Asexuality and Cynicism

1 member has voted

1. 1. How cynical would you consider yourself?

• I'm cynical and allosexual
    • I'm cynical and fall into the asexual spectrum
    • I'm somewhat cynical and allosexual
    • I'm somewhat cynical and asexual
    • I'm not a cynical allosexual
    • I'm not a cynical asexual
    • other/unsure
  2. 2. If you are asexual, what are you cynical about?

• (I'm not cynical/I'm allosexual)
    • Life in general
    • Love
    • The government
    • Human nature
    • Motivations
    • Religion
    • Education
    • Fame
  3. 3. Would you say that there is a link between cynicism and asexuality?

• yes
    • yes, but only about certain topics
    • no, they are unrelated
    • unsure
  4. 4. If the two are related, would you say:

• cynicism is a result of asexuality
    • asexuality is a result of cynicism
    • there are equally related
    • the two are mutually exclusive
    • both have more to do with a person's personality
    • (they are not related)
    • unsure

This poll is closed to new votes

I was recently having a conversation with a close friend who knows I'm asexual and she brought up an interesting point--are my general blase/somewhat cynical views related to my (a)sexuality?

This got me thinking, while I know many people on this site who are somewhat cynical, I can't say for sure if the two are related.

What are your thoughts?

I'm cynical and Asexual, but I don't personally see how they're related. But then, that's due to my tendency to compartmentalize every aspect of myself.

drjohnhwatson

I never even thought about the two being correlated. I suppose because I'm not too cynical in matters of like love and relationship (more lonely, haha!). I tend to be more cynical about human nature on the whole and government and the like.

We do have a pretty high level of cynical peeps here, yet most do not seem to support that asexuality and cynicism is related. Interesting.

We do have a pretty high level of cynical peeps here, yet most do not seem to support that asexuality and cynicism is related. Interesting.

Even more interesting is that people here are least cynical about love even with the strings of sex that society tends to tie to it.

....and everyone is cynical about the government....

I am cynical to an extent, but doubt it has to do with my asexuality.

(PS: your avatar is awesome)

I'm not cynical at all. Maybe because I don't hold people to a very high standard, so they more often than not surprise me.

I'm cynical, but I'm not sure if I would say that attributes to my asexuality. Now, I'm extremely apathetic, and I believe that does play a role in my aromanticism and possibly my asexuality.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm cynical, sarcastic, and jaded.

I think life in general consists of struggle, heartbreak, and death with only a few bits of joy... That the government (and state in general) seeks only to secure its own interests (and the interests of its corporate masters), exploiting the working class along the way... That the human race as a whole is selfish, destructive, and hateful... Largely because we're dumbed down (at least in America) by a failed education system and vapid celebrity bullshit. I'm the sort of person that laughs at George Carlin and Bill Hicks less because their funny and more as a nervous reaction because they are right about a lot of things.

But it's not related to my asexuality. In fact, there is still a lot of beauty in this world. It's just hard to find, sometimes.

Mycroft is Yourcroft

I used to be very cynical, but then I realised that it wasn't making me feel good about myself or my life, and I can't say it was contributing anything to it either. I'm not really cynical any more, though I am also wary of straying too far in the other direction and becoming naive.

I generally try to assume the best of people, and give them the benefit of the doubt, but if that trust is misplaced I have to be very sure they won't re-abuse it before I give them another chance.

I don't really see why that might be linked to asexuality though. :huh:

I am a very cynical man. I have no idea where I fit on any spectrum and just tend to ignore things and get on with it, but I wouldn't say there was a link. I do think that some asexuals have had difficult lives, difficulties in fitting in with certain groups, and that could make them a little more guarded, but not necessarily cynical.

I'm somewhat cynical about certain things. And I'm asexual. I never thought to connect them...but for me, maybe some of my cynicism could be related. Maybe? I don't know lol. But overall, I think it's based on people's different personalities.

butterflydreams

I'm not cynical, I'm a depressed realist.

I've been a little cynical about specific ideas and things. But I don't consider myself cynical, but more along the lines of being a person who questions the norm.

Yet, I think that cynicism has nothing to do with asexuality.

I'm asexual and cynical enough to tick every topic box in the 2nd section.

Though I'm not sure the two are related, they might, they might not, I've never really thought about that

Is this the 4,395th "Is there a connection between asexuality and..." thread?

Asexuality is an orientation, cynicism is a human trait. Ergo they are unrelated.

Me, I've always been bloody cynical, especially about celebrities who do things for charity.

• 11 months later...

This poll is being locked and moved to the read-only Census Archive for 2014. As part of ongoing Census Forum organization, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, each poll will last for one year. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

Census Moderator

Archived