LGBTQ Studies Class...

PaperCranes

Hello All!

I'm in an LGBTQ studies class this quarter. My TA for the class (who teaches our smaller section class) is a masculine, female-bodied individual, so obviously she's had her own history of being oppressed/erased. However, in class the other day, we were discussing a reading, and she said something along the lines of, "I'm sure all of you have had those types of sexual feelings towards someone before", and obviously being an ace (never had sex, don't want to), I was a little upset.

Is it worth it for me to talk to her and tell her I'm ace and that she could use more inclusive language? Or is it pointless? I'm getting the feeling that asexuals are very much not a recognized part of the LGBTQ spectrum, and I'm not sure if it's a useless battle.

Anyone been in a similar situation? Advice?

Well, if you feel uncomfortable with the way she talks about it and you are comfortable to tell her, then yes, it could be worth talking to her.

I don't think you need to be upset about it, I'm asexual but I still talk to everyone as if they aren't :) It's just easier to say it like that, and depending on context the meaning behind it can vary.

LGBT do not pay much attention to the asexuals, nor their community from what I've seen. But that's because it isn't out there properly yet.

Before you see it as a useless battle, then remember at one point then they Gay community was treated in a similar ways but also much, much worse and now they're as solid as any other group. Just because it's bleak now doesn't mean it always will be ^^

I'd speak up. Especially since it's an LGBT Studies class, it's really important to educate even your educators on their language. Hell, I had a friend who I know has been doing LGBT activism for years (at least 10!) and I taught him the language for designating romanticism for asexuals. Sometimes people just haven't learned it, even if they're in a teaching or activist position.

Well, talking to her is right, but make sure that you have recomendations as to what she could say that you feel would be more inclusive, so that she's not left without any alternatives.

You can't give up if you haven't tried! I agree with Ficulnean that you should have some constructive suggestions, but also try to stay respectful since it is your professor.

Well, it's not a battle until someone fights, oui?

And by that I don't mean to be empowering you to do battle; I'm meaning to point out that she hasn't fought yet and calling it a battle now reveals the assumption that she will (in some way).

If you let the battle notion dissolve, you may relieve yourself of (some) worry now and you'd be giving her the benefit of the doubt (which is fair).

You can't give up if you haven't tried! I agree with Ficulnean that you should have some constructive suggestions, but also try to stay respectful since it is your professor.

Or wait until the end of term. No, honestly. This is good advice, I just can never figure out how to interact with people at all so I forgot about this bit. If you know how to manage it though, it is well worth planning out how to stay on some respectful script.

You know, I can't help but be argumentative; just to present a different perspective..which happens to be mine (ha!)...

You shouldn't be respectful of your professor since it is your professor; you should be respectful because she's alive.

Otherwise, I think we risk being a slave to the notion that some people are worthy of more respect than others (which happens to mean that we're somewhere in that mess,too) and that we apply respect based on things we don't have control over...so we can't appreciate the value of our respect.

Certified Cake Decorator

My Human Sexualities class had a whole 1/2 page about Asexuality. It even mentioned AVEN!

Although the info was a little dated...

I know someone who teaches gender/sexuality related things - and she is over the moon when someone in her class pulls her up on her lack of inclusive language.

Nobody is perfect. Classes should be about everyone learning - not just the "students"