Schromantics?

Agent Shade

When I started getting my resources my 10th grade research paper back in early September, I got the book The Invisible Orientation, and I found the term Schromantic in it. Ever since I started high school, I began to notice I would shift around between homo and aromantic, but I shrugged it off, claiming I was simply homoromantic. However, last winter it became much more noticeable, and I told my closest friends that I was fluid between homo and aromantic. All of the were supportive, as they already knew about my asexuality, but they said to not worry about it and as I get older it might begin to settle into one of the two. Which wasn't a bad thing to say. It just wasn't as a educated thing to say as I thought.

So when around 7 weeks ago I saw that term in the book, I felt surprised yet happy that it was actually a thing, but I thought about it for a while, seeing if the label seemed right for me. Over the past week, I decided to identify with the term; I'm mostly on the homoromantic side, but I know there's some aromantic in there.

I'm just wondering how many schromantics are around, because so far I haven't seen any others on this site, and I'd like to get to know people who also feel this way, as I don't know anyone else that does except for myself.

I don't think I've read the term from anyone else on here either. Never even heard of it till now.

A Google search shows that the term has been used on here... In March of this year, in an Asexual Q&A thread. It means having the possibility of being romantic or aromantic at given time.

Ummm...what does schromantic mean?! :huh:

It means you're aromantic and romantic at the same time, or some mix of the two. The term is based of Schrodinger's cat, who had the concept of being alive and dead at the same time.

Interesting. I might be schromantic. I'm not sure, though. It can get really confusing for me at times.

I guess the term could apply to me, as I'm not sure if I am truly aro ace or just in the gray area for both. Like, I could see myself having a completely normal romantic/sexual relationship with someone if I actually ever experience this attraction. And I'm not totally indifferent to either gender, which I would think I would be if I was 100% aromantic and asexual. I've had a couple of...crushes, I guess, that seem different from the "squish" feeling. But honestly, I'm just more comfortable with the aromantic label right now. It works and I can readjust it if I ever see the need to. And, I'm not too fond of creating some of these new terms on AVEN. Most people have never heard of them, and I feel it just hurts visibility more than it helps at this point in time.

The term is based of Schrodinger's cat, who had the concept of being alive and dead at the same time.

Aaaaah, that etymology makes sense! Thanks!

(I guess it threw me off because being German myself, I expect umlaut dots on Schrödinger. :lol: )

What is the difference between schromantic snd grey-romantic ? Aren't they supposed to be synonymous ?

What is the difference between schromantic snd grey-romantic ? Aren't they supposed to be synonymous ?

If it is, then it's quite possible for them to co-exist, just as demiromantic is a TYPE of gray romantic, so it could be synonymous with gray romantic, but just another differentiation

The term is based of Schrodinger's cat, who had the concept of being alive and dead at the same time.

Aaaaah, that etymology makes sense! Thanks!

(I guess it threw me off because being German myself, I expect umlaut dots on Schrödinger. :lol: )

All the Schrömantiker in the house? :ph34r:

Well, greyromantic is when you rarely feel romantic attraction to start with. Schromantic is when you do still feel romantic attraction, but you don't at the same time. Everyone is different; I feel romantic attraction more often than I don't, definitely more often than the typical greyromantic. But I sometimes either don't feel romantic, or feel romantic and aromantic at the same time. Does that make sense?

Not entirely; Gray-romantic is an umbrella term and has several types under its belt (mostly ones that don't have titles yet and why the term is used). It means any orientation between romantic and aromantic, so the term your using is under Gray-romantic. (btw AVEN's wiki doesn't list everything, so your orientation not being on the gray page doesn't mean that its something else all together)

• 2 weeks later...

Saying its romantic and aromantic at the same time is contradictory and too vague. Do you mean its romantic attraction with no romantic drive? Or you go between periods of wanting and not wanting a romantic relationship? Your attraction turning off and on for a person? Or you feel romantic attraction until you try to define it and then it goes away?

Schromantic sounds like it describes me, if "interchanging between romantic and aromantic" or "feeling romantic and aromantic at the same time" is what it means (still not entirely sure). But I'd still call myself grey-aromantic, because I feel romantic attraction way LESS than the times when I feel completely aromantic. However, at the last "fading out" of my heteroromantic-ness I did actually feel hetero and aro at the same time, if that makes any amount of sense ... kind of hard to describe. I guess it is like Schodinger's cat - I felt both, until I decided to examine my feelings properly, and found that I was fully aro.

This sounds like where I could be coming from.

as Aworld mentioned fading out of romance, it reminds me of how a lot of my orientation just seems so fluid.

Sometimes I wonder whether it's all just symptoms of a disorder, or I'm just crazy fickle :s.

Archived