Do you or do you not drink Alcohol

GabbyDearest

So I don't drink any alcohol.

None at all, never have never will. I've tasted a few kinds but always spit it out because of the horrible taste. There is a history or alcohol abuse on my dad's side of the family, his father was a drunk, my dad is a social addict, and I've seen the same patterns of substance abuse in my aunt, uncle and now my brother.

When I was little I swore I would never drink and so far so good. Partially because of the horrible smell all alcohol has for me and also the evidence of alcoholism being genetic is pretty evident and I'm terrified that if I drink at all someday I could turn out like them.

So I'm breaking the cycle and if I ever have kids I plan on raising them to avoid it as well.

I know a lot of people are perfectly able to have a drink or two, or celebrate sometimes and not go down the rabbit hole. But I can't help this large amount of hatred I have towards all alcohol in general.

Anyways, felt like I needed to get that off my chest tonight. Chime in if you've experienced any of the same things I have or have an opposing view.

I don't drink alcohol, and this is why:

• I simply don't like the taste
  • I don't like the effect alcohol has on me. (I don't like getting drunk. Alcohol makes me nauseous, and you feel like poop the next day)
  • Alcoholism runs in my family
  • I have a really addictive personality, so if I ever did decide to drink, I have high chances of alcoholism, so I don't want to take that chance
  • Alcohol is stupidly expensive, and I don't understand why people would pay so much more for it rather than having other beverages like a water or soda or tea or hot chocolate or coffee or energy drinks
  • "But alcohol is used as a social drink!" I'm not social so this doesn't apply to me

I'm pretty much just like you. Never have, never will. Have had a couple major traumatic incidents from childhood involving alcohol that I've pretty much sworn off the stuff in an effort to avoid ever repeating history.

It also tastes like ass. So, never really felt like I'm losing out.

I do drink but I have rules for it.

I only drink around people I trust and people I know that don't have a problem with any sort of addictions.

I never drink to get drunk.

Beer is absolutely disgusting, so I stick to small amounts of mixed drinks. That gets me flak occasionally, but I don't let it get to me.

Generally with these rules in mind, I usually only drink at home with my roommate and never drive while under the influence.

I don't drink often, or a lot, but I do drink alcohol on special occasions (unless I'm driving, of course).

There are lot of drinks I don't like, but I do like the odd glass of Brandy and Lemonade, or Southern Comfort and Coke, and when I'm on holiday, cocktails.

While I was a teenager, my parents never hid alcohol from me, and they would always let me try a sip of what they were drinking if I wanted to, under the logic of "If she's exposed to alcohol, it won't be as 'new and exciting' when she becomes legally old enough to drink (18 in the UK), so she won't go out binge drinking and getting completely drunk" So far it's worked, but how much of that is nature and how much is nurture is up for debate. I drink slowly anyway, and always stop when I start feeling tipsy.

I don't think alcohol is necessarily bad, (although I hate it when people try to pressure other people into drinking), as with all things it's about moderation. Like how the adverts say "Drink responsibly" not "Don't drink"

In an ideal world, everyone would know their limits, and if people wanted to drink they could, and if people didn't want to drink other people would respect their decision and everyone would get along. *Sigh* Unfortunately, there will always be people who think it's a great idea to drive home from a party after having far too much to drink, and as long as those people are around, there'll always be debates over alcohol...

WhenSummersGone

I have had alcohol but I haven't had it in a long time. I don't like the taste, what it does and what it does to people.

I don't drink often. More so these days, I suppose, in that I often have a measure of whisky in the evenings. I never liked getting drunk, and don't care much for drinking as part of a pubby-clubby evening (It's also too damn expensive that way)

I don't drink alcohol. Why should I? If I want to be addicted to something, I'll be addicted to the internet (which I probably am by some definitions) and at least my liver will thank me.

Sure I do.

I've had bad experiences too, I was young.

But wine and beer are good and I enjoy sharing them with people I care for.

Marshmallow Tree

I don't drink. I don't see a point to drinking alcohol. It tastes horrid and leaves a gross warm feeling in you. I want to stay in control of myself and my thoughts. I'm not going to drink alcohol just because everyone else does.

I don't drink alcohol. Haven't for years. I did drink a bit in my late teens, early twenties. I was never much of a party person, but partying seems expected when you are young, and the only way I could cope with parties was to get drunk. I didn't like the taste or the effects apart from it allowing me to attend parties, and then there were the hangovers, so I gave it up and stopped going to parties.

My grandfather and my fathers brothers and one of his sisters were all alcoholics. They all died quite young. My dad went the other way and is a real health nut.

My father is an alcoholic so I've seen firsthand what kind of damage alcohol is capable of. He is a totally different person these days. The alcohol consumption of hard liquor over the years has caused him to act out in such a way I have had to cut off all communication with him. He's just too toxic to be around. Because of this, I don't think I will ever pick up a drink. I'm too afraid of losing control of myself.

My father got nasty under the influence of alcohol, but then he never knew when to stop, I drink alcohol very occasionally, I have about half a dozen cans of beer in the fridge, at least a dozen bottles of whiskey on the shelf in the cupboard, but I drive trucks for a living, I'm not prepared to put others at risk for my stupidity, I last had a whiskey on September 4th, a year to the day that one of my close friends died, I had a beer last night as I don't have to drive all day today, I probably won't have another beer until Tuesday or Wednesday evening as I have Wednesday/Thursday as my weekend, normally I may have a can of beer, that's it, I don't feel I have to drink because I have it there, it doesn't worry me whether I drink or not, quite often if we go out for a night out, I am often the allocated driver because I don't mind not having a drink

I do, but rarely (2-3 times a year), Whenever I do drink, I do so quite heavily (between two and three bottles of sweet wine/champagne/mead); I quite enjoy both the taste and the mental/emotional effects. :)

What I have learned the hard way, though, is to never drink socially. When I drink, it's to be done alone in my room/flat - I learned that lesson in '03 (not going into the details), and never broke that resolve again. When I'm among people, it's water or softdrinks only; no exceptions.

I don't drink alcohol.

When I was younger I tried it, wine and beer being possibly the worst thing I have ever tasted, but I didn't like the affects and how it changed people's behaviour which totally put me off. I can't even stand the smell of it, on someone's breath or where it is served. I think it's a waste of money too.

As a rule, I don't get drunk or even tipsy. I do drink a little on special occasions, but never enough for it actually to affect me, beyond making me a little easier to talk to :P

I got tipsy once, out of curiosity, and that was the creepiest, most uncomfortable thing I've ever done to myself, so no thanks. None of that for me.

I've never even tasted it before. I only know what beer smells like and it makes me want to gag, so I aint sticking any of that in my body. I'd also rather keep my liver functioning at peak performance. There's zero benefits to be gained from the ingestion of alcohol so I really dont see any point in it.

As for family, I'm the only one who doesnt touch it. My brother was getting drunk while in high school. And I mean that literally, certain classes didnt have supervision so him and his buddies got wasted during the school day and damaged each other and the classroom. After high school, he didnt want to get a job so instead sold stuff that belonged to my dad, mom, sister, and me without telling us so he could get booze money and go partying at night. My brother is a raging moron and I know that wouldnt happen to me if I decided to drink, but the alcohol still helped boost the negative aspects of his personality. Today, he's a drunk. If he ever needs a liver transplant, he can suffer cus I'm not giving any of mine up so it can be re-soiled with ick. He doesnt deserve it when negative consequences were gained by personal choice.

As a rule, I don't get drunk or even tipsy.

Wouldn't work for me... I'm noticeably tipsy even after a small glass of wine. Surprising as it is looking at my stature (6'1"/1.86, and quite fat), alc goes straight to my head in no time.

At the minute, I drink maybe once or twice a week and just get a wee bit drunk. I'd like to stop altogether - I want to save my money. Drinking is getting boring. I just end up going on Facebook and commenting on stuff and messaging people and saying stupid stuff. If I could, I'd start taking drugs instead but I'm not cool enough.

I don't like to drink alcohol, not even a little. I mean, I take just a little but for a toast say, but not otherwise. It tastes nasty. The fruity stuff is too sweet and the rest tastes just nasty. And should I be in some social gathering or something I'd rather go for a soda or juice. But I'm not social so I don't have that problem.

And even if toasting to something it has to be with more people and something really special, otherwise not even then. Then I rather toast with milk or coffee, or tea.

I used to always be like "I will never drink, it's just stupid and pointless, and you don't achieve anything from it". Now, don't get me wrong on anything, that's a really good ideology.. Alcohol ruins lives, it kills, it can cause just so much suffering.

I sometimes worry, that it might take me over, now, I don't want to have any advice, I don't want any pity or anything.. I really like the taste of it, I don't need it to have a good time, but it certainly does not stop me for having one with friends.. Mental disorder runs in my family, mentaly ill people are more likely to become alcoholics, and many in my family are very abusive, my grandpah used to be violent, a drug addict and an alcoholic, and he hurt the woman that matters the most to me in the world - my grandmah - so I obviously have a bad association with this myself.. Yet, somehow, I don't feel bad or associate any guilt with being a "drinker". I suppose I just am not a very... happy girl.. I don't know. Alcohol is poison, literally (biologicaly and chemicaly), socialy, culturaly and psychologicaly. 1/8.

Usually I don't.

I don't like the feeling of getting drunk.

I hate the (maybe only Austrian) idea that you can only have fun while going out being completely drunk.

or that people are proud of being hungover and forgetting stuff from the prior night.

However, I do like some alcohol. I think champagne is yummy. Also beer tastes good. The rest doesn't.

and if I happen to drink anything it's maybe a glass tops.

also I can't really because I live somewhere in nowhere so even if I'd fancy getting drunk I couldn't because I have to drive home. Luckily I don't fancy it.

SorryNotSorry

Very rarely.

For one, I don't like the taste (mead is the only alcoholic drink I actually find palatable). 2. I don't care to be associated with certain alcoholic beverage subcultures. 3. Alcohol is overrated.

Never, ever drink alcohol. Never will. No interest at all. I have tasted beer, vodka, wine and a few cakes baked with it but that was just to see the flavor cause people wouldn't shut up.

1) It tastes awful. Every type of alcohol tastes like rubbing alcohol to me. Even the "chocolate" liquor stuff they use for baking, even once it's cooked. My taste buds are very sensitive to certain flavors and the "alcohol" flavor is one of them.

2) It smells as bad as it tastes.

3) I have never been around someone who was drinking that did not annoy me. I would rather not act like that.

4) My mom began getting drunk every non-working hour when I was around 15, she still does it. So, I have personal reasons to dislike it.

I don't care if people drink, it's their own business. But, I do get very uncomfortable around people who are drinking, since pretty much every experience has been negative, so I try to avoid social drinking situations. I just excuse myself though, since it's not my place to tell people what to do.

I drink quite a lot actually.

It helps that I have a high tolerance to alcohol. It takes more than some drinks for me to get drunk.

I mostly drink beer since I despise vodkas and other distilled beverages. I don't like wine that much so it leaves me with beer. And I drink it because, one, the beer brands I drink are far from the corn/rice syrup they sell on supermarkets and stores, and, I like the taste of beer. If someone says that beer tastes awful this someone probably has poor knowledge with beverages.

Sometimes I skip a meal and drink instead. I mostly take a weissbier or a stout or even a pilsner, some beer that has a higher density, and then I'm good for the time.

Althought I drink there are a few things I can't understand. You peeps who don't drink will feel me...

Why is there such a doctrination towards alcohol nowadays? Like everybody has to drink and everybody has to like drinking, it is stupid :(

I personally do not like getting drunk and passing out on the floor to feel like crap the next day.

Being tipsy with your friends is cool, but getting wasted is dangerous and has no point.

I'm totally okay with people who don't drink. I will never try to convince anyone to start drinking, all I would do is, if you already drink, advice to try real drinks.

But lately I've been seeing somewhat of a campaign to make everyone start drinking.. It is just bad, real bad.

I don't drink. I've tried sips of a few alcoholic beverages just to see what they tasted like, and all of them tasted awful to me. I'd much rather drink water or soda or something. I'm also under the legal drinking age where I live and am currently taking medication that makes it dangerous to drink, so even if I did like the taste it would be very risky for me and I probably still wouldn't do it.

I dint really care if other people drink though. Being in college, I know a lot of people who regularly drink alcohol and/or get drunk. As long as they're not driving and are being safe about it, it doesn't matter to me.

I most certainly do not ever consume alcohol. It is a poison, after all!

I consider alcohol as something better suited to kitchen surface cleaners than drinks. See how effective it is at making kitchen surfaces spotlessly clean. With that in mind I dread to think what it would do to my insides!

SorryNotSorry

I most certainly do not ever consume alcohol. It is a poison, after all!

I consider alcohol as something better suited to kitchen surface cleaners than drinks. See how effective it is at making kitchen surfaces spotlessly clean. With that in mind I dread to think what it would do to my insides!

Vodka makes a mighty fine antiseptic IME.

I can totally relate. I don't drink any.

The rare times I " use " alcohol is when I make cakes. It gives them a nice fragrance.

Yes, I do. But my brother is a lifetime abstainer. He has never drunk alcohol and never will and he's nearing 50.

Archived