Platonic Attraction

Okay, so one reason why it took me until I was eighteen to figure out I was Aro Ace is that I'd had two instances of platonic attraction, which I'd conflated with romantic attraction. Well, that's what I would say if I knew much about platonic attraction! My understanding of it is that you really really want to be friends with someone, and hug them and give them with cookies and just hang out with them. Is this actually a thing, or am I just a weirdo?

hdfskjfsdshdsajfhaksd

It's totally a thing! I experience it too. In fact, I've got the biggest platonic crush on this girl that goes to my school right now. It's weird cause I want to be in a relationship thing with her, but I don't have a crush on her at all. If that makes sense?

LOL, so many questions on the internet end with "or am I just a weirdo?" I always answer, "It's possible that you're a weirdo like lots of people, but the thing you're asking about isn't one of the things that make you weird." Very close and affectionate and caring (and asexual) friendships exist. Enjoy them, with cookies.

Yup, your either experiencing a squish; platonic crush, or a queerplatonic crush (google queerplatonic).

I am glad it's a thing. I saw other talk about it on here elsewhere, and it is super great that a lot of people think being in this kind of relationship is pretty awesome. For awhile, I thought about some kind of relationship along these lines but never knew a bunch of people desire the same kinds of things!

It's totally a thing! I experience it too. In fact, I've got the biggest platonic crush on this girl that goes to my school right now. It's weird cause I want to be in a relationship thing with her, but I don't have a crush on her at all. If that makes sense?

I know that feeling, been puzzling me too. Also, I love your icon. Anyway, I don't think its that weird. I mean...queerplatonic relationships are a thing, so unless you mean you want a romantic relationship without having a crush which isn't weird either but a bit more problematic, doesn't seem weird to me. Secondary random thought, are they QPRs if they're heteroplatonic? Hm.

I think I mix up plantonic attraction with having a crush on someone all the time...I used to be plantonically attracted to one of my best friends..and I thought maybe I was romantically attracted to him..then we went out and I found out that I just wanted to be really good friends...Happened to me a lot until I realized that I just want to be friends with everyone! haha

Spectre/Ex/Machina

I think it's normal, I experience both Squishing and Crushing. Im open to what I call Platonamory and Romantic Love. It definitely sounds like you've got a friend crush thing going on.

Yup, your either experiencing a squish; platonic crush, or a queerplatonic crush (google queerplatonic).

Or, y'know, just really wanting to be friends with someone. (But those terms are used as well, apparently.)

well, yes, but i did include that; that's what a squish is

I definitely get this

Sweet! I think it's been going on since I was little (I vaguely remember really really wanting to play with this one boy in the second grade, and thinking it was a crush). I've had platonic attraction to guys and girls and people in between, and these days has been accompanied with "goodness, this person is so dang cute I want to hug you and play videogames." But cute personality more than physically? (My concept of physical attractiveness has been cobbled together by physical commonalities I've noticed between celebrities) Does that complicate things, or is it still a squish or platonic attraction or whatever it's called?

Yah, its still called a squish, and platonic attraction is a layman's term better used on the uninformed/public. It can still be used here, but most ppl here know what a squish is and its quicker to type. Btw, fixation on someone's looks is called aesthetic attraction. You can experience it with other attractions but it alone is not platonic attraction. Sorry, but we only have nicknames for romantic and platonic attraction atm.

Secondary random thought, are they QPRs if they're heleroplatonic? Hm.

By heteroplatonic, i assume you mean male and female best friends. It depends if either of them feel emotionally or sensually QP or if they are in fact just best friends. But it would probibly come off as QP to other ppl, reguardless.

Yeah as Star Bit said it's a squish. I remember getting squishes on girls as a young teen and freaking out cuz I thought I might have been lesbian.

IDon'tDoNicknames

I also thought I had a crush on a boy ... twice. And both times, the idea totally freaked me out! I didn't want to have a crush on either of the boys and it really upset me because I couldn't understand what was going on or why. Then I read about platonic crushes, or squishes, a couple weeks ago and everything makes so much more sense! I also thought, "I must be a weirdo because my friends tell me I have a crush on this person, but all I want is to talk to him and be good friends." I'm so glad that's a thing with a name! Squish! :D