Why is the Ottawa shooting considered a big deal?

a_friend

Ok guys, I'm completely drawing a blank here. I feel like there is something I'm missing about this whole debacle and if anyone could inform me what they think that is it would be greatly appreciated.

In my Canadian city, countless people are murdered every year. Literally countless, as often the bodies aren't even found/ recovered. In my city murder is considered an every day thing. So I'm left completely speechless and dumbfounded that 1 adult white man on parliament grounds is killed in Ottawa and all of a sudden there are thousands of people showing up to show their support, it's the front page headline of the news every single day, and even the prime minister and potential upcoming prime ministers are making speeches about it going on and on about this "tragedy" as if it were unique??

Can someone tell me what about this murder warrants all of these speeches??? What is so significant about it?? I REALLY HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IS GOING ON.

I'm sorry I'm not familiar with that accident and probably will say something obvious, but.. *sigh* never mind. There are just deaths, and there are useful deaths, ones that some people can use to achieve certain goals. Apparently this one was useful for someone, not Horst Wessel level of usefulness, but still enough.

Ok guys, I'm completely drawing a blank here. I feel like there is something I'm missing about this whole debacle and if anyone could inform me what they think that is it would be greatly appreciated.

In my Canadian city, countless people are murdered every year. Literally countless, as often the bodies aren't even found/ recovered. In my city murder is considered an every day thing. So I'm left completely speechless and dumbfounded that 1 adult white man on parliament grounds is killed in Ottawa and all of a sudden there are thousands of people showing up to show their support, it's the front page headline of the news every single day, and even the prime minister and potential upcoming prime ministers are making speeches about it going on and on about this "tragedy" as if it were unique??

Can someone tell me what about this murder warrants all of these speeches??? What is so significant about it?? I REALLY HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IS GOING ON.

Because it is a "Big Deal"

a_friend...not wanting to waste too many gigabytes repeating myself...get on to the 'Hot Box' thread referred to above [^] and discuss it there! [take your conscience with you] Cia :angry:

Forget it- I could get better, quicker answers on freaking yahoo answers. Without having to deal with ornery forum-pedantics.

ChainSmokingBob

I agree with the OP's point.

It was a soldier who died this time, is that right? What we've got, if I've remembered this correctly, is just the difference in reaction to the murders you see and don't, and the unpleasant way people place a value on people's lives.

If I were Canadian, I would be just as sick of the crap as the OP is. As it is now I don't even care to hear about it. He's dead, one of plenty, and he doesn't need my sympathy -- he's got almost all of Canada's as it is.

Because that government building is supposed to be well guarded - and it´s not.

The similar situation happened in my country with fake assassination of our president. One guy just came close to him and shot him from that plastic pistol for kids. If he had real weapon, the president would be dead, which is very disturbing. What are all bodyguards for?

Because this doesn't happen every day, or every year, or frankly at all. There are very few murders in Ottawa. In central Ottawa, the ward where this happened, there was 1 murder in 2012 and none in 2013 (took stats from the Ottawa Police). We don't have shootings. People don't worry about whether their neighbours will go off on one.

Combine that with the fact that it was a point-blank shot at someone guarding the tomb of the unknown soldier, which is seen as the ultimate symbol of peace and reflection.

Combine that with the fact that he made it past security guards and into parliament.

And all this because of a mental health issue not appropriately addressed combined with extremist ideology.

That's why it's a big deal. It's not a big deal BECAUSE someone died, it's a big deal WHY it happened in the first place and HOW it happened. Will it change the city? No. Except for having to dodge media trucks everywhere. But it'll likely change national treatment of suspected terrorists (I'm not fully in favour of the proposed changes, but my feelings aren't straight forward and this isn't the place), and it will beef up security to parliament itself.

If someone got into your local government building with a gun and started shooting EVEN IF THEY DIDN'T HIT ANYONE, it would be a big deal.

And, as mentioned, if you want to muse about potentially inflammatory issues, please take it over to Hot Box.

Too Old for this Site

Well, I'm in the US, and in the news I received here, no mention was made of the fact that the person who died was an "adult white man." Instead, the reason this was news here was that it was the second in a possible series of terrorists attacks on Canada (not just on an individual). It was also news because Parliament's Sergeant of Arms shot and killed the terrorist before he managed to kill any more people - either soldiers, government officials, or civilians. It was also news because a large section of Canada's Capitol was on lock down for a significant length of time.

So, yeah. This is unique. It's a big deal, and definitely qualifies as news.

Murders among civilians are also a big deal, and it would be inaccurate to act as if these are being ignored. It's unusual to get through any news broadcast without hearing the details of one or more homicides - including robberies, gang violence, and domestic violence.

Murders of this type are a big deal because they are attempts to kill a whole political system through murders of individual(s).

SorryNotSorry

Because that government building is supposed to be well guarded - and it´s not.

The similar situation happened in my country with fake assassination of our president. One guy just came close to him and shot him from that plastic pistol for kids. If he had real weapon, the president would be dead, which is very disturbing. What are all bodyguards for?

^This.^

The hubbub over the stranger who snuck into the White House and ran around inside it for a while, touched off a scandal that pissed off some VIPs, because it made the Secret Service appear to be getting lax on doing their job.

I appreciate the real answers, thanks.

Murders among civilians are also a big deal, and it would be inaccurate to act as if these are being ignored. It's unusual to get through any news broadcast without hearing the details of one or more homicides - including robberies, gang violence, and domestic violence.

Beyond the top headlines, everyone I knew was talking about this being a tragedy, so I would not say civilian murders are considered a big deal in comparison. The public outpouring of support in particular threw me offguard, why people mourn him over anyone else. If Ottawa's that much more peaceful than my city it does explain it to some degree I suppose. Considering though that the culprit was just one mentally deranged individual who didn't actually get near any supposedly high-profile target (nor would someone like him be capable of, if he is going to randomly shoot guards) the level of drama surrounding this was surprising.

The context provided was helpful at least, thank you. I suppose getting past the front gate is news worthy in and of itself lke you said.

a_friend...not wanting to waste too many gigabytes repeating myself...get on to the 'Hot Box' thread referred to above [^] and discuss it there! [take your conscience with you] Cia :angry:

yet you yourself don't even know why you feel the way you do, because it isn't a big deal.

Forget it- I could get better, quicker answers on freaking yahoo answers. Without having to deal with ornery forum-pedantics.

a_friend...I suggest that if you're going to quote anything I post, then quote the whole thing...in context!

Don't go trivialising this issue by nibbling away at others' responses. Another suggestion is, cut the accusative drivel

. Apart from barely making sense...don't go telling me how I feel!

As for the second silly sentence

Once again, it's barely understandable...it appears you spend too much time on "yahoo". If you can't "deal with ornery [whatever that means] forum-pedantics", then get off it and find your-self another site. Pity help them!

Cia :angry:

Why did you post the same thing twice, Espresso?

I apologise Unbanned...I made a simple error. I pushed the 'Post' button twice. I suggest Admods may wish to 'merge' them. If 2 is 2 many...then ignore 1 of them! Cia :ph34r:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALEaAAU3KAE#t=159

just saw this post by russel brand. he makes many leaps but he also gives voice to a lot of things that are going unsaid, worth watching imo.

Ah! Russell Brand. The voice of reason? Or a nation's fool? The guy can make some sense, but unfortunately his school boy attitude when it comes to "arguing", his foppish ways, the behaviour of always seeming to being drug addled and his past misdemeanour's, usually leave him open to complete ridicule and his fan boys and girls are often miffed by that.

Archived