that they restrict your breathing, it's fine.

My bi friend did it while she was in her lesbian phase a few years ago (and I didn't really know what binding even was at the time).

Disclaimer- My reference to it being a "phase" was distinctly true for this individual, not me being disrespectful. They've been engaged to a guy for 3 years now.

I am cis-female and while I am incredibly flat-chested, I still feel uncomfortable with what I have. I do occasionally wear sports bras as an attempt to flatten myself even more, but I have never actually worn a real binder. I sometimes wish I could, though. I feel best on days when I look flat as a board.

I'd imagine that sports bras are probably safer than binders? I mean, women wear them on a day-to-day basis and move around a lot. I suppose as long as they aren't so tight that they restrict your breathing, it's fine.

I'm not cis, but I figured that I could chime in on the topic.

I use compression sports bras in lieu of binding (even if I hate calling them "bras"), but I'm also small enough to get away with it. I didn't want to risk anything that could restrict breathing because I am often at my university 12+ hours a day and actively moving a fair amount of that time because I study percussion. It's harder to find sports bras that bind well, but once I found ones that worked, I bought a ton of them for way less than what a binder would cost. I would love to bind, but I don't think it'd be sustainable for me, and I don't want to be cursed with the knowledge of how much flatter I could get with a proper binder, because then I wouldn't be satisfied with anything less.

I still got some back pain when I first started wearing them, and I sometimes notice that they feel a little tight, but there's no chafing or breathing issues to worry about. The one major downside I see to sports bras as opposed to binders is that cotton clings to cotton, so t-shirts in particular will sit very differently when you wear cotton sports bras as opposed to the synthetic materials used for binders.

(I frankly can't wait until I can just get top surgery and never have to deal with this again.)

here's the thing gender and gender expression are two different things. Gender is a emotional state about how you veiw yourself ( i feel female etc.) and how you want others to see you in terms of gender. gender expression however being how you want your body to be like and how you dress can intersect and affect one another but, the two can and (in my experience with talking about this kinda stuff with other people) usually do exist as two different things. For example when i bind in order to feel normal it's because i want people to see me as male and when i where my binder it's easier for other people to call me sir etc and in turn makes me feel normal. (that and i have dysphoria about my breasts too) However binding because you want your breasts gone for the sake of getting rid of breasts doesn't intersect with you gender at all. I know of trans* people who haven't wanted to edit or change their body's at all and still identify and want to be treated etc. as the gender that they are.

I've been thinking about this a lot lately, so this is very interesting, good to read :)

I'm glad I found this thread.

im cis-female and i'd like a binder to wear out and about. and i luckily don't have dysphoria either. every once in a while i think 'maybe i a some kind of non-binary?' so i look it up, and start reading the experiences of nb folks and im like nope. lol im just a girl that likes to cross dress :y im so glad thats socially acceptable! i dont make "outfits" often but i love when i can pull off all kinds of looks. i want to get fitted for a mans suit one day and look dapper as all heck

Me too! (agree on most parts) have been having some doubts you could say, but really am definitely female who just happens to like wearing men's clothes sometimes, I guess some days I'd really like to know what it's like, and look like one, just try it for the day, I guess it's mostly a style thing for me...

That sounds awesome! I'd love to do that as well!

• 1 month later...

I'm questioning my gender but at one point I was a cis girl. I googled this topic and was happy when I found an AVEN forum about it! So sometimes I wonder if I am partially a girl, but then I think no that can't be the case because I prefer a binder (I use gc2b ones) over a bra and just like a flat chest in general. But if I know that there are girls who bind, then that helps me try to figure out my gender, so thanks for commenting on this topic. :)

I haven't tried it yet,but I think about it alot lately. For me it really doesn't matter either way, but I think I would be happier with a flat chest most days.

A couple years ago I still thought I had to be a cisfemale and I wanted to bind but I don't identify that way anymore so in my case it did turn out to be linked to gender dysphoria. That said, I agree with what others have said that just because you prefer looking a certain way that might not align with your gender that doesn't necessarily mean you must be something else, and I have a friend who is cisfemale but for a long time disliked her breasts and didn't feel like they were a part of her body she needed or wanted.

I heard about one cis female who got top surgery because she hated her breasts so much. If it makes you feel better and you bind safely, I say go for it. :)

Archived