Pain tolerance

Waist of Thyme

1. 1. Pain tolerance

• 0: If you breathe down my neck, the force of your breath will have me screaming and crying in complete agony for several days
    • 1: Even a hard enough touch can hurt, and light scratches are my limit
    • 2: If I bang my knee or hit my head on something, I'll be on the floor for several minutes
    • 3: I can take a few punches or kicks, but no more than a few
    • 4: I can take quite a few hits. In order to take me out quickly, you'd need a weapon that hits hard
    • 5: If I'm chasing after you, you'd better have a gun with a loaded bullet
    • 6: If I get shot in the arm, the next morning I'll wonder why my arm hurts
    • 7: I shower under a waterfall of acid, and my idea of a therapeutic massage is being drawn and quartered
    • 8: One of my favorite foods are atomic bombs. I love how when you bite them, all the flavor comes out at once. It's an explosive sensation.
    • 9: If there were a universal mass extinction event, I'd have the whole world to myself

This poll is closed to new votes

Waist of Thyme

Rate your pain tolerance on a scale from 0-9, based on the above descriptions.

I'd say I'm a 2. When I typed "If I bang my knee or hit my head on something, I'll be on the floor for several minutes", I was thinking of myself.

My pain tolerance is weird, both high and low, given that on the one hand, I'm touch averse and simple tickling makes me scream of pain ; on the other hand, I've been sick and hospitalized so many times that I've become relatively immune to moderate pain, given that I know much, much worse.

Csn't figure out all those options on the census, but my pain tolerance is about 7, due probably to being used to pain.

Artistofnoname

I've got fibromyalgia and was hit by people a lot growing up so I have developed a high tolerance.

I contemplate suicide when I bite my fingernails down too far.

Generally fairly high, but it depends on where and what the pain is. Toothache and gout I can tolerate really well, but any pain in the eyes, no. Mind I come in sufficiently on the Autistic spectrum that if there wasn't a differential diagnosis I waould be classified as having Asperger's. This may have something to do with pain tolerance

The Great WTF

My pain tolerance is on the far side of 'can set my own broken bones' and 'make the doctor's jaw drop'. <.< It's rather annoying, actually. I don't realize when I hurt myself until I look down and realize there's blood all over the place or wake up with massive bruises and no idea how they got there. When I first developed endometriosis, what should have been major pain didn't even tic my radar and the disease had developed into stage 3 before it got bad enough for me to figure out that this was more than just regular cramps.

I think I'm a 7? Like, I feel like an 8 but my mouth cant take spicy food and stuff like that so.....

On average I would say it's a 5, but if I'm really motivated I can push it higher than that.

verily-forsooth-egads

Probably a 2.5.

I'm a 6. I kinda like most pain, but it depends where it is, I guess. A hard kick in the pills is enough to fell me but at the same time I am typing with a fractured finger right now from hockey and I don't really mind aha!

Depend on the situtiation. For example when I was on a march I had bruised my ankle without knowing it, and I didn't feel it before I was done. Yay for adrenaline -.-

I am not good with pain, I become a baby everytime I stub my toe.

My pain tolerance is weird, both high and low, given that on the one hand, I'm touch averse and simple tickling makes me scream of pain ; on the other hand, I've been sick and hospitalized so many times that I've become relatively immune to moderate pain, given that I know much, much worse.

I am similar. Are you aware that what you describe is an autistic trait?

7-9. BDSM people have huuuuuuuuuuuuge pain tolerance and they got this switch which can be turned on to feel pleasure even from near boiling water over their body.

Squirrel Combat

Oh boy would I love to have the whole world to myself. Mass extinction it is!

I am similar. Are you aware that what you describe is an autistic trait?

Yes. My neurologist actually told me that I have a very rare neurological syndrome that has a lot of symptoms that are similar to Aspergers syndrome. It isn't real autism, but neurologists who don't know my brain anomaly could take it for Aspergers, because both seem similar but don't have the same origin.

About a 2. I don't have much tolerance of pain.

I'm a baby. Needles are excruciatingly painful for me, I'm in pain if someone so much as hugs me too hard and in most cases for me tickling isn't funny, its painful.

Now that said, i got bit by a dog 2 years ago, bad enough to permanently scar my leg and i didn't react at all beyond "omg, look at my leg" i think a large part of it was adrenaline and shock, but i didn't react later once it wore off either so i dunno what to make of that lol

WhenSummersGone

I voted 6. I can take a lot of physical pain usually. It's emotional pain that I can't stand easily.

Primrose Everdeen

I voted 9 even though it might not be actually as high. What I'm going on is, I've been told I have the pain threshold of a dead animal. I play (and make my living from) a rough sport, hockey. I've skated through pain, taken pucks and sticks to the face, gotten concussions, broken a cheekbone, collarbone, and ribs. None of it really bothers me. I mean, I feel the pain, but I can ignore it easily and just live my life through it. I do pop OTC painkillers all day almost every day, that said.

Also an exception to this is dental pain. Give me a toothache and I'll curl up in the corner and cry and wince until it's over.

By your descriptions, I'd probably be somewhere between a 2 or 3. I'm very clumsy so I am used to pain from running into things.

I'm a -1...where's the 'feels no pain' option?

Cia :blink:

I'd say I'm a five. I tend to not go to the doctors when I should because I don't realize how badly I'm actually hurt. I've done that several times for several reasons, stuff hurts me, but I just tend to ignore it because it doesn't hurt that bad even though it probably should.

ranting ferret

mine really depends on what it is. i got knocked around a lot in soccer (football), including a shot to the throat that left some scar tissue and locked my jaw up for a couple weeks, but none of that caused me any pain.

what i remember as being the worst pain i've felt was after getting my nose cauterized and having packing shoved up my nose, into the entire nasal cavity pretty much. and then i had to pull it out the next day. pretty sure i blacked out a couple times. it was not fun.

I'd say that I'm a 0 if you're talking about a piercing type pain, 1 if you're talking about slashing, and 6 or 7 if it's blunt. I think my Asperger's is the main reason I can't handle the pointy things so well (even though I have 2 large-ish tattoos). So I picked 3 to get a bit of an average there.

I said 7, but the scale is kind of...ugh, not all that descriptive. Where the pain is coming from (as in who inflicted the pain), where the pain is inflicted (on the body) and such affects what I can take. Banging my head on something or anything accidental doesn't really bother me at all. It's just like "oh, okay....get out of my way door." Being hit by someone is laughable. I can take a good rib jab. Again, laughable.

Hell, I can handle being cut pretty deep. Physical pain is no issue for me, for the most part. I find most enjoyable.

Now, emotional pain...that is some heavy shit. I'm a baby when it comes to that stuff.

I said I'm a 1. Lol. I'm very sensitive in a lot of ways, and pain is no different. Although I have to grin and bear it a lot...it doesn't mean I can really handle it well.

Archived