OKcupid adds asexual

That asexual guy

That asexual guy

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/18/living/okcupid-expands-gender-orientation-options/index.html?sr=tw111814okcupidoptions1030pStoryGallPhoto

2015 Edit - For future reference:

OKCupid expands options for gender and sexual orientation
Emanuella Grinberg, CNN

Do you identify as agender, asexual or intersex? If so, OKCupid has you covered.

The popular internet dating site is expanding options for members to choose in the categories of sexual orientation and gender identity, NewNowNext reported.
OKCupid did not publicly announce the changes, and the company did not respond to CNN's request for comment. The news surfaced as users reported receiving a message from the company.
"You're part of a select group with access to this feature," the message read, according to NewNowNext. "Keep in mind as we continue to work on this feature: For now, editing your gender and orientation is only supported on the desktop site."
The settings that most members see allowed them to choose "gay," "straight" or "bisexual" as their sexual orientation. A screen shot on NewNowNext of the expanded options includes asexual, pansexual, questioning, demisexual, heteroflexible, homoflexible and sapiosexual.

Even more expansive are changes to gender, which used to be limited to man or woman. Now, the site offers 20 more options, including agender, cis man, non-binary and others.

Earlier this year, Facebook added a third "custom" gender option for people's profiles. In addition to male or female, Facebook now lets U.S. users choose among some 50 additional options such as "transgender," "cisgender," "gender fluid," "intersex" and "neither." Users also now have the ability to choose the pronoun they'd like to be referred to publicly: he/his, she/her, or the gender-neutral they/their.

Edited by ithaca
  • Like 16
butterflydreams

It's about friggin time!

I'm actually not actively using it anymore, but if my history is any indication, I'll probably be poking around on it at some point in the future.

butterscotchwm

Nice!

Hopefully this will be expanded to all OKc users in the not too distant future.

• Like 1

Oh wow that's great news! I am in a long-term relationship but am still on OKcupid for friendship only.. it'll be great being able to identify as asexual instead of bisexual finally, woohoo! :)

Notte stellata

Selected users???

That's probably why I don't see those new options. Then again, it makes sense that I'm not selected, since I only logged in for the first time in months after seeing this thread. :P

Seems rather weak to me.....either you let us all choose our real orientation or you don't......OKC still is a horrible site I feel like.

But at least it isn't tinder or whatever that hook up site is called.....ick

• Like 1

A step in the right direction. Hopefully they will roll it out for everyone soon.

• Like 1
WhenSummersGone

This is great! Edit: I was able to change my orientation to Demisexual so I'm happy they did this.

drjohnhwatson

It's nice that they've added the selection for some people--t'would be better if it was available to all, of course, but baby steps.

I still myself would be rather reluctant to join and use it, however, because people can be so disgusting and untrustworthy, especially on dating sites.

• Like 2

I guess they're just "beta-testing". But it means new features for all soon, so it's good :) Other dating sites may follow.

• Like 1

Selected users???

That's probably why I don't see those new options. Then again, it makes sense that I'm not selected, since I only logged in for the first time in months after seeing this thread. :P

They're probably testing the new options before they make it available to all. That, or it's going to be a paid option...

Selected users???

They're probably testing the new options before they make it available to all. That, or it's going to be a paid option...

Hopefully not that would be a load of bullshit

• Like 1

just loaded up the site to see if I could change my orientation displayed to demisexual... but I only have the 3 options still

I hope when it is updated for everyone that we can mix and match like they do with other options having 2 selection boxes so I can display both bisexual and demisexual labels together

I left the site ages ago as I was getting frustrated when a few nice conversations I was having just stopped without any reply... made me all paranoid thinking that I had said something bad to put people off when I saw some of them had deleted their account too... I even had to look back at my messages to see if I had said something bad hehe (I only ever send one or two messages at a time until the other person replies so I'm not the type of person to flood their inbox or anything like that)

I found out later that some people had got inapropriate messages from other users and just decided to leave... or had other things going on in their lives so it wasn't anything to do with my messages but when about 5 people suddenly stopping replying in a row over something like 2 months (I only talk to 1 or 2 at a time) it really made me paranoid at a time in my life before I found out I was demisexual so I was already feeling a little different anyway and I didn't know why

may try chatting to people on there again at some point... did get a few good conversations and now I know a lot more about myself I hopefully shouldn't get paranoid and frustrated with myself

this is awesome! it's great for ace visibility, though i am wondering why they included ace and demi, but not grey-ace? since demi's considered to be a subset of grey-a, it makes more sense to me to include both, or grey-a first. :/ also, why sapiosexual? :P (not that sapiosexual's not a valid identity, it just seems kinda random to me to include that identity specifically, since i haven't come into contact with any sapiosexuals. how come they have sapiosexual but not grey-ace?!)

I hope when it is updated for everyone that we can mix and match like they do with other options having 2 selection boxes so I can display both bisexual and demisexual labels together

yep, that's how it works.

2015 Edit - For future reference:

OKCupid Adds Loads Of New Sexuality, Gender Options For Members

November 16, 2014 ● by Dan Avery

Internet dating site OKCupid has greatly expanded the available options members can select for sexual orientation and gender identities.

Users have reported being notified of the change in a message: “You’re part of a select group with access to this feature,” it reads. “Keep in mind as we continue to work on this feature: For now, editing your gender and orientation is only supported on the desktop site.”

Previously OKCupid, which boasts more than 3.5 million users worldwide, only allowed users to declare themselves male or female, and gay, straight or bisexual.

The list of sexual orientations now includes asexual, demisexual, heteroflexible, homoflexible, pansexual, queer, questioning and sapiosexual (one who finds intelligence to be the most important sexual trait).

okcupid-2.png

Gender has now been extended to include agender, androgynous, cis man, cis woman, genderfluid, gender Nnononforming, hjra, intersex, trans man, trans woman and two spirit, among others.

okcupid.png

OkCupid has not revealed when, or if, these options will be made available to all users.

Facebook rolled out several new gender options earlier this year.

Edited by ithaca

So cool! I have listed plainly on my profile that I'm ace, but this will be a much welcome change!

WhenSummersGone

I hope all users get to change their orientation soon. I don't know why I could change mine. This is also great for educating others. I've already got two messages about being Demisexual.

aawh in the orientation section of my OKCupid profile I still only have 3 options: Bisexual, Gay, Straight :( .. can't wait until I can change it to asexual :p ..I'm not sure why it matters as i'm not looking for a relationship, only friends, but I just don't feel comfortable saying I'm bisexual when I'm not (I'm Panaesthetic so bi is the closest to that I guess )*sigh*

Selected users???

Hopefully not that would be a load of bullshit

That, my friends, would actually contitute legal discrimination. So, if they do do it, it will be easy if time consuming to get it as a non-paid option.

I guess they're just "beta-testing". But it means new features for all soon, so it's good :) Other dating sites may follow.

I would have to think so. It isn't uncommon for sites to test out new software with select users in case there are any problems. Updating isn't just flicking a switch.

• Like 1

Just tried to change my settings and it still only says "straight, gay, bisexual."

So I created a new profile (having deleted mine some time ago) and I only see straight, gay and lesbian as options.

littlepersonparadox

Selected users???

IF it's just going to be a paid option then that's going to be really stupid and sad. if they do that it's like saying "Hey 1% of people who we want to use our site pay more because your not normal!!!" They probably won't make it a paid option most likely if they have any commmon sense. Besides as it's been pointed out switching over isn't just flicking a switch. were studying this exact thing updateing systems and the process behind it. When working with tech and doing stuff like this you have to follow the SDLC (System Development Life Cycle) and intergrateing stuff means doing some sort of transition period oftentimes if you want to minimize risk. overall the change of what they are looking at now is pretty progressive from what i can tell.