What are you afraid of?

Ace-TheTimelordsCompanion

What are you afraid of (POSSIBLE WARNING)  

1. 1. Pick all that you have an actual fear of

• Spiders
    • Mice
    • Small Spaces
    • Crowds
    • Clowns
    • Heights
    • Uncertainty
    • Deap Water
    • death
    • The dark
    • General risk taking
    • Public Speaking
    • Loud noises
    • Germs/Bacteria
    • Insects
    • Snakes
    • Being alone
    • None/Other (I know I've missed a lot, please comment)
    • Failure
    • Ghosts
  2. 2. Pick all that you actually like/enjoy (Not just put up with, actually like)

• Spiders
    • Mice
    • Small Spaces
    • Crowds
    • Clowns
    • Uncertainty
    • Deap Water
    • Death
    • The Dark
    • General Risk Taking
    • Public Speaking
    • Load Noises
    • Being Alone
    • Insects
    • Snakes
    • Germs/Bacteria
    • Failure
    • Ghosts
    • Other/None (please comment if you enjoy something else, that others find scary)
    • Heights

This poll is closed to new votes

I have severe arachnophobia. However, strangely, tarantulas scare me somewhat less than other spiders. Some even look almost cute... Anyway, nothing scares me half as much as giant house spiders. 4" / 10 cm large. And they're not even tropical spiders.

If you're arachnophobic, don't open this spoiler. Really, I'm serious. (Giant house spider picture)

751px-Tegenaria_duellica_and_dollar_bill

Still strangely, I like insects. I find them fascinating. Beetles, butterflies, dragonflies... They're so beautiful.

I'm terrified of heights and public speaking but the one thing I'm scared of the most is elevators. For things I enjoy on this list are; Ghosts, the dark, and being alone.

I selected waaaaay too many fears to list lol. For what I like of the fears listed, I chose mice and other. Other being frogs/toads (my mom is afraid of them, but I don't hesitate to pick up and pet lol). I'd have to think a while for more answers...I'm afraid of a lot of things. XD;

If you're arachnophobic, don't open this spoiler. Really, I'm serious. (Giant house spider picture)

751px-Tegenaria_duellica_and_dollar_bill

That is horrifying! Do you commonly get ones that big in your home? Egads. And I thought the 4cm (approx.) ones I've seen were big and scary. The worst thing is when they jump off the wall when I try to catch them and then I can't find them again. *shudders*

I'm terrified of dogs. Once ran into a busy road to avoid one as a child, scared the bejesus out of my mother.

@ Bergamot : Yes, unfortunately, I got a few. I know that they reproduce in the cellar, and they enter in my apartment from time to time. It happened 3 or 4 times since I moved to live there. This is the reason why I NEVER go to the cellar.

I'm glad I've got a cat who likes to play with spiders and to kill them.

The only thing on the list that I am moderately afraid of would be public speaking. I don't have full-blown phobia of it, but I simply become incredibly nervous and end up blundering my way thru it (or at least I did the last time I gave a speech) and I fear sounding like an idiot. Also, it's hard for me to think of really anything I would have anything close to a phobia of these days, though I did have a few in the past. I used to have a terrible case of "medical phobia"; not specifically needles but simply everything and anything invasive in nature. I could tolerate a simple blood draw or vaccination, but anything more involved than that and I'd be a wreck....but thankfully I got over it. Also used to be terrified of roller coasters, but now I love them. The only thing I have now is a really weird fear of going beneath the water where it is over my head in depth, especially in pools but sometimes in the ocean. If I ever had to swim down to the bottom of a pool in water too deep to stand up in, say, to get a lost piece of jewelry, either I'd leave it there or I'd end up nearly panicking in order to do it. But I'm not afraid of deep water per-se, as I spend more time in the deep end of the pool and I go out in the ocean beyond where I can stand all the time so I can get past the breakers. It is a really weird fear but also very disturbing.

Fears:

heights

loud noises

dogs (not on the list)

and the absolute worst fear ever: balloons (don't laugh). They're like time bombs!

Deep water

Dark

Being alone

Fears- single women, dogs, open spaces and enclosed spaces, horses, doing anything new, being a passenger at high-speed, but I love driving far too fast, not being in control of a situation, having needles stuck in me- but again ones the needle is actually in I want to see everything else going on even surgery, pain but I have a high pain threshold, being alone but I also like being alone, anything which may cause a repetition of what I went through I January 2014, fairground rides, cable cars- but I love the view from them, handling live fish, sex sexuality romance kissing touching, failure, being noticed in public- yet I draw attention to myself

likes thunder, rough seas, but not millponds, small furry creatures,

As can be seen firstly I have lots of phobias, secondly some of them are contradictory, and finally I can enjoy things I have a phobia of, such as dressing in an attention seeking way so people don't see the person under the clothes. basically different parts of my psyche like and are scared of different things and in constant battle with one another

I put "being alone" as a fear and as something I like. It's very complicated. I like to feel that I have the option of being alone but not that it's being forced on me because no one wants to interact with me.

I'm not actually afraid of anything. I have conquered my spiderphobe and my small spaces stress, where as the others on the list are events or situations that are mainly inevitable. And ghosts don't exist :ph34r:

Public speaking, germs and bacteria, risk taking and failure are the the only ones I don't have a beef with. Although I wouldn't exactly say that death was up there with coffee and football as one of my favourite topics :P

I'm scared of death (mine and people's close to me), needles, being kidnapped or raped, my house catching fire, bears, ocean depths, public speaking, driving downtown, and I'm sure there are others!

Squirrel Combat

I'm scared of genetically modified oranges that will grow limbs, rise to 2,000 feet tall, then shoot laser beams at everything and enslave us all! :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :o !!!

Have you ever watched "Attack of the giant moussaka" ?

I only experience fear while standing on a ladder. I love heights, though...the higher the better!

Aisntllecxtual

I am afraid of spiders but only the big hairy kind - tarantulas, black widows, etc. Arghh! Awful!

I absolutely love public speaking. What a thrill! A well delivered speech where I really feel I am connecting with my audience gives me such an indescribable feeling of personal satisfaction and bonding, so ecstatic - I might even say orgasmic - that I can only imagine as emotional effect something similar to what a sexual must feel after an unforgettably pleasurable sexual experience. In that way, perhaps, I can relate to sex: that avidly desired, common, and, for me, peculiar human activity. My first experience with it (my equivalence to sex) was in the 6th grade when we had an assignment to deliver a public speech in class. My teacher was thought by all students to be really mean. She called on me first to stand up in front of the class. I stammered nervously - couldn't get a word out - pitiful. My teacher in the nicest compassionate voice said it was alright, calmed me down, and said I could sit down - not auspicious to say the least, yet life is full of surprises. I credit this supposedly mean teacher - who was really, at heart, quite the opposite - for later heartfelt embrace, realization of love for this art-form. I also get a real high from heights. I remember as a counselor hiking with the teens I counseled in a therapeutic school. One was in front of me and froze stiff from fear when he looked down from a considerable height as we were climbing a very steep vertical cliff. I guided him slowly down to safety. In same climbing adventure, another fellow counselor - who also found heights exhilarating - jumped from a ledge to a small jutting plateau about 20 feet away and down that might have been able to fit four people on it at most. My colleague jumped and landed and then beckoned me to jump onto this preciously small space, and, with little hesitation, I did. The kids just looked at us, shook their heads, thought we were crazy. If we had missed that small landing, it would have been a long long ways down, death would have been almost certain. And, finally, I adore being alone. I can't get enough of solitude. I was a loner at 5 years old and remain as much 49 years later.

Yeah, you forgot NEEDLES! I don't like NEEDLES..........NO! EVER!!!!!! Um other than that I can take just about anything. Ghosts , anything else........extraterrestrials.......

Fears:

Crowds.

Insects (specifically wasps...)

Mice

Being Alone

Failure (It sometimes bothers me but, I always recover.)

Crowds and heights do me in. Also, I have an irrational fear concerning fish. I think there's even a name for it..ichthyophobia. I've never met anyone else with the same fear as me so I don't know how common it is. It's kind of a weird thing to be afraid of, I guess! :p

Also, I have an irrational fear concerning fish. I think there's even a name for it..ichthyophobia. I've never met anyone else with the same fear as me so I don't know how common it is. It's kind of a weird thing to be afraid of, I guess! :P

Live fish, cooked fish, or both ?

drjohnhwatson

I'm afraid of just about everything, but the biggest thing for me is probably spiders. A science teacher in middle school had a tarantula and he took it around, letting us touch it. I tried to overcome my fear and I touched it and we both got scared so I think I set myself back a few notches :lol:

I detest public speaking, but I found the old adage of "if you do it enough, you'll get used to it" was fairly true to the point when I had to give my 20 minute oral on my thesis, I was as close to relaxed as I could be (I shook and stammered a bit, but I didn't feel like I was about to have a heart attack like I usually did!).

I'm also really bad with elevators if where I'm going is anything above what could kill me if it dropped. I went to the top of the Sears (Willis? I don't know what it's called now) Tower and it SHOOK and HUMMED the entire way down. I was petrified.

And oh yeah!! I don't want to drive. I fight my parents on this, who think I need to do it to "be an adult", regardless of the fact I've listed several famous people who never got driver's licenses and did just fine. It frightens me. Mainly for the fact that I CANNOT control other people, and I could be doing everything to the LETTER, whereas someone else might be drinking, or on drugs, or inattentive, or what-have-you and my life could be ended just like that. Plus I can't imagine how shaken I'd be if I ran over an animal; I know I would have to pull over and weep for a bit because I'm a big softie and I can't stand killing things :redface:

Also, I have an irrational fear concerning fish. I think there's even a name for it..ichthyophobia. I've never met anyone else with the same fear as me so I don't know how common it is. It's kind of a weird thing to be afraid of, I guess! :P

Live fish, cooked fish, or both ?

Both. 31 years, and I still can't bring myself to even think about trying seafood. Yuck.

Wow. It must be a real problem with friends and in restaurants. I'm sorry for you :(

Well, I don't go out to eat too much anyway so it's not a problem. But I do give my family a hard time when they want to rent a rowboat or go fishing! haha :)

Well there are people who are afraid of butterflies.

Lepidopterophobes it is called.

Arachnophobe and achrophobia. . .

Gosh I hate spiders.... Waaahhh I hate high ground.. Hmm 3:

I don't like insects, especially the tiny ones like mites and baby scorpions that you don't notice until they crawl halfway up your arm (eeugh...)

I actually really enjoy small spaces- there's something oddly comforting about being in a small enclosure, idk.

And I guess I'm not afraid of heights so much as I'm afraid of falling. I'd feel perfectly fine standing on the Empire State Building looking down through the fence at the street below, but take that fence away and there's no way I'm walking up to the edge.

ranting ferret

being alone is something i both like and fear depending on circumstances, like how long i have to be alone, will i have a chance to be talk with someone, if i have a project to work on during that time and if i'll be able to have the option of not spending the whole time in silence.

Archived