Pain tolerance

Waist of Thyme

1. 1. Pain tolerance

• 0: If you breathe down my neck, the force of your breath will have me screaming and crying in complete agony for several days
    • 1: Even a hard enough touch can hurt, and light scratches are my limit
    • 2: If I bang my knee or hit my head on something, I'll be on the floor for several minutes
    • 3: I can take a few punches or kicks, but no more than a few
    • 4: I can take quite a few hits. In order to take me out quickly, you'd need a weapon that hits hard
    • 5: If I'm chasing after you, you'd better have a gun with a loaded bullet
    • 6: If I get shot in the arm, the next morning I'll wonder why my arm hurts
    • 7: I shower under a waterfall of acid, and my idea of a therapeutic massage is being drawn and quartered
    • 8: One of my favorite foods are atomic bombs. I love how when you bite them, all the flavor comes out at once. It's an explosive sensation.
    • 9: If there were a universal mass extinction event, I'd have the whole world to myself

This poll is closed to new votes

I can TOLERATE a lot of pain; that doesn't mean that I don't feel it.

I'm a baby. Needles are excruciatingly painful for me, I'm in pain if someone so much as hugs me too hard and in most cases for me tickling isn't funny, its painful.

Now that said, i got bit by a dog 2 years ago, bad enough to permanently scar my leg and i didn't react at all beyond "omg, look at my leg" i think a large part of it was adrenaline and shock, but i didn't react later once it wore off either so i dunno what to make of that lol

that's basically me.

I love a bit of pain. In high school I would freak people out by sticking pins in the palm of my hand just far enough for them to stay in when I turn my palm upside down. Once I was in a real hurry so I asked my dentist to just skip the novocane and drill my cavity quick so I could leave. When I was younger my parents would have me get my shots from the doctor in front of my brother to trick him into thinking it didn't hurt. I like knowing that I've got a tough body that can handle whatever's thrown at it.

I have a low tolerance for pain. All though, I do have a particular fondness for really spicy food. I like these.

nolongerinterested...

I have an extremely high tolerance for pain. I've had several tattoos and piercings that didn't hurt to get. I can handle most things without flinching, but a bee sting. A bee sting will bring me to tears. Lol

TheLandsBeyond

When I got my industrial pierced, I felt disappointed by how quickly my piercer did it. For the amount of money I paid, I expected it to take at least a couple extra minutes. I guess I'll just have to get a sleeve tattoo next...

I have a slightly high pain threshold and very high pain tolerance. I've gone to school on a broken foot because I didn't want to deal with crutches; had a rusty nail go clear through my foot and simply swear and pull the board off of my foot before limping a mile home to clean it up; surgically repaired an ingrown toenail with a pocketknife and rubbing alcohol; broken a rib and never noticed (it healed crooked as a result); torn muscles in both calves through overexertion and continued running for several months; &c.

I'd say my pain tolerance is around a 4 or 5. Physical pain has never been a huge issue for me, sometimes I even get my friends to punch me as hard as they can because I think it's funny when they hit me for some odd reason. I can take being hit with objects, pushed, punched, pinched, kicked, etc pretty well and laugh it off but anything that pierces or tears my skin hurts a bit more. Broken bones hurt for me quite a bit, but nothing that I can't manage without completely losing my composure.

Amoeba-Proteus

On a... er... "normal" scale, I'd say 7 or 8.
I have a pretty good pain tolerance. I think I've burnt/stabbed myself, and broken things enough times that I hardly notice half the time. Being in multiple martial arts contributes too. I've been punched, kicked, squished, choked, and had things cranked enough times that I'm pretty used to it. :P

First time I ever fractured a rib, I didn't realize till much later. I just kept wondering "why does this rib keep sticking out funny. It feels like it's shifting", and I'd punch my side till it felt like it was back in the right spot. Then I found out it was actually fractured...
Fractured another one a month or so ago. It still sticks out a little, but I just ignore it.

Been walking on an injured knee for a year now. It's excruciating, but I put up with it... it's been so long, that the pain feels normal to me.

Almost lost my tongue once, or at least a pretty large portion of it. That was beautiful.
They stitched it with little expectations of it healing proper. They said I likely wouldn't be able to talk well. The scarring was absolutely horrible and took a long time to heal, but it actually healed amazingly well, and I can talk just fine (there are some words I have trouble with, but I'm not sure if that's a result of the injury, if I picked up some of my family's accent, or if I just can't talk sometimes. :P )

Fun stuff...

I put 6 ^_^ When my appendix burst inducing septicaemia I refused to go to the hospital because I kept reassuring my mom it was just PMS ;D she had to drag me there. Also when I broke my left arm, I didn't realise the right one was broke too and it recovered without any treatment/support. Oh and I don't mind needles/injections at all.

I don't know. I had both my kids and didn't have a damn thing. Labor was 14 hrs. with the first and 4 1/2 hard and fast with the second.

Slightly TMI : When I got my gallbladder removed because of gallstones, my gallbladder was so big because it was full of stones that the surgeon had to make the hole in my abdomen wider to remove it, and she told me that she didn't understand how I was able to tolerate such excruciating pain during months and months (only an ultrasound showed that I had to undergo surgery). Well, yes, I had some pain, but I thought that it was just gas in my intestine :blink: :lol:

Well I have a tattoo on the middle of my back right on my bone where the nerves get tangled so I guess it is pretty high.

drjohnhwatson

I don't know for sure about that pain. I can suffer a lot of pain when it comes to like menstrual stuff. I can be at work in agony and I don't take any aspirin generally and I just try to suffer through it even though it's to the point where I very nearly throw up (there have been some close calls). I haven't broken any bones (yet...knock on wood...), so I can't really judge from that.

I had all four of my wisdom teeth taken out at once and there were times I was rolling around, unable to sleep and I just kept taking Advil as soon as I could. I am wary of medication, like Vicodin, so I didn't want to take any if it wasn't absolutely necessary.

But yeah. I curse like a sailor and am down for the count if I stub my toe or knee or shin or anything like that, and the last time I got stung on the arm (by a bee hidden in a jacket my mom bought and had me try on when I didn't want to, haha), I sobbed like a little child over it. Bees hurt, man.

I don't know for sure about that pain. I can suffer a lot of pain when it comes to like menstrual stuff. I can be at work in agony and I don't take any aspirin generally and I just try to suffer through it even though it's to the point where I very nearly throw up (there have been some close calls). I haven't broken any bones (yet...knock on wood...), so I can't really judge from that.

Many people don't know that painful periods come from uterine contractions. So, in severe cases, a "milder" foretaste of childbirth pain, sort of. No woman should feel guilty about having painful periods. It does hurt.

drjohnhwatson

Many people don't know that painful periods come from uterine contractions. So, in severe cases, a "milder" foretaste of childbirth pain, sort of. No woman should feel guilty about having painful periods. It does hurt.

If that's the "mild" taste for childbirth, forget childbirth (for so many reasons). I can hardly take it. Heat pads sometimes don't even help on high. I've been in the tub before, shaking and chilled, and I've had it legit all the way over and I can still feel the pain barely diminished.

And right?? About the guilt thing but for whatever reason, most of us feel guilt and as though we have to be discreet when on them.

I don't know why that is. Pain is pain and you're right. We just shouldn't feel ashamed about it. Before, I couldn't figure out why some women have to be prescribed vicodin to deal with the cramps. Um, now, I definitely get it. And maybe could use it, to be honest. :P.

Here, some old school doctors try to make women feel guilty about periods pain. It's all in the head, they say.

Here, some old school doctors try to make women feel guilty about periods pain. It's all in the head, they say.

O_O

You joking?

Pull their abdomen out of their bellies when they say that, and say "It is all in your head".

drjohnhwatson

O_O

You joking?

Pull their abdomen out of their bellies when they say that, and say "It is all in your head".

I second this. Can we also do this for people (generally boys--who act like children, REALLY.) who say that cramps "can't really be that bad" and that people who have them are "over-reacting"??

Depends on what you mean by tolerance and also the source of the pain. I'd figure I'm probably somewhere in the middle of the road most of the time. But there is one thing about me - I am a silent sufferer either way. I hardly ever cry out even when I feel enough pain to "see stars" and have my breath taken away. If the pain comes from an injury I can cope pretty well, although I may see black spots in front of my eyes and feel dizzy. But I can easily keep silence. Now if the pain comes from something someone is doing to me, like a medical procedure (or, more recently, BDSM play), I am fairly quick to "check out" in various ways. For medical stuff I tend to start losing consciousness (though I've never actually blacked out), and for BDSM activities I tend to just space out, which unlike the medical reaction, is an often pleasant place to be. Not sure how that ranks for tolerance, but imo it is more controlled than flipping out.

Let's put it this way. When I broke my ankle...the person I was hiking with flipped out so *I* calmly took the phone; explained to emergency services how to find me, flipped out *myself* when they tried to cut my shoe off (brand new shoes/laces) and bent over to take the shoe off myself (to their horror).

I further baffled them by refusing pain medication on the way to the hospital, because I didn't need it.

O_O

You joking?

I second this. Can we also do this for people (generally boys--who act like children, REALLY.) who say that cramps "can't really be that bad" and that people who have them are "over-reacting"??

Oh, here, some doctors do that too. My dad suffers from slipped disc and sciatica since decades and his pain is excruciating. A doctor told him one day that his backache was all in his head and that he should get back to work.

I went with 5, since 6 thru 9 seems a bit much. Though, as I've gotten older it has gone down a bit. My last tattoo, on my leg, was quite painful, though I calmly sat through it without moving.

Probably a 7/8 I was born with fibromyalgia, so I'm used to hurting all the time already.

I only picked six because the gunshot/next day confusion reminded me of a couple mornings after getting hit by cars. I'm not bragging either. I grew up with a brother only a few years my junior. We hit each other with everything from fists to garden hoes. I am well accustomed to bruised ribs and head injuries. I often get cut at my job too and have been in the hospital for stiches at least a half dozen times. I don't like pain but once I accepted it as part of life I learned to ignore it. I'm not tough, it's just hard to knock me down.

Dental pain to me is the worst. I have had five teeth removed. When I had my last one removed, the dentist had to grind a bit of jawbone off to get it out of the way of pulling the tooth. After each time I had a tooth pulled, my head and mouth and entire body hurt a lot. Thankfully, I usually had vicodin for it.

had to grind a bit of jawbone

@-@

AW. MY. GOODNESS!...

TheLandsBeyond

Dental pain to me is the worst. I have had five teeth removed. When I had my last one removed, the dentist had to grind a bit of jawbone off to get it out of the way of pulling the tooth. After each time I had a tooth pulled, my head and mouth and entire body hurt a lot. Thankfully, I usually had vicodin for it.

You just reminded me that numbing shots before dental procedures are actually awful. I had twelve shots before my implant surgery, but I only felt the first four! Anyway, then I had to listen to them drilling into my bone so they could insert two 14mm long titanium screws into my mouth.

Archived