Participants needed for a study on sexual attitudes and attraction

Notte stellata

Notte stellata

This is a research request from Richard Lippa at California State University, Fullerton:

PARTICIPATE IN AN ONLINE STUDY OF SEXUAL ATTITUDES, PERSONALITY, AND ATTRACTION TO MALE AND FEMALE SWIMSUIT MODELS! This study run by Dr. Richard Lippa, Department of Psychology, California State University, Fullerton takes only 5 to 10 minutes to complete. Participation is totally anonymous. Contribute to scientific research on sexual attitudes and attraction in asexual individuals! We hope to share our results with AVEN when the data are collected and analyzed.

The link to our survey is:

CSUFullerton_AttractionStudy

This study has been approved for posting by the Project Team.

starrynight

Project Team

Done the survey. Thanks for posting it

The last part with the models. Looking at all the drawings was interesting but I got bored answering with "1" every time x3

When I read the instructions for this survey, I thought "HAHAHA I can't wait to get back on AVEN and read the comments." After I saw the pictures, I thought, "are you kidding me? Most of these aren't even proportionate... you'd have to be a horn dog to find that attractive." I found myself rating sex appeal on the personalities I imagined them to have based on their posture and facial expression...

Hey, sexuals, am I doing this right? :P

When I read the instructions for this survey, I thought "HAHAHA I can't wait to get back on AVEN and read the comments." After I saw the pictures, I thought, "are you kidding me? Most of these aren't even proportionate... you'd have to be a horn dog to find that attractive." I found myself rating sex appeal on the personalities I imagined them to have based on their posture and facial expression...

I showed this survey to my sexual friend and he had the same reaction. I think the highest rating he gave was a "3". Those drawings just aren't attractive or even proportionate half the time .-.

I showed this survey to my sexual friend and he had the same reaction. I think the highest rating he gave was a "3". Those drawings just aren't attractive or even proportionate half the time .-.

Well now I definitely don't feel bad for putting the lowest rating for literally every picture. They just really weren't that attractive at all.

I kept thinking... but that swimsuit doesn't suit his/her body shape at all ! (It was interesting to see how they manipulated the proportions of the people though).

LuckyOptimist

I kept thinking... but that swimsuit doesn't suit his/her body shape at all ! (It was interesting to see how they manipulated the proportions of the people though).

Those were my thoughts exactly...

TheLastOfSheila

What I did not like about the survey was it did not allow you to go back to a previous question to change your answer. For most of my life, I identified as heterosexual. It is only in the last few months, after learning more about asexuality, that I realized that I am an ace. I reflexively checked off 'Heterosexual' instead of 'Asexual', and only realized at the last second my mistake. I made mention of it in the comment section of the survey, not sure if that will help. Hope I did not skew the data.

Oh, and those pictures of the swimsuit models...*shudder*

Aisntllecxtual

Finished it. No sexual attraction. As hetero-aesthetic ace, were some of the female portraits more aesthetically attractive than others? Sure, but that is saying preciously little. It was not pleasing to the eye to say the very least, but maybe that was the purpose: despite the minimalist portrayals, will, sexual attraction in significantly distinguishing fashion manifest/abide in participants? Or, maybe, this rhetorical question is just indicative of my befuddlement, my rationalizing asexual twist on trying to make sense of the survey.

Primrose Everdeen

Done. I think some of the questions needed an "N/A" answer especially since it was posted on a website for asexuals.

take your time looking at the pictures?, I almost couldn't look, it was a torture, some of the women looked good though (not sexually)

done. The models were "ugh" Oh Boy.................. I think one of them got something other than the bottom mark. REALLY?

I wanted to take this survey -- I've never found a swimsuit model of any gender "attractive" in my life, and wanted to let the researchers know that. It's important for researchers to know that asexual people exist, and that some folks aren't attracted to images of people.

However, I got to this question, and had to stop the survey, because there is no option for "I am not sexually attracted to anyone," not to mention the problem here with the conflation of "people one is attracted to in real life" and "people one fantasizes about" (and the fact that people can only find one gender attractive in real life but fantasize exclusively about another... these things are completely different), AS WELL AS the the problems with the phrasing "opposite sex" when sex is non-binary, as these researchers somewhat acknowledges in the opening questions about sex (by which the researchers actually meant gender):

Think about your sexual feelings (the extent to which you are attracted to and fantasize about persons of the opposite or same sex.) Would you say they are:
  • Exclusively heterosexual
  • Predominantly heterosexual, only occasionally homosexual
  • Predominantly heterosexual, but more than occasionally homosexual
  • Equally heterosexual and homosexual (i.e. Bisexual)
  • Predominantly homosexual, but more than occasionally heterosexual
  • Predominantly homosexual, only occasionally heterosexual
  • Exclusively homosexual

They created a somewhat roundabout way to say one is non-binary gender (saying "transgendered" for your sex, then no to FTM, no to MTF, and no to transsexual -- which yes only works for SOME non-binary people, but at least it didn't completely rule all non-binary trans folks out?) and then here... "opposite sex" and everything framed as binary, and asexual people not included at all.

As there was no option I could honestly pick, I had to quit the survey. I thought the researcher was interested in asexual people's points of view, which is how this survey ended up on AVEN? But a question like this, that has no option for "none of the above," rules many of us out.

Also, aesthetic attraction =/= sexual attraction, but perhaps is over the heads of these people. Or maybe not, I don't know. If they want to study just sexual attraction, fine, just let us say "I don't experience that."

The last part with the models. Looking at all the drawings was interesting but I got bored answering with "1" every time x3

I was thinking about how I needed to work on my shading skills.

take your time looking at the pictures?, I almost couldn't look, it was a torture, some of the women looked aesthetically good though

I rated two of them as a 1 even. they had nice faces. None of the guys though. What's with the pokey 'ahem' and contours in some of them. And this is odd: I am hetroromantic and certainly not interested in females. They looked better in this one though.

What do we put of we are asexual for the part about our orientation when it has no option for it?

I put in my romantic orientation, like if you're biromantic, answer bisexual. If you have no romantic orientation though… er, idk.

This is of course inaccurate and could mess up the data, but if I remember correctly, there was a question at the beginning that allowed us to identify as asexual. So if they're going to make asexual an option and then ignore that option for the rest of the survey, it's their own fault the data will get messed up .-.

Oh, and then there's the inability to go back to a question and change your answer… TheLastOfSheila and a friend I showed the survey to both answered a question incorrectly and couldn't change it. So even ignoring the asexual inconsistencies, the data is already going to be skewed because of the inability to change answers .-.

Måskemigselvetsted

Answered, but I also had problems with the question about whether I was mostly heterosexual or homosexual. That's pretty cis (considering the had the option "transgendered!) and how am I supposed to answer that honestly, if I don't feel sexual attraction? But the rest was pretty simple. I hope they get some good results. :)

Ok, I had to take it based on the swimsuit comments... Oh wow.... lol

And the personality questions were kinda mean... For example, I am very much independent, but very much NOT assertive... But they were part of the same question, not individualized.

So if they're going to make asexual an option and then ignore that option for the rest of the survey, it's their own fault the data will get messed up .-.

Yeah, I kinda felt that way throughout the entire survey as well... I definitely don't feel as though it was really a fair measure of this side of the rainbow...

What do we put of we are asexual for the part about our orientation when it has no option for it?

I put in my romantic orientation, like if you're biromantic, answer bisexual. If you have no romantic orientation though… er, idk.

This is of course inaccurate and could mess up the data, but if I remember correctly, there was a question at the beginning that allowed us to identify as asexual. So if they're going to make asexual an option and then ignore that option for the rest of the survey, it's their own fault the data will get messed up .-.

Oh, and then there's the inability to go back to a question and change your answer… TheLastOfSheila and a friend I showed the survey to both answered a question incorrectly and couldn't change it. So even ignoring the asexual inconsistencies, the data is already going to be skewed because of the inability to change answers .-.

I don't recall a question in the beginning that allowed a respondent to identify as asexual. I may not have gotten there, however, because I couldn't answer the "what sex do you feel sexual attraction towards" question (and found it really problematic in other ways as well), and quit the survey.

The inability to change answers also bothered me. In the first question, they ask for your sex (not gender) and the options were "male, female, transgendered [sic]". So, trans women aren't female, and trans men aren't male? WTF? That was all pretty cissexist right there, however one interprets the question. (I think that's what they were getting at -- in this questionnaire, there are males, females, and trans people, who are MTF, FTM, transsexual, and none of the above.)

And then I had to guess whether in this question they meant "sex" or "gender", because if the next question was about gender, and this question was about "anatomical sex" or... something (I don't know, it's still cissexist), I might have to go back and change my answer, and wouldn't be able to!

The next questions were: "Are you MTF?" "Are you FTM"? and "Are you transsexual?" so it was possible to answer no to all three and still have selected transgender (e.g., for non-binary people). I had the feeling this was more of a glitch in the test than an actual thought-out path for non-binary people, as in, they would expect everyone who answered "transgender" to pick yes to at least one of those follow-up questions, and wouldn't know what to do with a no response to all three. ("BUT BUT YOU SAID YOU WERE TRANS!")

And then we got to the very binary, and completely ace erasing question that made me quit the survey. Not to mention, "fantasies" and who one is attracted to in "real life" do not always match (someone can be fantasize about some set of genders and not feel attraction toward anyone at all in "real life," someone can be attracted to one gender in real life and solely find fantasies of another arousing, etc.). It basically looked like "so rate yourself on the Kinsey scale" and hi, sexual orientation ISN'T LINEAR. Nor is gender binary.

If you want to poll just cis, binary, non-ace people, fine -- just say so upfront. Don't ask for ace input and then give us no way to honestly answer your questions without lying about ourselves (e.g. by saying "bisexual" if we feel equally no attraction to any gender, or creatively reinterpreting your questions and substituting romantic orientation for sexual orientation).

Måskemigselvetsted

I don't recall a question in the beginning that allowed a respondent to identify as asexual. I may not have gotten there, however, because I couldn't answer the "what sex do you feel sexual attraction towards" question (and found it really problematic in other ways as well), and quit the survey.

The inability to change answers also bothered me. In the first question, they ask for your sex (not gender) and the options were "male, female, transgendered [sic]". So, trans women aren't female, and trans men aren't male? WTF? That was all pretty cissexist right there, however one interprets the question. (I think that's what they were getting at -- in this questionnaire, there are males, females, and trans people, who are MTF, FTM, transsexual, and none of the above.)

And then I had to guess whether in this question they meant "sex" or "gender", because if the next question was about gender, and this question was about "anatomical sex" or... something (I don't know, it's still cissexist), I might have to go back and change my answer, and wouldn't be able to!

The next questions were: "Are you MTF?" "Are you FTM"? and "Are you transsexual?" so it was possible to answer no to all three and still have selected transgender (e.g., for non-binary people). I had the feeling this was more of a glitch in the test than an actual thought-out path for non-binary people, as in, they would expect everyone who answered "transgender" to pick yes to at least one of those follow-up questions, and wouldn't know what to do with a no response to all three. ("BUT BUT YOU SAID YOU WERE TRANS!")

And then we got to the very binary, and completely ace erasing question that made me quit the survey. Not to mention, "fantasies" and who one is attracted to in "real life" do not always match (someone can be fantasize about some set of genders and not feel attraction toward anyone at all in "real life," someone can be attracted to one gender in real life and solely find fantasies of another arousing, etc.). It basically looked like "so rate yourself on the Kinsey scale" and hi, sexual orientation ISN'T LINEAR. Nor is gender binary.

If you want to poll just cis, binary, non-ace people, fine -- just say so upfront. Don't ask for ace input and then give us no way to honestly answer your questions without lying about ourselves (e.g. by saying "bisexual" if we feel equally no attraction to any gender, or creatively reinterpreting your questions and substituting romantic orientation for sexual orientation).

The question came just after the one you couldn't answer.

And then in the end they asked if we had answered the questions honestly. Well.

The question came just after the one you couldn't answer.

And then in the end they asked if we had answered the questions honestly. Well.

Haha! That's so ridiculous. If you say "no," I bet they toss out your whole survey, too, because you "lied" or "didn't take it seriously." I think that's how these things work.

Archived