Asexuality/Aromanticism - beneficial?

Zerο

So I know a lot of people see their sexual/romantic orientations see as a hindrance (naturally, it limits the potential dating pool), but does anyone else see them as an advantage? I'm personally sexually repulsed and aromantic (possibly lithromantic as well/instead), and to me I'm grateful because that just means I have two less things to worry about. I do very well alone, and although a romantic partner may make life more interesting (like my friends do) - I'm content without one. In any case, even if I had one - ideally I wouldn't treat them any different than say a best friend (with the additional benefit of longer reliability).

Hi! well, I do have times when I say 'I'm free, no worries for me' and feel the way you say, but I'm afraid of the future. Now I'm young and I don't think about these things, but what if when I'm past 30 I want to have a child, what if I'll become lonely, my parents will eventually question me and so on ..... It's great that you don't have this stressful thoughts like me, I want to think all the time I'm free! Let's think positive ^_^

I'm either a demi-biromantic or biromantic asexual and I personally both like and dislike it. Mostly because I come from a really conservative Christian background. I dislike it because I feel that I can't be open about who I am to my family--who would very much lose it to hear that I am both romantically attracted to men and women (may actually be polyromantic, but I'm undecided on that as I've only ever personally known people who identified as male or female). Other than this inconvenience, I rather find it freeing to actually have a working label for myself after so many years of giving myself the orientation "heterosexual, I guess."

Attractive dp Veranna. From my perspective asexuality doesn't get you into unwanted pregnancies, stupd dating - couple problems, health issues, body image issues, it is total peace of mind ^_^

My life definitely became a lot easier and more relaxed when medication turned me effectively aro. Including making me, for the first time in my life, actually able to be in a long, loving "semi-platonic" relationship with someone. (Having a tiny dating pool is still a lot better than to be an undateable asshole, and I have no doubt that was exactly what I used to be, pre-med... going from "flat zero" to "very very few" is still a clear increase in potential partners. ;)) So, yes on the romance front - being aro, chemically induced as it is, has been a priceless blessing for me.

As for asexuality - being repulsed, I'm pretty sure it's much easier being ace, and I certainly consider myself lucky to be asexual by nature. If I were sexual, I suppose that it would just turn out to be the same source of constant self-loathing that being romantic was for me for almost two decades - struggling with a desire that disgusts me. I'm glad I don't have to "live life in hard mode" like that.

*shrug* You win some, you lose some. Being aromantic and asexual certainly means I won't ever be heartbroken but on the other hand I'll never get to experience those emotions romantic/sexuals never get tired of assuring they're the most wonderful thing in the world (why would they lie? It must be true for them). I think either orientation has some benefits and difficulties and I always get the feeling that most people are quite happy the way they are. Which probably is because they don't know how it is to be different. Makes it a little hard to be objective. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think in necessarily less issues, I think like everything its a compromise for which issues and problems, I don't have many of the same ones as my friends but I do have my own unique ones :D

I think it all kinda depends. I used to be glad that I'm mostly aromantic and romance repulsed but not anymore. Now that I have someone I care about I wish I was more "normal" and less repulsed. I'm fine being alone. It's just when I meet someone and they've become romantically interested in me, things get messed up. The mood swings. They are getting to me. Sometimes I don't feel a thing but it comes to bite me in the ass later.

It's great that I don't have to worry about my appearance (being hairless as a 4 year old girl, staying fit, etc) and change it in order to attract a male, or about pregnancy and STDs, amongst other things... I don't need to get laid to be happy, so yeah, it's very freeing to be ace!!! ^_^

However, I wish I could get rid of my romantic feelings. I'd hate to be in a romantic relationship, even if I could find one (being ace makes it impossible though) so having those kind of feelings is very useless and inconvenient. :angry:

Conscientious Ghost

Almost everything in life has pros and cons; positives and negatives; good and bad. Being an aromantic asexual still ties in my life of advantages and disadvantages. Although I was early experiencing depression and loneliness because people around can't understand why I am who I am now and compare me from the past, I'm glad in the moment and perhaps the far future I don't need to express concerns about sexual and romantic relationships along with dating, marriage, and protection.

It's heavy pressure that I can simply turn my head away from and move on with my life. Despite experiencing loneliness, it doesn't mean I don't enjoy solitude. I'm at a moment in life I'm appreciating what and who I have now because I can possibly die at any given time. If I were to die alone, I will die with a smile because I have enjoy what gave me life. I'm all right.

Until recently I've always thought of being aromantic as a significantly negative thing. It's easy to feel invisible/insignificant when your peers start talking about all the romantic relationships they've been in. Sometimes I wish I could just go with the flow, since steering clear of any romantic/sexual relationships makes me feel like I'm missing some big component of growing up and living life.

But as much of a hindrance it can be, if I were given the chance to make myself "normal", I would probably choose to stay as I am. I think being aromantic has given me a sense of freedom, a feeling that I can take life on at my own pace. It's become so central to my identity that without it I would be a completely different person, personality-wise.

In short, at first being aro ace doesn't seem all that great... But you can turn it into a positive thing once you realize that you are not obligated to live the same way as the people around you.

I think there are lots of advantages - not needing to worry about heartbreak or trying to impress other people - but they can be hard to see through the negative aspects. I'm sure it would be easier if everyone else in the world already knew about aromanticism so it didn't constantly need explaining, and if the world wasn't completely catered to alloromantics all the time.

I agree with some of the above comments that pointed out that there are both advantages and disadvantages to being aromantic and/or asexual. Personally, I love being aro/ace and wouldn't change it even if I could, but I still recognize that the are some parts of my life that would be easier if I were sexual. I think every orientation has its pros and cons, and none are necessarily better than the others.

Archived