Ace Infographic

seelieAce

Hey everyone, would you mind taking a look at this info-graphic I made for one of my classes? This is still a first draft, so could you tell me if anything needs adding or changing? Clarifying? I just want some at least semi-knowledgeable feedback, which I probably won't get from my teacher, so that all my facts are on point. Even design advice is appreciated, though the tool I am using is limited that way. I would specifically like advice on the 'What not to say' section, since I'm worried it's a tad to confrontational or biased.

https://magic.piktochart.com/output/3535495-ace-info

Thanks a million!

seelieAce

It was pretty good but I wouldn't put "It's just a phase." Is being straight just a phase? As of all the people asking not everyone asking is Straight. Perhaps put an X for the reader's orientation. If you do this, I would also recommand putting X means Orientation in the glossary.

Another thing I forgot to add is "How do you know you don't like it if you've never tried it?" How do you know you don't like sleeping with llamas? You haven't tried it so how do you know? Look at this picture of a llama. Do you like them yet? Just saying as this has been asked. I would suggest keeping the question, but instead possibly respond with. "Some asexuals have tried sex, some like it, some havn't or do not like it. But having sex and liking it/disliking it or not having it and liking it/disliking it is not what makes us Asexual. What makes us Asexual is expierencing no sexual attraction.

FallOutAtTheMotionCityDisc

I really like it. Simple, easy to read. Not too pushy, but very informative.

I definitely agree with the above! Also adding the thing about corrective rape was a nice touch, because I really don't think people understand that it really is dangerous for asexuals in some cases! They think that, even if we're not identifying this way just for attention, coming out as asexual is trying to steal the spotlight from people who are "actually repressed".

I admit to giggling after reading "Look at this picture of a llama. Do you like them yet?" :lol:

I think most of the what not to say section is fine. Except the response to 'it's just a phase' could be reworded as, 'Asexuals are no more likely to change orientation than gays or straights. And the response to 'how do you know you don't like it if you've never tried it' also seems kinda confrontational.

Another note: It should be Asexuality is not, not Asexuality it not. And you spelled hetero romantic wrong.

It's off to a good start, and I especially like the visuals, and the responses given under the "What not to say" section. For the "Degrees of Asexuality" section, I'd recommend changing the icons from the thumbs down and thumbs up icons, because it may give off the impression that all asexuals are repulsed by sex, and all allosexuals are favorable towards it.

Allosexuals are more specifically people who aren't asexual, gray-asexual, or demisexual. In parts of the infographic, you refer to them as sexuals, and allosexuals in others, and it could get confusing.

Not everyone who identifies as biromantic says they're attracted only to men and women. Preferred definitions include "attraction to same and other genders", or "attraction to at least 2 genders".

Below that, there is a typo in "heteroromantic".

I agree with all that was said. : ) Aqua just ninja'd me lol. Soo yes, I agree! A couple typos, and some parts that could be cleared up a bit. Especially the thumbs up and thumbs down. Perhaps you could add some about sex-repulsion? As in, not all aces are sex-repulsed. Some are sex-positive. And in the romantic section, perhaps you could add gray-romantic in there, too, not just demiromantic. : ) Oh and one more thing! Since you mentioned cis- for genders, maybe you could include non-binary genders, too?

Great job on this! It's really looking awesome!! Good luck~ :cake:

First panel - the white on light gray is not the best for all situations. Add a shadow to the white writing to make it pop.

Second panel:

- the black on dark gray is also a questionable choice for certain monitors that suck at color.

- Try using fonts to make the words pop next to the definition. E.g., put the words in bold face.

- "experiences" was misspelled in the definition for allosexual.

- "Demi" can go in the demisexual definition. I.e., "Demisexual (demi): someone who…"

- you should use a colon to separate word from definition I think. It's a stronger identifier of the relationship

Third panel: you don't have to say "is also not." It weakens the statement. Asexuality is not celibacy. Asexuality is not abstinence. Asexuality is not repression. Take out the also for a stronger statement. Also, there was something funky with the font on the left and the positioning of the words was not symmetrical. The layout of the words on this panel made it seem like a formatting mistake rather than an artistic choice.

Fourth panel: Use something, either font or color, to highlight the difference between what the person says and your response to the statement. What not to say is a very short statement, but when I see the long statement, I gloss over the wall of text. A color or font distinction that makes the quote stand out will go a long way to drawing a person's eye to what not to say, and if it is their response, they will read your reply. Don't assume people are reading left to right or top to bottom. Reading "again rude and disrespectful" makes no sense if that's the block of text I read first. Just say "rude and disrespectful."

Fifth panel: the romantic orientation is nice and compact and could be a separate info graph. Apply the above comments for glossary formatting for ease here. Streamline your sentence structure. E.g. "Both asexuals and allosexuals can experience the full range of romantic orientations." By this point, I had to scroll up to remind myself what an allosexual was, so it might not be the best way to put it.

Sixth panel: Here, you say ratio of asexuals to sexuals whereas in other panels you were referring to sexuals as allosexuals. Personally, I'm more familiar with "sexual" than "allosexual," but be consistent.

Great work. Let me know when you have the finished chart and I'll post it to my Aces FB page. :)

Thanks for the feed back everyone this has REALLY helped! I'll make changes and post the final version once I'm done.

Striped Sweater

A good and very complete first draft! I agree with astrobean, especially on the including "demi" with "demisexual" in the definitions panel.

There's a lot going on here (though it's a lot easier to do too much and take stuff out than not do enough!) You have a lot of graphic elements (flowers, symbols, banners, etc), colors, and fonts. Watch your font colors versus background colors. The higher contrast, the better. Having both be a color other than black or white causes our brains to think more about the design rather than the content. I would suggest choosing to either make all the background colors really light or dark and then choosing a black or white font color, respectively.

In a context like this, I wouldn't use any more than three fonts. One for the very top header ("Asexuality: An Emerging Orientation"), one for the secondary headers (i.e. glossary, what not to say, romantic orientations), and one for the content. Sans-serif fonts are better for on screen, serif fonts are better for print.

I also think some of the graphics could be removed. Like the ones in "What Asexuality Is Not" and the arrows showing the spectrums. The arrows could be replaced with a line.

Sorry this is kind of a lot and it's nit-picky, but the content is pretty much there! I'm just blabbing about design. I guess the short version is simplify and be consistent. It makes things easier for you and for the reader.

Minor point -- experiences is spelled wrong in the allosexual definition

Demisexual -- I think the way you've written it implies that demi people always experience sexual attraction once a strong emotional bond has formed, as opposed to saying, for example, "someone for whom a strong emotional bond must first be present in order for sexual attraction to develop."

For cis I would say "identifies exclusively as the gender they were assigned at birth," since folks can identify as more than one gender (which makes them under the trans umbrella).

It may be nice to point out that though asexuality and celibacy are different things, some asexual people are celibate, and some celibate people are asexual."

"They don't have hormone problems" -- except some aces do, just like some people of any sexual orientation. What matters is (afaik) hormone issues are no more common in the ace population than the non-ace population, and that hormone problems don't "cause" asexuality.

"They aren't prude or frigid" -- but many are sex averse or sex-repulsed, which can be stigmatized as "prude" or "frigid."

"They are not gay in denial" -- except some are homoromantic, and may identify as both gay/queer and ace. (The "in denial" piece is key, since that's what's used to silence ace voices, and it can be especially erasing for homoromantic aces.) People do not, however, at least to my knowledge, turn to asexuality as an identity because they can't deal with the idea of possibly being gay or lesbian.

"Did something happen to make you ace?" LOL "Did something happen to make you straight?" (Or to be snarky, "Did something happen to make you nosy?")

"How do you know you don't like it if you've never tried it?" Many aces HAVE tried it, and still don't like it, or have any special desire for it. In that case it's "you haven't found the right partner yet, obviously" or we're back to "gay/lesbian in denial."

I'm not comfortable with aces as "thumbs down" and sexual as "thumbs up" because there are aces who do have sex, and most sexual people do have a set of people they are not attracted to (plus, everyone always has the right to say no to anyone!). And some sexual people are celibate for part or all of their lives.

Also, there's more than just demisexual" in between, so Grey-A should also be moved to above the arrow (if you go with some version of this graphic, which as I said is misleading in other ways).

Romantic attraction slide -- please remove binarist language "both" genders and "opposite" genders, which erase all other trans and non-binary identities, as well as agender/neutrois people. (Yes, this same problem is inherent in the terms "hetero-" and "bi," unless bi is defined as "exactly two different genders." "Hetero-" can sort of be fixed imo with a change to "attracted to the 'opposite binary' gender" and a note about binarism.) You may also want to add "androromantic," "gyneromantic," etc. as alternatives to "homoromantic" and "heteroromantic."

Yes to the important point you've included that sexual people also can be romantically attracted to one set of genders and sexually attracted to a different (and possibly not overlapping) set.

Minor grammar point -- 1% "is," not "are"

A note to those commenting on graphics. Most of that is my trying to fulfill my teachers, rather silly, requirements for the project, once I'm done with it and have a final grade in I'll work on making those changes! Thanks so much! Having GOOD feedback is something I was missing on this.

The definition for gray-asexuality is overly simplistic. It always bothers me when it is oversimplified to "rarely experiences sexual attraction," because that is not why I identify as gray-a. Here are some articles that explain that there are many ways to be gray-a: http://asexualagenda...-to-be-between/ http://theacetheist....-doesnt-cut-it/

Ultimately, gray-a is about being not entirely asexual or (allo)sexual, the gray areas, though many people using the gray-a label (like me) consider themselves much closer to asexual than (allo)sexual.

Also, you should mention that some people use "graysexuality" and others use "gray-asexuality" (or some variation). This is actually something that's really important to me. I identify with gray-asexual rather than graysexual because I also consider myself asexual (in the umbrella sense) and much closer to the ace community and strict asexuality. I never experience sexual attraction in a way that would make me want to act on it. In fact, sometimes I'm unsure whether what I experience is sexual attraction at all. If it is, it's at a very low level. Some people may intentionally choose "graysexual" to distance themselves from asexuality. I personally prefer gray-a.

For some of your lovely suggestions I would like to mention part of the assignment is keeping it brief, so, I would like to go into more detail, but I'm pushing the length limit already. I'll probably add more to this and make it more detailed once I've got a final grade on it. The colors/fonts/design variations are to fulfill my teachers criteria as well, I'll clean that up when I'm done, someone never told her less is more.

She's also teaching high-schoolers for the first time so there is that.

(sorry for any spelling/grammar errors on this post, it's late and I'm tired.)

The definition for gray-asexuality is overly simplistic. It always bothers me when it is oversimplified to "rarely experiences sexual attraction," because that is not why I identify as gray-a. Here are some articles that explain that there are many ways to be gray-a: http://asexualagenda...-to-be-between/ http://theacetheist....-doesnt-cut-it/

Ultimately, gray-a is about being not entirely asexual or (allo)sexual, the gray areas, though many people using the gray-a label (like me) consider themselves much closer to asexual than (allo)sexual.

Also, you should mention that some people use "graysexuality" and others use "gray-asexuality" (or some variation). This is actually something that's really important to me. I identify with gray-asexual rather than graysexual because I also consider myself asexual (in the umbrella sense) and much closer to the ace community and strict asexuality. I never experience sexual attraction in a way that would make me want to act on it. In fact, sometimes I'm unsure whether what I experience is sexual attraction at all. If it is, it's at a very low level. Some people may intentionally choose "graysexual" to distance themselves from asexuality. I personally prefer gray-a.

Thanks so much for the feedback on the grey-ace, greysexuality etc. I haven't had the chance to research the subject much yet, and it really helps to have someone's personal point of view rather than just the textbook definition. I don't want to be distributing flawed or outright wrong information, but also have to keep things brief since as an infographic it's more, for this assignment at least, supposed to be an overview to get people interested and out researching on their own.

Thanks so much for the feedback on the grey-ace, greysexuality etc. I haven't had the chance to research the subject much yet, and it really helps to have someone's personal point of view rather than just the textbook definition. I don't want to be distributing flawed or outright wrong information, but also have to keep things brief since as an infographic it's more, for this assignment at least, supposed to be an overview to get people interested and out researching on their own.

Ricecream-man

2nd Panel- I would include gray asexual in the definitions as well, especially since you do mention it later on in the slides.

3rd panel- Some asexuals are indeed prudes. I know of at least a few people on AVEN who self identify as prudes.

4th panel- This is just a suggestion. Maybe put a space between the quoted statement and your rebuttals to that statement? It would make it a little clearer.

5th panel- It's actually gray-asexual that would fall between allosexual and asexual in the spectrum of sexuality.

6th panel- Once again, gray-romantic rather than demi for in between the two ends.

Those were the main things I saw beyond some minor spelling/grammar errors

Not sure if you're still looking for feedback but if you are there is a small typo in this section:

"'corrective' rape perpetrated against asexuals mean to 'fix' them. Also suggests the asexual is broken and needs to be fixed."

I believe mean was supposed to be meant here.

Other than that, I think your "What not to say" section was great. I particularly like the Llama example.

This would be nice to have linked/pinned on the boards in the introduction or information areas after you're done with your project; it's concise and a nice summary of what most people. ask. :)

The original link should be showing the new version of the infographic, I'm happy to still accept edits and suggestions, and I would like to know, should I put a sort of resources page? Like with links to AVEN and other ace sites? If there are any you think would be good to include I'd be happy to do so.

I would point out of the possibility that there may be more or less asexuals and that depends on meanings being used for one.

Hey I'm not sure whether you're still taking suggestions, or if my suggestion is relevant, but right at the top, you talked about the definition of asexuality, then spoke about romantic orientation under the same heading. I'm wondering if that would confuse newbies? Around here, we know that asexuality and romantic orientation are different things, even though they're linked. And that they're thought of to be the same thing in the allosexual world.

To me, it just feels like romantic orientation is presented as under the umbrella of asexuality, just in that first part right up the top. It's all explained well throughout the rest of it though.

Anyway, good luck with it :) It all looks good :)

https://magic.piktochart.com/output/3535495-ace-info

You guys can post this when ever you feel it's needed! This link will show the newest version of the infographic as it's saved and changed. I'm still accepting edits or suggestions so if you see anything that needs changing tell me please!

Thanks for the help!

Archived