Most interesting place to read?

Q-Limb

Mainly for inspiration, as my school are hosting a competition for the strangest place to read, and I have to get a picture of myself reading in that place. I'm in it to win it!

Also just out of interest, where are some strange and interesting places you've been caught reading? I want to know!

Hmm. Thinking back on my life, the only places I've ever read have been at the library and at home.

One time I was reading while walking down a corridor. But then I walked into a bannister and dropped my book down two flights of stairs :blush:

If you can do so safely, the roof of a building? The more exotic the building you can manage the better.

And if you have access to a green screen, you can do all sorts of interesting places. WIth some stock footage, you could look like you were reading while crossing a highway or something.

Emerald Green

I personally love on top of the shelves/on my wardrobe. I also have a freezer that is big enough to sit on so I read there sometimes too, with cushions of course.

If you can do so safely, the roof of a building? The more exotic the building you can manage the better.

And if you have access to a green screen, you can do all sorts of interesting places. WIth some stock footage, you could look like you were reading while crossing a highway or something.

Yeah, greenscreen dinosaurs into the background or a medieval dungeon.

Have you got any famous landmarks in your area? you could do one of yourself reading in one of them.

I've read upside down hanging from a tree branch (which wasn't safe, I admit)

Squirrel Combat

I've never done this (nor will I ever). Reading butt naked on the top of a construction crane in downtown.

Or reading a fairy fiction during a shoot out between the ISIS and the French Cavalry down at Antarctica and mortar-launching penguins fire at you.

Or reading while riding a unicycle down a railroad grade in the Andes and a train filled with bookworm-ass-kicking ninjas is approaching. :twisted:

Per Aspera Ad Astra

I once read on my horse's back. I took him in a small field so he could eat some grass, and planned to stay there for a few hours, so I took a book with me. After a while, I just thought that being on his back would be nice. He just had his halter on, no saddle or bridle. So I jumped on his back, lied down, and started reading. I didn't stay too long, because I knew he preferred it when I was on the ground. But still, it was a nice and funny experience. A bit dangerous, too. Had he been frighten of anything, I would have most likely fallen, considering I was lying and not sitting, and that I was completely distracted.

Deathofflight

When it snows in my area, I like to go outside and lay down and read on this nice fallen tree in my yard. In the snow. Its very peaceful, especially if I have hot chocolate!

i used to read on the (5' high, 1' wide) wall between my garden and my front yard when i was younger... good times. :)

drjohnhwatson

I used to just read wherever. When I was younger we had this storage space with doors to both my room and my sister's room and I'd read in there, shutting both doors. Unfortunately one time I tried that and the doors locked and I was stuck in there as my sisters laughed.....

As to the strange reading places for YOU, anything high up and obscure is always good. If you have a statue where you live and can incorporate that into it, even better.

I once went to school with my mom. I couldnt go to class with her so I got to walk around the OSU visitor center. After I got tired of that I went to a beach are that was on the other side of the parking lot and read a book for three hours. It was very nice to sit in the sand and read while listening to the waves!

I used to lay on the roof of the dog house in my back yard for hours. I would lay along the length of the peak and sleep or read. Usually my dog would be up there with me.

• 3 months later...
Princess_Rhaella_Stark

I always wanted to read in a medieval castle. The atmosphere would be incredible!

1) I read several times while on a ferry to France during the night. Very bumpy ride....

2) In an English meadow

3) At the DSPCA at Mount Venus

Nothing too dramatic!

30 feet up, in the fork of a tree. (tie a rope around your waist in case you shift too far). On the roof. Under my bed. On the diving board. On top of the car. On top of a bookshelf. In the bathub (put a towel on the side, and just lean over the side to keep the book dry)...

In front of the computer...in front of the television...

A friend of mine lived in a neighborhood, and took his book to this little grove of trees nearby....a crazy cat lady two doors down called the cops on him. For reading. Under a tree. He didn't get arrested or anything though.

SorryNotSorry

Lying on the carpet, looking upward under a glass-top table, with your reading material face down on top of it. 8)

Lying on the carpet, looking upward under a glass-top table, with your reading material face down on top of it. 8)

YX3nRDF.jpg
Dodecahedron314

Up a tree, always. The more remote the location of the tree, the better. Bonus if your cat follows you up. Extra bonus if your cat follows you back down.

Also, backstage while you're on stage crew. That can work either really well, or not at all, depending on who else is stage crew with you.

Grumpy Alien

Nowhere terribly strange. Growing up, I would go into the bathroom just to read because it was the only time I could get a few minutes of privacy and the only door I could get away with locking.

Now, I like my bed or a cafe. Call me simple. I like to be as comfortable as possible. I read on planes and road trips as well, though that's less often and also simple.

Libraries are nice, but the one in town is mainly for little kids with no reading area for adults and the one in the city is so busy, you have to be somewhat on guard. (I have a hard time concentrating fully on a book when I'm sitting next to and across from untreated mentally ill homeless people and gang members. Especially when I usually carry a large Coach bag.)

I guess I'm not an adventurous reader.

scarletlatitude

I prefer comfy soft places like my bed... but I can get creative for the sake of this post. ;)

- Reading while on someone's back as they carry you around

- Lying upside down on a busy staircase

- Underwater (I don't know how that wouldn't ruin the book, but it's a thought...)

- Inside of a hedge or small plant with just your eyes and the book peaking out

- With your dog or other obedient pet holding the book for you

- On a roller coaster or other usually terrifying ride, but you are seriously concentrating on reading

- While bungee jumping

- Inside of the refrigerator (hey, easy way to get snacks)

YX3nRDF.jpg

You win. :P

Grace Barton

I used to read and draw in the Sea Life Centre in my town. I had a resident's free entry pass, so my friend and I used to take our books or sketchpads and go and sit in the viewing area for the shark tanks and just read or doodle. The atmosphere was very soothing and let us focus on what we were doing. Some of my favourite aquatic character designs spawned there.

The only time it wasn't soothing or inspirational was during holidays or when school trips came through. -_-

Selasphorus

When I was little sometimes I'd read while sitting on the steps of the staircase in our house. Somehow this wasn't terribly uncomfortable?

If you're in it to win it, you might try working some irony or commentary into what you're reading versus where you're reading. I've seen some funny photos of people reading How to tell if your cat is plotting to kill you while their cat is lurking in the background.

Happy Kitty

I used to love reading in my hammock outside. My home was in the woods, so I had my favorite places to hang my hammock. It was nice reading out there.

I used to love reading in my hammock outside. My home was in the woods, so I had my favorite places to hang my hammock. It was nice reading out there.

That is so comfy.

I love reading at the library .. or on the bus.

Baskervillain

I lived in an area a while back with lots of deserted industrial buildings and i like to explore so in my travels i found the access to a old kiln with one of those giant safe like doors but inside the kiln was so quiet all you could hear was your own breathing, footsteps.

I love reading on the highest branch of my favorite tree ^_^

Waist of Thyme

In a volcano

Under the sea

In space or on another planet

Archived