Is there such a thing as only being sexually attracted to fictional characters?

abbersthenerd

abbersthenerd

I identify as asexual and panromantic, and I've had a lot of crushes on people, real and fictional. However, there are a few fictional characters I think I might be sexually attracted to, as weird as that sounds. I don't know if it's simply because there's no possible way I could ever be with them, so it feels safe, or if I'm mistaking something else for sexual attraction.

I'm not attracted to the actors who play them if there is a movie/TV show based on it; it's nothing to do with real people. A couple examples are: Johanna Mason from The Hunger Games, Eowyn from Lord of the Rings, Draco Malfoy and Sirius Black from Harry Potter, and probably several others. If it's a TV show character, I'm not sexually attracted to the actor, just the character.

I've always been disgusted by the idea of being with a real person sexually, but with a fictional character, it seems less gross and more...appealing.

I think it might be because, with a fictional character, I know they're not real, so I know it's never going to happen, but it's safe to fantasize about, maybe? I'll be reading a book and think that a character is aesthetically attractive purely from the image in my head, so is it just that I'm romantically and aesthetically attracted to them, so I wouldn't mind being with them if they wanted to?

I don't know. Does anyone else think they might be attracted to fictional characters?

butterscotchwm

I think it's possible! People on this website have talked about it before. I think the word for it is Fictosexual.

On occasion, I've wondered if I've felt sexually attracted to fictional characters... But I'm not sure, just like you. For me it's kind of like I wish I could jump into the computer/tv screen and hug them/kiss them. I've felt like that for several characters ever since I was like 9 years old haha! What sucks is I can't tell if it's sexual attraction or just really strong sensual attraction.

Bah. I don't think about it too much, though. After all, it doesn't really affect my life too much, and they're just fantasies ^^

A lot of teenagers go through phrases where they totally fan-girl/boy over their favorite anime characters and come up with all kinds of crazy scenerios (dating, marriage, dramatic scenes, etc...) but tend to "grow out" of them as well by college age.

I'd say it could be real because I am literally obsessed with this one character to the point where I would probably enjoy having sex with him if he were real. :P He's not, of course. But yeah, I see how it could be real. You read about a character and you learn all about them as if it were a real person. You know more about them than you would about someone from school, because you know all the layers of their personality etc. Different types of attraction can come with that, because you're essentially "falling for" a character.

Totally abnormal

Abbersthenerd: I totally agree with you on some of those characters, especially the Harry Potter ones! I don't think I actually would go through with the act of sex were they real but there is something about them, Lucius, Sirius and even Harry Potter but only when he's older. Im 27 so it's not a teen obsession I just feel like I would love to be a best friend to their characters!

ACEchupacabra

I completely understand. There are two or three characters, like Ulquiorra from Bleach or Viral from Gurren Lagann that I can't help squealing over every time they're on the screen. But I'm pretty sure I just want to stare at them or cuddle.

Oh, my God, Draco Malfoy and Sirius Back!!!! :wub:

I think it's called fictosexual. There's nothing abnormal about it at all: sexuals get crushes on fictional characters as well :)