Did you take anaphrodisiacs as a preteen or teenager?

LeeBree

taking anaphrodisiacs as a teen/preteen  

1. 1. Did you take anaphrodisiacs as a teen/preteen

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

I doubt there'd be a correlation, but it's worth asking just in case I suppose. An anaphrodisiac is a substance that inhibits sex drive. Alchohol, tobacco, birth control, and antidepressants are examples of these. There's many other drugs that are allegedly, but not confirmed to be anaphrodisiacs, which makes this question pretty hard to ask or answer.

I'm an ace, and I wonder if it could have anything to do with anaphrodisiacs. I started taking birth control only a few months after my periods started when I was 14 I suppose, and have been drugged up with so much crap I can't even remember all the names. Straterra, Ritallin, some anti-depressant that made me vomit everywhere, some sleeping drug, etc. This started at age 9, and continued until I decided to quit all that stuff and control my own self at age 13, therapists and their endless prescriptions be damned! I started birth control at age 14 though and still take them today.

So anyway, since the preteen and teenage years are when most develop their sexual attractions, perhaps taking anaphrodisiacs during that developmental time stopped the brain from forming how it normally would, decreasing libido, and perhaps, since it was during such a developmental time, it could have prevented the formation of sexual attraction as well?

Like I said, I doubt there's a correlation, as there's probably far too many aces who weren't drugged up preteens/teens, and too many sexuals who were and ended up sexual anyway. Buuuut, what's the harm in asking right? ^^ So, please state your sexual orientation, if you took anaphrodisiacs as a preteen or teen, and… the state of your libido too if you want, why not. And let me know if you feel this question is even remotely reasonable in the first place ^^'

The only anaphrodisiac I took regularly was the pill, and that was when I was around 16-17 because my periods were unbearable. I only took it for a few years. I'm okay now so I don't bother. Alcohol, tobacco, drugs etc.. I've never taken those, certainly not on a regular enough basis for it to have any lasting effect.

But libido has very little to do with sexual attraction (or lack thereof), so I doubt there's a correlation.

The only thing out of that list I really take is birth control, and I do it for predictable periods. I started taking it a while after I had lost my virginity, and I had experienced sex repulsion/lack of interest in sex for many, many years before this.

Oddly enough, alcohol and drugs (not prescription) seem to boost my sex drive.... it's actually irritating and I'm pretty straight edge now so only a drink here and there for me now.

Hm, well apparently soy is listed as an an anaphrodisiac. Significant portion of my pre-teen - early teen years, I used soy milk as an alternative to regular cow's milk. I have vaguely heard that soy may increase estrogen levels in males, but also seems some studies indicate it's not really the case. Still interesting it's listed as an anaphrodisiac.

So being a heteroromantic asexual, I really have no idea where to link it. Never really recall my sex drive being any more, or any less, or the same as the present.

I no longer consume soy milk (the taste really isn't what I remembered it to be) but instead consume almond milk and occasionally rice milk.

If I did, I didn't know about it.

I'm nonlib ace

Another nonlibidoist ace, but I don't think I've taken any anaphrodisiacs

I started taking antidepressants only as late as age 33. Still on the same one today (citalopram). and their effect on my "romance drive" was overwhelmingly stronger than the one on my libido - libido just got slightly dampened, whereas romance got more or less switched off, from hair-trigger hyperromantic to effectively aro.

If anything I've taken in my early years had any such effect, I wouldn't know about it... and I hardly ever took any medicine, anyway.

Nope. The most I've had is ~10 mL of wine by accident on two (three?) occasions after I turned 18--I was clearly different from my peers before that time. Never smoked, never taken the pill.

Welp, seems there really is no correlation. Thanks for the answers!

No, nothing.

But it is horrible how they put you under so many drugs at so young age, instead of trying to really help you. Crazy world...

Never taken anything.

Aisntllecxtual

No.

WhenSummersGone

I've tried many things as well as not being on anything and nothing changed. Even my libido stays the same.

I didn't start taking any regular medication until I was 20. I had a few issues in the past, but doctors always advised against medication because they were worried about the side effects drugs could have on me at such a young age.

Primrose Everdeen

I voted yes because I started drinking alcohol at age 6. I took some SSRI's when I was a teenager, as well.

I didn't start taking any of those until my 20's, even though I sure could've used some (anti-depressants, birth control for my stupid periods) in my teens.

It's interesting that you should ask this, because I have wondered the same thing in the past. I've been on Ritalin and Concerta, and they tried me on a few other psychotherapeudic drugs. However, I've come to the conclusion that I don't think it affected my asexuality one way or the other. I was repulsed by the idea of sex pretty much ever since I heard what it was. (I know many kids are grossed out by the idea when they first hear of it, but it seems that that goes away for most people, and never did for me.) My point is that although I was on some of those drugs right before, during, and after puberty, I am pretty sure I would have ended up the way I am regardless.

Nope. The first time I took any sort of anaphrodisiac medication (anti-anxiety/depression meds) I was already in my 20s. I noticed no difference in my (gray)-asexuality. I also don't drink (ever) or do drugs. It may also be worth mentioning that I've recently (in the past few years) developed multiple sclerosis. One symptom of MS is sexual dysfunction. Still haven't noticed any difference between now and my teen years, aside from the fact that I'm LESS repulsed by the idea of sex than I used to be.

• 11 months later...

This poll is being locked and moved to the read-only Census Archive for 2014. As part of ongoing Census Forum organization, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, each poll will last for one year. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

Census Moderator

Archived