Where did you first hear about the term "asexual"?

I'll start. I was on OkCupid and saw it on someone's profile. Got curious and followed it all the way to AVEN!

So what about you?

Truth and Lies

Unfortunately, my memory is not so great, therefore I cannot recall from where I first heard the term those four or five years ago. My guess is likely Yahoo! Answers, since I used to ask all sorts of nonsense about romance and sex and relationships and the like.

MissUnderstood

My boyfriend at the time was angry that I didn't want sex and said "maybe you're asexual" despite the fact that he doesn't really think it's a real sexuality.

I was in science class, and we weren't even talking about asexual reproduction. We were just chit chatting and sex came on the table. I was like "I'm good" and my friend was like, "What are you, asexual?" and I thought, hmmmmm. So I googled it, and here I am! 2 years an Ace in February ^_^

It was lunch, my friend Emma and I were sitting outside on soccer field and we were talking about relationships we've had then she asked me “so you're not sexually attracted to anyone? I think you might be asexual" me “maybe.. I'm not sure what asexual is" our convo went similar to that.

LuckyOptimist

I think I first heard it maybe four years ago in a fanfiction. Somebody's headcanon was that the main character was asexual.

I've always thought it was interesting but never looked so much into it until now.

In an AskReddit thread.

I think I first heard it maybe four years ago in a fanfiction. Somebody's headcanon was that the main character was asexual.

I've always thought it was interesting but never looked so much into it until now.

Wow, I'm not the only one! I read it in a fanfiction with an asexual main character too. Back then I just stopped reading and thought: "How stupid, there's no such thing as asexuality!" I didn't even think about it enough to look it up.

I only realised I'm asexual when years later I looked up sexualities on Wikipedia. When I read that it was a real thing I instantly was like: "That's me!"

Friend of mine, mentioned once with other friends of ours he was aromantic asexual, I occasionally saw him on AVEN, decided to check out the site. The word made sense to me, so, here I am. :)

Conscientious Ghost

I think I first heard about the term asexual on Tumblr three years ago. This was the time I was learning about new identities and orientations, and I eventually discovered that asexual fits me.

I believe I first heard the term about 3 years ago when I was talking to a bisexual friend of mine about anxiety issues I had regarding sex. She suggested I might be asexual.

I told the story before... around age 19/20, my then-best pal's mother asked him "is [M.I.] bi?" and he answered "no, a" with a grin. That's the first time I remember hearing the word used (back then, I didn't think he was right - I do have a libido and masturbate, and I used to think that invalidates one as asexual).

I heard about it from a youtube comment on a video that I can't quite remember. >_< I think they thought that the person speaking in the video was ace and I ended up looking the word up.

I heard it from my friend, just under a year ago.

He showed me this Rihanna/Shakira music video which has a lot of partial nudity. My reply was, "aren't they cold?"

He said that I was asexual before I even knew.

House of Chimeras

Learned about it from an ABC news story back in in 2008 or 2009.

I remember going to another site and saying I was asexual. Before I knew the term. They had no idea what the meaning was. In my mind the meaning was just no sex... I was happy with that meaning :D

thatotherguy57

A friend of mine said I might be asexual several years ago, but I didn't look it up at the time. I only remembered it because it made no sense to me. In December 2013, I ran across a YouTube video discussing asexuality. It referenced AVEN, and I hopped over and started reading up for weeks before joining.

I learned of it word-of-mouth, from a friend in college, who identifies as asexual. Needless to say, I was grilling her on the topic thereafter because I certainly saw a lot of myself in what she had described to me.

butterflydreams

My dad, of all people. He told me back in 2004 or so that this kid I went to school with was asexual. Funny, because I never ever forgot the term. Then about a year ago, it popped into my head as maybe that's what I was. The rest as they say, is history.

Can't remember that well anymore. I think it was when I was searching for info either about sexual orientations or lack of interest in sex. Though I remember that from some depths of Google the term asexuality popped up and eventually it lead me here. (:

Star Inkbright

I saw it on a blog that I . . . found . . . somehow . . .
I think I had been googling something, and then I got distracted and started reading random stuff, that blog being one of them. It didn't really set off any recognition lightbulbs at the time, though, although I remembered it.

The term itself from high school biology. Of course, that was in reference to single cell organisms, sea anemones, and fungi, but I knew enough about Latin to figure out that the denotation "a" could mean either "mono" or "one" or, more importantly, "not." I actually used to joke that I was asexual (as in not-sexual) without ever really seriously considering it.

Fast forward several years to a week prior (yes, I am that new), and while browsing articles on Yahoo!News, I stumbled upon Being Asexual in a Heteronormative World. I did a double-take, uncertain as to what that really meant, but a small whispering part of me remembered my ludicrous jokes from high school, and so I clicked on the article. The article itself failed to explain asexuality, but it alluded to enough that I Googled the term, found AVEN's wikipage, found AVEN, had a minor freak out session, and have been perusing the site ever since. :D

I read an article in the magazine of a weekend newspaper, that mentioned AVEN; then I went and looked up the website.

Breathing....

Aside from science class. I heard it on a TV show (terrible reality TV, where people bring their families on and battle it out). A 15-17yo came on and said he was asexual and my mother took one look and said 'all you have to do is look at him and see he has a hormone imbalance, someone needs to sort it out before it ruins his life' and then she switched it off. From then on it never impinged on my consciousness as I thought 'asexuality' in humans was a hormone imbalance. Fast forward 5/6 years. My friend mentions it in passing and I dismissed it as hormone imbalance but for some reason I decided to look it up, found AVEN. The site was down... Did other research, found the back up forum, spent a LOT of time researching there too. And over the last few months I've started accepting that asexuality really describes my experience. Am still struggling with the idea of saying 'I am asexual' but I know it for me, others can wait.

Long story :D

i thought "i'm not homosexual, i'm not heterosexual, i'm not bisexual, i'm nothing". so i added the "a" to "sexual". it makes me laugh, in retrospect XD it was very capricious.

years later, i googled it... and here i am n.n

AccountKiller

I can't quite remember...I wanted to say it was from looking up "not wanting sex" or something similar a while back...but that just turns up worthless magazine articles about sex issues in marriage.... maybe I was page-hopping on Wikipedia? Not sure....

For myself, when I first heard the term. I remember thinking back to school when I was in Biology and hearing about plants and asexual process. Years later, I never heard the term as much as I did just a year and half ago.

The more I read up about it being an orientation and more education from my best friend who's also asexual. I found it fitting to me to a tee because of signs and experiences and tada~ I'm so relief to finally be here. :D

This March from my counsellor, whilst discussing an unrelated topic. She gave me the AVEN website address, and the rest is a well-trodden path